|Pairing:||Severus Snape/Hermione Granger|
|Alternative name(s):||Severus/Hermione, Snape/Granger, SS/HG, SSGH, Snermione, S.S. Prudence and Potions, Snamione, Snanger|
|Gender category:||m/f het|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Though Snape & Hermione interact a fair amount, there is little evidence for any attachment on either side. Idlerat writes in her Shipper's Manifesto essay: their canon relationship sometimes seems like it can be boiled down to four infamous words: "I see no difference."
SS/HG shippers are often distanced from the rest of HP fandom. Snape in SS/HG stories is often portrayed as a romantic hero, with his characterisation being further from canon than in, say, much Snape/Harry fanfiction. This comes in from some mockery from other sectors of fandom; for example, the Fandom Wank wiki describes WIKTT, the pairing's main Yahoo list, as the Historic home of non-greasy, aristocratic, and secretly handsome Snape-in-Armani...
SS/HG shippers tend to be in opposition to the canonical pairing for Hermione, Ron/Hermione, with Ron often being portrayed negatively, or at least as an unsuitable partner for Hermione. The teacher–pupil relationship can be a barrier to some fans, and many SS/HG stories involve an adult Hermione; other fans see it as a turn on. Many stories are super-long epics, perhaps reflecting the work necessary to get the pair together realistically.
Idlerat describes the appeal of the pairing:
Snape/Hermione is known as the subgenre of HP most allied with the traditional, bodice-ripper type romance, with an older, dark, mysterious, powerful, nasty, and (in many stories) rich hero and a younger, idealistic heroine who steals his heart. But it's equally important to remember that this is the teacher/student ship par excellance, since Hermione builds her identity around being a student so much more than any other of the young characters in the series. This one of the most popular pairings for people who like the idea of a bond based on intellectual affinity. It appeals to those who place a lot of importance on the fact that the HP series is set in a school, even when the stories are set after Hermione has finished at Hogwarts.
Again on Snape's typical characterisation:
Before OotP, many readers assumed that Snape was rich because of his position as head of Slytherin House, with its aristocratic traditions. More important, to my mind, was the tradition of the Gothic hero: Snape seemed like a candidate for this role, after GoF, because of his tortured past, his clever, sarcastic manners, and his black wardrobe. The tradition of Snape Manor is particularly associated with SS/HG because of its roots in the romance tradition, but, to be fair, filthyricharistocratic!Snape appears often in slash as well.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Marriage Law
- The dark revel fanon originating with Pawn to Queen wherein Death Eaters routinely throw parties featuring drink, debauchery, rape, and the torture of muggles and half-bloods
- Potions Accident/Magic made them do it
- Hermione returns to Hogwarts to teach
- Hermione works as a potions apprentice under Snape
- Hermione Saves Snape. This particular trope is popular after the end of the seventh book where Snape dies. However, it has been used many times even before the series was concluded since Snape was working undercover as a Death Eater. In many cases Hermione is the one who finds him. The reversal of this trope is also fairly popular, where Snape saves Hermione from the Death Eaters who are after her because she is Muggleborn.
- Time-turner: Hermione is thrown back in time to meet and fall in love with young!Snape
- Lessons by Abstract-2000
- Illustration 11 by Alooockhard
- Illustration to 'My Joker'5 by Alooockhard
- Snager1 by Alooockhard
- tequila by Alooockhard
- Old - SS comforts Hermione by cabepfir
- Teaching by camil
- Apprentice Frustration by Cruel-Crush
- Don't give up by Cruel-Crush
- Dont let this be for nothing by Cruel-Crush
- -Friday Night In- by Cruel-Crush
- - I need you - by Cruel-Crush
- -Once upon a broken time- by Cruel-Crush
- -Rub Rub- by Cruel-Crush
- Hermione's Interrupted Moment by Desmoiselle-ni-Belle
- Hermione's Walk in the Forest by Desmoiselle-ni-Belle
- Snape's Finding by Desmoiselle-ni-Belle
- Love Potions? - SSHG... ] by Feindfyre
- SSHG - Research by Feindfyre
- Illicit Affairs by foxyx
- Inappropriate by foxyx
- Cleaning Cauldrons by MistressBlackwater
- A Kiss From Me To You by MistressBlackwater
- Snamione by MystressVulpes
- Snape/Granger by MystressVulpes
- Snape/Granger 4 by MystressVulpes
- Snape/Granger again by MystressVulpes
- Hermione and Snape by nikea777
- Beauty and the bat by Ravenemore
- Ever after by Ravenemore
- Addition lessons by sonya8berg
- It's all fine by sonya8berg
- Sweet dreams by sonya8berg
- Tea break by sonya8berg
- Two professors hiding from everyone by sonya8berg
- After Crookshank Left by usagistu
- A bit of Romance by usagistu
- For PE Group by usagistu
- Here For You by usagistu
- Give Me A Kiss by usagistu
- It's Just A Kiss by usagistu
- The Price of Madness by usagistu
- Snape and Granger by usagistu
- Oblivious by WanderingMoon
- Scent on the Summer Wind by WanderingMoon
- Sneak a Kiss by WanderingMoon
- Waiting for a Spy by WanderingMoon
- Lay Me Low by TeddyRadiator
- The Problem with Purity by Phoenix.Writing Epic length SS/HG war era fic with side pairing of Drarry.
