My Immortal (Harry Potter story)
|External Links:||Full story at the My Immortal Wiki|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
My Immortal is a parody fanfic written by Tara Gilesbie. Written in the presumed style of beginning amateur authors who try to pile everything on at once, it is the story of Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, a vampire who attends Harry Potter's Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.
My Immortal lampoons everything from Harry Potter to Twilight and the many pre-teen and teenage fangirls who attempt to write fan fiction without really understanding yet how to construct a plot or develop characters, let alone use proper spelling and punctuation. It is also a sendup of the Mary Sue concept. The presumed author is Tara Gilesbie, who makes no pretense that she herself is not Ebony Way. She is assisted by a friend whose handle is bloodytearz666. In between chapters, Gilesbie rails at the "preps" who have written in to criticize her narrative. At one point the tale is interrupted by a supposed hacker who writes a chapter killing off Ebony and returning all the canon characters to normal (see Protectors of the Plot Continuum).
On 22 August 2017, the author apparently reemerged on FictionPress, to confirm that she is not Lani Sarem
On 7 September 2017 Buzzfeed announced that the author is really Rose Christo, who "with the help of one beloved foster sister" published the story as a way to make contact with her brother who was separated from her in the New York foster care system. Her autobiography was scheduled to be published in 2018. It was later canceled and questions were raised about her story.  
The story follows Ebony Way as she forms a romantic attachment to Draco Malfoy (an elegant Goth in this story), in spite of her concern that he has had a relationship with Harry "Vampire" Potter and may still be interested in him. Voldemort, claiming to know of Ebony's relationship with Draco through "telekinesis", commands her to kill Harry. Various people including Hagrid and someone called "Snaketail" confess that they love Ebony, while Snape and Remus are "pedofiles" who take pictures of her. Ebony begins to have precognitive visions, which are later verified. Prof. Sinister tells Ebony that if Voldemort had ever had people who loved him he would not have become evil, so Ebony's task is to go back in time and seduce him.From Encyclopedia Dramatica:
My Immortal is the most famous, notoriously bad fan fiction ever written. Based very loosely in the Harry Potter universe and featuring the blatant Mary-Sue protagonist Ebony (or often times "Enoby") Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, it reads like a detailed list of everything a fanfic author could ever possibly do wrong, only taken to exaggerated, horrifying extremes. Written by super-tard Tara Gilesbie, My Immortal was originally posted to sometime in 2006, but was subsequently deleted by the staff after causing a severe drop in the site's collective IQ. In fact, the fanfic is so unbelievably bad that many refuse to accept that it's real, insisting that Tara was only trolling and that the story is really a parody. Regardless of the author's intent, My Immortal remains one of the most cringe-worthy, unintentionally hilarious, so-bad-it's-good pieces of literature the internets have ever shat out.
From the Story's Introduction: Written by Someone Who is Not the AuthorA fan, xXMidnightEssenceXx, posted the story to FanFiction.Net in March 2011, and included this introduction:
Obviously I did not write this, it was published on this site 5 years ago, then removed. There are probably other copies of this on FanFiction as well as other sites, but I though I'd post it anyway. Those who remember My Immortal well should also remember the first few chapters (1-15) were co-written with 'Raven' hence they were spelt better etc but don't worry Raven leaves in chapter 16 (which is where her character Willow gets expelled from Hogwarts). However, she seems to return... The copy on here I'm pretty sure is the 100% original version of My Immortal with no edits at all outside those by Raven (which were in the original). This version will include the 'hacker' chapter 39 and the original chapter 39, and the possibly fake "My Immortal 2" if I can find it! 
ImpactArticles about the fanfic appeared on several non-fandom news websites in late July 2013, following the announcement of a Youtube web series adaptation. According to The Daily Dot,
No one can truly hold the illustrious title of “worst fanfic on the internet”, but “My Immortal” (named after the Evanescence song, because of course) is surely a strong contender.
Fan Comments, Or, "My Immortal," What the Heck?
- I Googled it but still have no idea so for people who only started being in the fandom a few years ago what's up with My Immortal? And why is it read ironically/unironically?
Okay so here’s some fandom history for you.
