Fuck or Die
|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Mate or Die|
|Related:||dub-con, heat fic, knotting, Aliens Made Them Do It, Alpha/Beta/Omega|
|See Also:||Forced Marriage, Mates (trope), Pon Farr|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Original Fannish Source
Although Fuck or Die has been used as a plot device in many fandoms since, its starting place was a canon source: the Pon Farr endured by Spock in Star Trek: The Original Series. In the episode, "Amok Time", Spock enters Plak Tow and must return home to fight, fuck or die. Many K/S stories started with Spock going into pon farr, and as Trek fans moved on to other fandoms, they took the trope with them.
Many fans ignore that Spock's explanation emphasized that pon farr makes you go home. This would rule out his being able to consummate with anyone away from Vulcan. But it makes a good story.
The concept was revisited in the movie Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (between Saavik and a reborn Spock), the Star Trek: Voyager episodes, "Blood Fever" (with Vorik) and "Body and Soul" (with Tuvok), and the Star Trek: Enterprise episode, "Bounty" (with T'Pol).
- list of fuck or die stories on the Archive Of Our Own here
- list of Starsky & Hutch fuck or die stories here
- list of Supernatural fandom "sex pollen & fuck or die" Sam/Dean stories at sd_recs
- astolat's Supernatural classic Bad Blood, in which in a fuck-or-die scenario in a remote location Dean initially attempts to fuck a horse rather than his brother.
- The Sound of Wind Chimes by Sarah Stegall caused a lot of controversity back in the day in X-Files fandom