|Relationships:||Younger brother of Dean Winchester, older half brother of Adam Milligan, son of Mary Winchester and John Winchester|
|Other:||Played by actor Jared Padalecki as an adult, by actor Colin Ford in most flashbacks of childhood/young teen.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sam Winchester is one of the two main characters of the long-running TV series Supernatural. Sam is originally the focal character and protagonist of the series. He and his older brother, Dean, protect the world and frequently save people by hunting supernatural creatures and other monsters such as demons, werewolves, vampires.
- Sam Winchester was born in Kansas to John and Mary Winchester, the younger brother of Dean Winchester. Sam wanted a normal life instead of the family's world of hunting and protecting helpless strangers. Sam challenges his family, especially his father, John, whom Sam frequently rebelled against. It is mentioned that Sam was actually John's favorite son, and they clashed due to their similar temperaments and personalities.
- Sam is the wayward son of the family, 'the rebel' (hence one of the theme songs frequently played for Supernatural "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas). He left his family behind to make his own way, starting a normal life and going to university. Sam is described as extremely intellectual, ambitious, introverted, and determined, but also rebellious, stubborn, and proud. Sam has often done wrong things for the greater good and has been frequently been associated with the 'reluctant hero' trope within fandom.
- So, because Sam is strongly independent and ambitious by nature, does it make Sam seem self-absorbed and selfish at times, as a portion of the Supernatural fandom seems to believe? Maybe. But does it make Sam wrong? Certainly not. There may be rather more demons and sawed-off shotguns in his life than in ours, but he's a person we all know and have been at some point: he's just a twenty-something kid trying to find his own way in a very loving, loyal, stifling, dysfunctional and frustrating family.
Eric Kripke, the creator of Supernatural, has called Sam the focal character or protagonist of Supernatural, focusing on Sam's journey. Kripke has said that Sam was modelled after Star Wars hero Luke Skywalker, though, many fans argue that Sam's descent to darkness over the course of the series as and his dark destiny make his character more similar to Luke's father and "the chosen one" of the Star Wars saga, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Sam's character is also heavily influenced by Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey" as mentioned by Kripke. In the early seasons (seasons 1 and 2), Sam's character arc involved reuniting with his family (his father, John and his older brother Dean) after four years of leaving them behind and leaving the hunting life style for life at Stanford. Dean asking for Sam's help was Sam's "call to adventure". He bonded with his elder brother Dean and became dedicated to hunting down the 'yellow-eyed' demon, Azazel, who killed his mother, Mary, six months after his birth (November 2, 1983) and his girlfriend, Jessica on the same date his mother died (November 2, 2005). Azazel had plans for Sam involving Special Children with special powers (like Sam, who developed psychic abilities at 22) and prepared Sam to become the vessel for Lucifer (aka Satan/The Devil), the ruler of Hell and the fallen angels (also known as demons).
Sam struggled resisting and surrendering to aspects of this hellish plan and faced problems in his relationship with Dean. This gave Sam his 'reluctant hero' trope. At the end of season 5, Lucifer inhabited Sam's body but Sam had took control and saved the human race by throwing himself into Lucifers cage, along with his half brother Adam, who was the vessel for Lucifer's older brother, Michael.
Season 6 focused on Sam's incomplete redemption after returning from Hell/Lucifer's Cage without his soul intact and repairing his relationship with his brother. Season 7focused on Sam recovering from hallucinations of Lucifer, hell pain, mental illness, PTSD, and severe trauma. After Castiel was revealed to be alive, towards the end of season 7, he healed away Sam.
In season 8, Sam spent a year living a normal life with his new girlfriend Amelia in Texas while Dean was trapped in Purgatory with Castiel. After Dean returned from Purgatory, there was tension between Sam and Dean due to the revelation that Sam had quit hunting, didn't look for the presumably dead Dean, and gave his responsibilities. Sam discovered that Dean had befriended a supernatural monster (Benny the vampire) but Dean had ostracized Sam for befriending monsters (such as Ruby and Amy).
Sam took on the Trials of God in order to close the gates of Hell, locking demons out of Earth forever. Taking on the trials has a severe effect on Sam's well being and health, but he remained determine to complete the trials despite his illness. In the last episode of Season 8, "Sacrifice" it was discovered that if Sam completed the final of the three trials, he would die. Dean convinced him to not complete them. In season 9, Sam was possessed by a fallen angel, 'Ezekiel', who has said that he will heal Sam after the damage from the Trials of God. 'Ezekiel' had lied about who he was, his identity being Gadreel, an angel imprisoned before all the angels fell. Gadreel is no longer possessing Sam.
In Fanon and Fanworks
Sam's annoyed expression (usually provoked by Dean somehow) acquired the fannish name "bitchface," and became so much a part of fanon that it often appears in Dean's internal narration in fanfic. Multiple picspams have been devoted to chronicling Sam's bitchface.
Many Supernatural fanfic writers write gen stories with a strong focus on the close, intense, emotional brotherly (but non-sexual/non-romantic) relationship between Sam and Dean. Sam appears in most slash, het, and gen fanfic.
