|Relationships:||Father of Dean Winchester, Sam Winchester and Adam Milligan, Husband of Mary Winchester, Son of Henry Winchester|
|Other:||Portrayed by actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
John Winchester is a fictional character from the TV show Supernatural.
He was the father of main characters Sam and Dean Winchester, and the husband of Mary Winchester. Despite his death on the show, John is often referenced and reappears in canon. In season 5, Dean meets a younger version of his father when he time travels to 1978. In season 14, a wish gone wrong temporarily brought John Winchester from the past, to meet his sons in 2019.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Parenting: There has been much discussion and debate in fandom about John Winchester's parenting skills. Those who think John's parenting skills were poor, or even abusive, will often tag there stories with Bad Parent John Winchester or John Winchester's A+ Parenting
- Pastfic: Many fanworks set pre-canon focus on his relationship with his sons, and their unconventional upbringing. These works are often tagged as Weechester fics, as they are set when John's sons are young boys or teenagers.
- Demon!John: John possessed by a demon
- John Lives: John doesn't die in season 2, or is resurrected
- Supporting Character: Often a featured secondary character in stories focused on Sam and Dean
John is most commonly paired with his canonical wife, Mary Winchester in fanworks, although this is often a peripheral pairing. Works focused on John and Mary's relationship can be pre-canon, and often feature angst or foreshadowing of future canon events. Other works use time travel tropes to bring the family back together.
- A Life Less Ordinary by marinarusalka, Most of the time, John Winchester thinks he does pretty well, considering. (2006)
- The Long Narrow Rope by pdragon76, It’s been said that roots and wings are the only two lasting bequests you can give your kids, but sometimes all you’ve got is guns and how to use ‘em. (2009)
- On John Winchester and Parenting by Ellipsis Black, Why I, Ellipsis Black, do not actually believe that John Winchester is a bad father. (2006)
- John Winchester's Digression from the Champion to the Adversary by kinda_tempted