|Name:||Gabriel, Loki, The Trickster|
|Occupation:||Angel of the Lord, Trickster God|
|Relationships:||Lucifer, Michael, Castiel, Dean Winchester, Sam Winchester, Kali|
|Other:|| played by the actor Richard Speight Jr.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Gabriel is the youngest of the four archangels (the others are Raphael, Lucifer, and Michael).
Gabriel first appears as an unnamed Trickster, a class of pagan demigods, in the season 2 episode "Tall Tales" and the season 3 episode "Mystery Spot". He is revealed to be an archangel in the season 5 episode "Changing Channels". He dies in season five, after only four appearances.
He is brought back briefly as an illusion created by Metatron in the season 9 episode "Meta Fiction".
In Season 13, Gabriel returns for five episodes. He travels to the Apocalypse World with the Winchester brothers to rescue his nephew, Jack. It appears that Gabriel is killed during a confrontation with his brother Michael.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Archangel: Gabriel was the first angel that was ever introduced, and once it was revealed that the reoccurring Trickster character was, in fact, an archangel, the fandom latched on and a lot of interesting Meta started to go around. Due to Gabriel's tendency to mess with the boys and his attempts to teach them lessons whenever he encounters them, many fans decided that Gabriel as a character was worth exploring.
- Trickster: some fans prefer Gabriel in his trickster persona, and will focus on that, ignoring, or playing down, the later revelations about he angelic identity
- Actor Popularity: Despite his lack of screentime, Gabriel is a popular character in the Supernatural fandom. This is in part due to actor appeal, with Richard Speight Jr. often appearing at cons. It may also be due to the popularity of ships featuring Gabriel.
- Gabriel Lives: before Gabriel's return to the series, many fics had Gabriel not die in season 5, or he was resurrected somehow, or that he had faked his death (this being the explanation that was later used in canon)
- Return to the Series: When Gabriel returned in Season 13, there was a rise in fics featuring him, including fix it fics.
- Chaos Agent: Gabriel can be portrayed as an agent of chaos in fanworks, he can be easily understood as an explanation for very strange and unusual circumstances that other characters find themselves in
Gabriel's most popular pairing is with Sam (Sabriel), which is the third most popular slash pairing in the Supernatural fandom overall according to the AO3 rankings in 2019. Some of Gabriel's more minor slash pairings are with Dean (Debriel), or his angelic siblings, including Castiel (Cabriel), Lucifer (Lubriel) and Balthazar, the OT4 pairing of Castiel/Gabriel/Dean/Sam (Team Free Love) is also common.
Het pairings featuring Gabriel are rare, the two most common being with Kali or Rowena, with whom he had canonical relationships. Readerfic and the pairing of Gabriel with Original Female Characters can also be found.
- Gabriel - Supernatural by Quelchii
- Hello, Archangel? by JuMclia
- Gabriel by Kelshray
- Gabriel by TopHatTurtle
- Brother by OneOddKitteh
- When Heaven and Hell fell... by IsilmeLasgalen
- Their Wings & His Halo by HueyDeweyLouise
- 5.19 Episode Meta: Gabriel Tribute, Self-Sacrifice by rogueslayer452 (April 2010); archive link
- Gabriel’s story arc: Why I don’t think they should bring him back, even though I adore the character by defilerwyrm (September 2012); archive link
- I’m On Their Side by crowleyismyco-pilot (March 2013); archive link
- The Eating Habits of Archangels and Other Fierce Creatures by lysanatt (October 2013); AO3 link
- Meta!Gabriel vs Metatron by yarnyfan (April 2014); archive link
- so it came to my attention that there're some who were unhappy w/ gabriel's return bc it made his "final death" meaningless. i’m here to tell you how that completely contradicts gabriel’s character and everything we learned about him in the time he was around by consulting-cannibal/scoutstiel (March 2018); archive link
- The Writing is on the Wall (13x18) by drsilverfish, neven-ebrez, and mittensmorgul) (April 2018); archive link
Team Free Will headcanon by Kalicoofdoom, in this piece Gabriel and Castiel fly in the sky above the awaiting Winchester brothers
Art banner by uke-sama-sense, created for the fic Gabriel's Not Dead, as part of the Debriel Minibang
Archives and Links
- Super-Wiki's Tall Tales page has more details.
- Super-Wiki's Mystery Spot page has many more details.
- Super-Wiki's Changing Channel's page has more details.
- As of 5 February 2019, Dean/Castiel had 78008 works, Sam/Dean had 26050 works, and Sam/Gabriel had 12267 works. See the filters on the Supernatural works page.