|Pairing:||Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley|
|Alternative name(s):||Harry/Ginny, H/G, HP/GW, HMS Orange Crush|
|Archives:||SIYE, Ginny Potter, PhoenixSong.net, Gryffindor Tower (until September 2003)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Harry/Ginny is a het pairing in the Harry Potter fandom that eventually became canon. Particularly before it became canon, it was the focus of much debate and wank. After it became canon opposition to it solidified in the Epilogue? What Epilogue? mindset. See also One Big Happy Weasley Family.
Harry and Ginny first met at Kings Cross, where Ginny was starstruck by Harry's fame and asked to see him on the Hogwarts Express. Ginny developed a crush on him in CoS and she notably stands up for him against Draco Malfoy at Flourish and Blotts and sent him a Valentine. Later, Harry and Ginny became friends in OotP, due to Ginny becoming less shy around him and showing her true personality. Many shippers point to two moments that solidify this friendship: when they discuss her possession by Tom Riddle and Ginny trying to help him with talking to Sirius (which led to the ship being called HMS Chocolate due to the fact they were eating chocolate eggs). In HBP, Harry starts to fall for Ginny, and they get together after Ginny broke up with Dean Thomas. After Dumbledore's funeral, Harry soon broke up with her for her safety, but the feelings between them still remained, particularly proven when Ginny gave Harry a "birthday present". After the final Battle of Hogwarts, they are married, with three children: James Sirius, Albus Severus, and Lily Luna.
While this pairing is popular, it also has its detractors, particularly the Harry/Hermione shippers, as well as people who simply dislike the ship itself without any ship loyalty. Nevertheless, due to its solidification in canon, it has gradually become accepted over the years by most in fandom and liked by many.
One of the most famous Harry/Ginny fanfics in the early days of the Harry Potter fandom was Alpha and Omega by Imogen, popularized in part by BNF Cassandra Claire (who was very vocal about hating it) and also made famous by being a peripheral factor in a stalking and harassment wank.
As of May 13, 2010 there were 14,142 fics marked as Harry and Ginny on fanfiction.net, though it is unknown how many of these are not about a Harry/Ginny relationship but rather about them interacting in some other context. This compares to 14,689 marked as Harry and Hermione and 25,803 marked as Harry and Draco.
Apart from EWE, a common way for fans who dislike the relationship to deal with it is infidelity stories, where either Harry or Ginny or both are unfaithful, and the couple eventually breaks up.
Though with the size of the Harry Potter fandom there is never a consensus on what can be considered a "classic," the following are some well-known and frequently recced Harry/Ginny stories:
- After the End by Arabella and Zsenya (2001-2003)
- Carpe Diem and Alpha and Omega by Imogen (2001-2002)
- Ginny's Gift and The Long Road Home by Ashwinder (2002-2003)
- The Test of Time by Alchemilla (2002-2004)
- Seeking Ginny by Casca (2003-2008)
- The Seventh Horcrux by Melindaleo (2006)
Harry/Ginny fanart depicting scenes from both fanon and canon are popular. Half-Blood Prince, in which the pairing became canonical, lead to a huge increase of Harry/Ginny art, many of which illustrated scenes from the book.
Meta & Essays
- More than Meets the Eye, Archived version , an essay at Ship Manifesto by Celestine de Karamel. (December 2004)
- Breaking All The Rules: the Literary Significance of Ginny's Love Life (2005), Archived version, an essay at The Sugar Quill by RedMonster.
- Giving Her the Power: The Characterization of Harry/Ginny (2005), Archived version an essay at The Sugar Quill by RedMonster.
- Why Harry Picked Ginny, Rather Than Hermione, As A Romantic Partner, Archived version an essay at HP Lexicon by Gowdie.
Communities & Archives
- /r/HarryandGinny A Reddit forum for discussion of the Harry/Ginny pairing, as well as for fic recommendations.
- The Firelight (defunct)
- The Gryffindor Tower community, now defunct, was probably the very first one to focus on Harry/Ginny. It was likely founded in September of 2001..
- The Harry Ginny Network 
- PhoenixSong.net 
- Harry/Ginny Studio 
- Harry LUVS Ginny 
- Ginny Potter 
- Sink Into Your Eyes 
- Works tagged Harry/Ginny at Archive of Our Own.
- Fests & Exchanges