- The Last Spy by Sylphides
- Beyond the Silver Rainbow by Lupinlover. One of the earliest, if not the first Snape/Hermione fanfic posted online.
- Pawn to Queen by Riley. Controversial.
- Pet Project by caeria.
- Care of Magical Creatures by mia madwyn - Marriage Law.
- Like Shadows on the Winter Sky by Resmiranda.
- Soul Searching by Quillusion.
- Hinge of Fate by Ramos. Hermione's memory is missing something, including the details on how she became pregnant. Snape would rather not remember.
- The Fire and the Rose by Abby & Domina. A serious take on the potions accident/bodyswap trope; widely recommended.
- Chaos Is Come Again by Aashby/theatresm. One of the most famous Marriage Law-influenced stories, though not a direct response to the challenge.
- The Bloody Stare of Mars by Yahtzee. Voldemort Wins dystopia.
- Rule of Law by Arsenic Jade. Snape is in Azkaban, and Hermione's on a mission to get him out.
- Getting the Hang of Thursdays by Hayseed. Time loop.
- Denial by little beloved. Post DH, Marriage Law fic. Hermione returns from her Master's in Paris 4 years after Hogwarts, only to find herself under the Marriage Law.
- Chasing The Sun by Loten. Post OP, Severus takes control of how Voldemort is brought down. Eventual HG/SS Romance.
- Transcendant Quality of Remembrance by Subversa. Marriage Law fic. Severus and Hermione marry, but she doesn't remember the consecration of their marriage...
- For The Potion Master's Amuseument by snape_submiss BDSM. PWP. EXPLICIT. Severus Snape is not a kind man, but Hermione Granger is past caring. She wants his approval and will do anything to get it. How far will she go? Even she has no concept of the depths to which she will fall in her quest. Seventh year AU student/teacher; Happy Ending!
- Know it Alls: SS/HG -- long list of recs from the Know It Alls
- HG/SS Recs at You Never Thought It Would End Like This
Fanart With Commentary
This drawing is a play on the Harlequin romance novel covers. It is called "Tonight" and the artist is bublichek. One viewer commented: "looks like the book covers of the stuff my granny uses to read xD Brilliant idea, of modding this ;) I really like it, S/H is not one of my favourite pairings, but this pic is awesome!"
This is an experiment with shapes and forms. Title: Circles and Curves. Artist: Rynezion
This drawing, Earth and Water was inspired by the the 20th Century artist Gustav Klimt. The artist writes: ""The Elements of nature at their beck and call, they meet. Like Yin and Yang, the elements of Earth and Water join. Forever circling each other, giving and receiving. Forever in balance." Artist: howlingmojo
Continuing the marriage theme, this drawing shows Hermione gazing at their wedding portrait. The summary is written from Hermione 's point of view: "One of my favorite portraits of Severus and me. It was given to us as a wedding present from Draco and Astoria, then-girlfriend-now-wife. I often have to pause when passing it in the hallway, just to admire it for a moment. " Artist: Lumos
Many artists do not shy away from depicting the erotic aspects of the Snape/Hermione relationship. This pencil drawing is by Russian fan fiction writer and fan artist Elly. As one reviewer commented: "Рисунки великолепные, живые, красивые, реалистичные, экспрессивные... Слов просто нет, чтобы всё выразить. Смотрела как зачарованная на Гермиону и Снейпа. Гермиона особенна реалистична и красива на откровенных рисунках."
Some fans identify this as Snape and Hermione even though on the artist's WIKTT account it is identified as Snape and Lily Evans. Because not all Harry Potter fan art is photo realistic, fans sometimes confuse Hermione with Lily (and vice versa), particularly where they are depicted in intimate situations with Snape. Artist: Marquise
Not all Snape/Hermione art focuses on romantic themes. In this drawing titled "The battle of Hogwarts' the two are surrounded by their enemies. Artist: howlingmojo
- The Buried Life, a ship manifesto by idlerat
- HGSS Digest, a Snape/Hermione newsletter community
- hgss_library, its associated fic links
- hgxss, the pairing's largest LiveJournal community
- sshg_exchange, a Snape/Hermione fic exchange
- quiz_sshg, a Snape/Hermione fanfiction quiz community
- Ashwinder, a Snape/Hermione archive
- WIKTT & The WIKTT Archives
- DarkSarcasm Collection, a Snape/Hermione recs site
- Whispers (), a Snape/Hermione archive
- The Index (), an Aggregated index of hg/ss fanfics
- works tagged Hermione Granger/Severus Snape at AO3
- On the Good ’Ship Granger/Snape, essay by Red Hen
- Fandom Secrets Thread dated July 27, 2012].
- Ship Manifesto: The Buried Life (accessed 11 September 2012)
- Fandom Wank Wiki: WIKTT (accessed 11 September 2012)
- Summary of controversy on Fandom Wank; WayBack machine link
- comment at the artist's Devinartart page dated July 2011; WayBack machine link.
- (Google English Transl: "Gorgeous pictures, live, interesting, realistic and expressive ... just no words to express all. Watched spellbound as Hermione and Snape. Hermione is special and beautiful realistic on explicit drawings. Thank you! Draw on and wish you success!"