So back in the mid nineties, when grunge was really taking off, there was a small resurgence of the old glam-goth style that had been really popular for a while in the eighties (via the Cure, David Bowie, Lost Boys etc). Between 1996-1999, it was this sort of taboo culture which got picked up by a couple of really popular bands (Marilyn Manson being the forefront, and a handful of bands that were one-hit wonders-Kitty for example, then bigger bands caught on, like Korn in the late nineties). It gave birth to the scene/emo culture where suddenly bands like Evanescence and My Chemical Romance began to rocket up the charts–based on both music and a particular style.
In about 2004, there were several young kids, between the ages of 12-15, who were pouring their hearts out into “song fic” which you would constantly see in author’s notes at the beginning of fic– “MCR inspired Drarry Song-fic” which usually had Harry taking his angst and rage out on some black eyeliner and the really barmy early internet slang, exploring bisexuality with fics using a lot of spit-lube and black lipstick, and homophobic Ron, and Father-Figure Snape, accompanied by mid-sentence author’s notes and song lyrics every other paragraph.
In I think it was 2006 or something–there was the birth of My Immortal, which was a fic that took all those early, scene-kid, emo tropes and bad slang and horrendous cliches–bad spelling, bad grammar, loads of goths v preps, and poured them into the masterpiece that was My Immortal.
The song-fic, scene-kid, emo group of people were all growing older and growing out of that early angst, so it’s hard to tell if this was just the last hurrah of these stories, or if it was someone who really wanted to troll the early fandom and take the piss by writing something so comically horrible, that it was an instant sensation. Like a fanfic B-movie–Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, but worse.It has been re-uploaded HERE, as well as turned into a Web Series HERE. But if you really want to do this to yourself, feel free to read it. If you want a real treat, see if you can search back on ffnet to the early 2000s, using the keywords Drarry, MCR, and Evanescence, and you’ll find some truly, unironic gems that was the horror of the early HP fandom. 
- at Goodreads, where it has 437 comments/reviews
- My Immortal, discussion at MetaFilter, November 19, 2010
- The worst "Harry Potter" fanfic ever is now a hilarious webseries. The Daily Dot, July 29, 2013
- The Atlantic Wire, July 29, 2013
- Enoby, Evony, Egogy, and Tara, discussion at MetaFilter, December 21, 2013
- The Bizarre, Unsolved Mystery of ‘My Immortal,’ the World’s Worst Fanfiction Story, Archived version, by Abraham Riesman, March 12, 2015
- My Immortal, traducido y analizado by Yo123 version translated into Spanish
- XXXblodyblaktearz666XXX on FictionPress (Accessed 3 September 2017)
- The Story Of "My Immortal" Is More Wild And Heartbreaking Than You Imagined on Buzzfeed (accessed 9 September 2017)
- My Immortal memoir canceled: Author says she's been 'branded a liar' on Entertainment Weekly by David Canfield, dated 3 October 2017 (accessed 9 October 2017)
- The "My Immortal" Book Is No Longer Going To Be Published on Buzzfeed by Jarry Lee, dated 3 October, 2017 (accessed 10 October 2017)
- At Fanfiction.net. xXMidnightEssenceXx's repost of the story only includes the first 35 of the total 44 chapters.
- Abraham Riesman, The Bizarre, Unsolved Mystery of 'My Immortal,' the World’s Worst Fanfiction Story in Vulture, March 2015.
- See The Atlantic Wire, Jul 29, 2013. See also Mediajunkie Studios - YouTube, Archived version
- Gavia Baker-Whitelaw. The worst "Harry Potter" fanfic ever is now a hilarious webseries. The Daily Dot. July 29, 2013
- My Immortal by Tara Gilesbie (Paperback) - Lulu, Archived version; My Immortal by Tara Gilesbie (Paperback) - Lulu, Archived version; My Immortal by Tara Gilesbie (Amazon), Archived version
- My Immortal Ch 1 - A Dramatic Reading - YouTube, Archived version; A Dramatic Reading: My Immortal by Tara Gilesbie. Chapter One. - YouTube, Archived version.
- a anonymous ask, and an explanation at lala-loony-lupin.tumblr, Archived version April 27, 2016