|Name:||Doctor Daniel Jackson|
|Occupation:||Civilian consultant to the SGC, Archaeologist, Linguist, explorer and diplomat|
|Relationships:||Married to Sha're (and then a widower in Season 3).|
|Other:||Played by actor Michael Shanks|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Daniel Jackson -- civilian consultant to Stargate Command, archeologist and linguist, member (except when he's dead) of the SG-1 team -- is a fan favorite in the show (helped by the fact that his actor has been to years of conventions and is generally outgoing and funny onstage).
Daniel is generally viewed as the fandom's woobie; he gets whumped very very often in fanworks and is known to suffer beautifully. However, certain fans prefer a less-woobiefied, feistier version of Daniel.
Fanon vs Canon
- "Daniel Jackson: Poor wee orphan child who needs to be cuddled. Well, okay, he's not wee -- he's over six feet and, as someone once memorably described him to me, 'looks like he could crack hazelnuts with his bare hands.' Also he's much too prickly to cuddle." -- Katie M.
- When SG-1 camps together, Daniel has daily obvious morning wood that he is either oblivious to, or uncaring of. (Is this one Paian's fault?)
- Daniel loves coffee more than anything else in the universe.
- FigNewton has done a 20-plus part series of "Canon vs. Fanon", in which she analyses several of the common fandom myths surrounding Daniel, and which actually have any basis in canon.
Relationships in Fanworks
For the first 3 seasons, Daniel had a canonical het relationship -- his wife of a year, Sha're, was kidnapped and invaded by a Goa'uld. Many fans are uncomfortable breaking up loving canonical relationships -- most Daniel slash (and Daniel het with a partner other than Sha're) is set after Sha're is killed in episode 3.10 "Forever In A Day".
In the last few seasons, Daniel was often paired with Vala Mal Doran in het fic.
In slash fanworks, Jack/Daniel is the dominant pairing in the fandom, although Daniel has been paired with other Stargate characters as well. The Pegasus B shared universe features many stories that start out pairing Daniel with Rodney McKay, though Daniel often ends up with Jack again.
tafkar on the Sam/Jack/Daniel OT3:
- "Just as Jack is not an entirely good match for Sam or Daniel, because their interests don't match his very well, so Sam and Daniel are not an entirely good match for each other, because they're a little too similar. But, just like a stool will be more stable if it stands on three legs than if it has only two, while D/S, S/J and J/D each have their weaknesses, S/J/D has enough strengths to compensate for those weaknesses. If one starts slipping away, the other two, working together, can pull him or her back."
- Shovel-Bum by cofax An AU of the Pegasus-B shared universe, this story postulates what might have happened if Daniel had not joined up with the Stargate program.
- There's No Such Thing As Daniel Jackson by Eleveninches, similarly, describes a universe in which Jackson didn't return from one of his many deaths.
- Insurance SNAFU at the CPO by Aurora Novarum. Heavily canon-dependent fic written from an outsider POV where an SGC functionary tries to make sense of Jackson's many deaths for life insurance purposes.
- Interesting counterpoint to fandom's feminization of Daniel: Ivory Gates' run of long, intricate AUs in which Daniel is, and always has been, Danielle.
Archives & Fannish Links
Daniel-centric LJ Communities
- What Kind of Archeologist Carries a Gun? (Daniel does.) 2007 essay on Daniel Jackson at Idol Reflection
- Old Married Couple in Space essay on Jack/Daniel at Ship Manifesto
- Bang! Holy Grail Time essay on the rare (yet written by several writers) crossover pairing of Daniel and The Sentinel's Blair Sandburg at Ship Manifesto
- You down with OT3? (Yeah, you know me!) essay on the Sam/Jack/Daniel OT3 at Ship Manifesto
- Science and the Human Heart essay on Daniel/Sam at Ship Manifesto
- Beautiful Wreck essay on Daniel/Vala at Ship Manifesto
- SG-1 meta: Why Daniel/Vala doesn't work for me by green_grrl
- Daniel Jackson character page at Gateworld (canon resource)
- Daniel Jackson character page at Stargate Wiki at Wikia (canon resource)
- Daniel Jackson character page at Stargate Wiki (canon resource)
- See Daniel's Confirmed Deaths at Arduinna's Stargate Handbook (Accessed 1 May 2011)
- The Languages of Daniel Jackson meta essay by Icarus, 13 March 2005. (Accessed 1 May 2011)
- Feisty Daniel Appreciation Society webpage. (Accessed 1 May 2011).
- Katie M. A Stargate Primer, published on 16 December 2004. (Accessed 24 October 2008.)
- "I write an irregular series of meta posts on the subject of Canon vs. Fanon in SG-1 fanfic. These essays highlight the more common fanon concepts and compare them with the reality of canon. Most of the Canon vs. Fanon posts focus on Daniel, but there are also more general team discussions and, to date, two entries on Jack and another on Sam." in LJ index post by sg_fignewton. (Accessed 1 May 2011)
- You down with OT3? (Yeah, you know me!) essay by tafkar on the Sam/Jack/Daniel OT3 at Ship Manifesto (Accessed 1 May 2011)