A common trope used in some Sam-centric fanworks is that of Sam turning evil, because of his canonical demon-blood infusion, drinking demon blood, fucking a demon, being possessed by a demon or by Lucifer, or being soulless for more than a year. Sam is also frequently portrayed to be rather possessive, sometimes sadistic, controlling, dominant and rebellious in a lot of fic (mostly when Sam is either evil, possessed or cursed). The soulless version of Sam present during the first part of Season 6 is often referred to as Robo!Sam.
In regards to top/bottom dynamics (mainly regarding anal sex) within most Supernatural fanfic, Sam is generally portrayed as the top or seme, including both slash and het fic. In Wincest fanfic, the large majority of fics and fanfic writers frequently portray Sam as the top, dominant, or aggressive partner and Dean as the bottom, submissive, gentle partner. There are many different reasons as to why Sam is frequently portrayed as the dominant or the top in the overwhelming majority of Supernatural fanfic, but some of the reasons for this could include Sam's overall dominant, rebellious personality with aspects of pride, need for control and vengefulness, Sam being portrayed as the darker, more intense, mysterious brother, Sam's large, intimidating physique, his tallness or height and also, his dominant, controlling, aggressive "toppy" sexual style or canon sex scenes with women on the show.
Sam is also often portrayed as well endowed. See Supernatural Wiki's entry on Cockzilla. A prominent example is The Incestuous Courtship of the Antichrist's Bride by fleshflutter, in which Sam and Dean have difficulty figuring out the sex.
Sam's most frequent and most popular slash pairing in fanworks is with his brother: Sam/Dean aka Wincest. In later seasons of Supernatural, he has sometimes been paired with the angel Castiel (pairing name: "Sassy" or "Sastiel"). He has also been paired with the archangel, Gabriel, The Sam/Gabriel pairing is known as Sabriel. He has also been paired with the fallen archangel Lucifer, especially since he was Lucifer's true vessel and Lucifer referred them them as MFEO (made for each other), The Sam/Lucifer pairing is often called Samifer, not to be confuse with the nickname for Evil!Sam.
Sam is also featured in het fic and paired with women. Sam is regularly paired with his late girlfriend (said to be his true love), Jessica Moore. Fic featuring Sam/Jess/Dean is more rare but not too uncommon. Sam can also be seen in other het fic with Ruby, a demon who had come into Sam and Dean's life in Season 3, episode 1 "The Magnificent Seven" after saving Sam. She had continued to gain Sam's trust, but not Dean's, as Season 3 progressed and in Season 4 we find out that while Dean went to hell Sam and Ruby had started a sexual relationship. Ruby convinced Sam to start drinking demon blood, to make him stronger and be able kill demons with his mind. It is revealed that in the last episode of season 4, "Lucifer Rising" Ruby was actually trying to set Lucifer free.
A more recent ship featuring Sam is Sam/Eileen. Eileen was a deaf hunter introduced in season 11 who helped Sam and Dean occasionally, until she was killed by a hellhound. Many fans have noticed the bond she shared with Sam.
Sam has a host of different nicknames, the main one being Sammy, which is a nickname that only Dean is allowed to call him, but some other people called him Sammy, much to his annoyance. Sam had allowed Ruby to call him Sammy in Season 4. Other nicknames include Moose, Jolly Green and Giraffe, all coined by the crossroad demon and king of hell, Crowley. These nicknames for Sam coined by Crowley often refer to Sam's height. Some other nicknames for Sam that have been used in the series or fanfic are Gigantor and Sasquatch or Samsquatch.
- God Says Nothing Back by Morgan Dawn. An early Sam vid that has him asking the universe "Why?" (2006)
- Broken (Sam) by Luminosity (2009) (streaming version at Critical Commons)
- Blackbird by Zimshan -- "Sam Winchester in Season Four" (2009)
- Haust by Loki -- post-Season Six, Sam hallucinates Lucifer. A lot. (2011)
- sam winchester | bubblegum b!tch by jυѕтcαllмeмιcнelle
Additional Art Gallery
- Sam Winchester page at the Supernatural Wiki
- Supernatural Fic on Delicious tagged with Sam
- Sam Winchester works on ff.net
- Sam Winchester works on Ao3
- From the essay on Sam by ignipes at Idol Reflection.
- For example, "...Dean wasn't looking forward to the mother of all bitchfaces every time Sam tried on a shirt and his wrists stuck out all forlorn and uncovered. ..." from Gift, a gen fic by kellifer.
- For example, Bitchface Through the Ages (Supernatural) by jessm78, 15 September 2008 (Accessed 25 April 2011), as well as The Bitchface, 22 April 2007 (Accessed 25 April 2011) and The Bitchface: Part Two, 2 May 2007 (Accessed 25 April 2011) by barkinmad.
- For example,  2012 (Accessed 7 July 2012) by supernaturalwiki.com.
- For example, the Sam/Jess/Dean stories There is a crack in everything (that's how the light gets in) by beckaandzac and sequel Second Star to the Right by busaikko, and Midnight of the Century by glasslogic.