|Name:||Ronald Bilius Weasley|
|Location:|| Hogwarts (Britain)|
The Burrow (Ottery St. Catchpole, Britain)
|Relationships:|| Hermione Granger (friend, girlfriend, wife)|
Harry Potter (best friend, brother-in-law)
Arthur and Molly Weasley (parents)
Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred and George, and Ginny (siblings)
Hugo Weasley (son)
Rose Weasley (daughter)
Weasley clan (various in-laws and nieces/nephews)
|Other:||born 01 March 1980|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Ron Weasley is a major character in the Harry Potter novels.
Ron was born into a wizard family. He has five older brothers (Bill, Charlie, Percy, and twins Fred and George) and as a result is haunted by feelings of insecurity. He also has a younger sister, Ginny, and parents Molly and Arthur.
Ron is the least popular character of the Trio, and gets less fan attention than several characters with considerably less 'screentime' such as Snape & Draco. His fanon characterization served as the inspiration for the TV Tropes page Ron the Death Eater. The trope describes fanon that turns a heroically aligned canonical character into a villain, often, but not always, in service of shipping. Ron's canonical marriage to Hermione puts him in conflict with her popular pairings with Harry, Snape and Draco. Villainous incarnations of Ron can occasionally be found in Harry/Hermione fics. In Snape/Hermione fics, he is often portrayed as a slob lacking intellectual interests.
In futurefics, Ron's often written as an Auror or in training to become one; he's often partnered with Harry. Rowling's post-canonical decision to have him leave the Aurors to help George in the joke shop wasn't enormously popular.
Characterisations & Speculation
Before the series was complete, the following were common predictions about Ron's future role in canon:
- Death Eater!Ron – Ron's insecurities and desire for glory would lead him to betray Harry and join Voldemort
- Seer!Ron – Several of Ron's jokes and predictions for Divination that turned out to be true, leading some to theorize that he might turn out to be a Seer. Additionally, some proposed that he might be a seventh son of a seventh son if there was an additional (probably deceased) elder Weasley brother that had not yet been mentioned in canon, which would support the theory of Ron being a Seer or having other special magical abilities. One example of this in fanfiction is in Cassandra Claire's Draco Trilogy.
- Strategist!Ron – Many believed that Ron's skill at chess (which was emphasized especially in the first book) would extend to a talent for strategising in other significant areas, for example playing a role in the defeat of Voldemort or leading Ron to become Quidditch Captain for Gryffindor.
- Ron/Hermione (canon endgame)
- Ron/Lavender (briefly canon)
- various Weasleycest ships
Rare pairings include with Peter Pettigrew, based on the fact that Ron's rat, Scabbers, is Peter's animagus form.
Notable Ron-centric Fanworks
Essays and Meta
- Knight2King or "Ron is Dumbledore" - a meta theory about Ron's eventual fate
- White Knight on a Broomstick by inkpuddle on idol_reflection (2004)
- I'm His Second -- Ron's Recondite Role by angua9 (2004)
- An Open Manifesto Concerning Ron Weasley by wahlee_98 (2004)
- Ron. Xander. Oh, yes. by snoopypez. A comparison of Ron with Xander Harris from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2002)
Links & Resources
- Works tagged Ron Weasley at AO3
- Stories tagged Ron Weasley at FanFiction.Net
- Stories tagged Ron Weasley at FictionAlley
- Ron Slash Archive - a defunct Geocities archive
- Triatha-Ron - a ficathon modeled on the Snarry Games
- Ronslash - a Yahoo! Groups mailing list
- Ronald Weasley at the Harry Potter Wiki
- Ron Weasley at the Pottermore Wiki
- Ronald "Ron" Weasley at the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Character:Ron Weasley at UnknowableWiki
- Ronald Weasley at HPWiki (archived)