|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Whumping, Wump, Trash, Bonk, Get 'em|
|See Also:||Smarm, Woobie, Angst, torture, rapefic, Darkfic, Hurt/Comfort|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The term whumping (or whump) refers to a form of H/C that is heavy on the hurt and often focuses on gen stories; it is similar to Muldertorture in X-Files fandom, and other character torture stories. The roughly equivalent term in classic Trek zine fandom was Get 'em or Get, though that term has been less used recently. Star Wars fandom, and others, also used the word "trash" in a similar way.
Whumping sometimes gets confused with character bashing but while character bashing is motivated by hatred of the character being bashed, whumping implies that the character being hurt is a favorite. Also the "bashing" in "character bashing" does not literally refer to injury to the character in the narrative as whumping does, but to injuring the characterization to express the character hate, e.g. by depicting the character as a terrible person. Futhermore, whumping (at least in the way it was used in the Stargate SG-1 H/C list) was meant to indicate a character who was in jeopardy, or hurt (either psychologically or physically), and then other characters comforted. Hence the term H/C or hurt/comfort fics was often used as as an interchangeable descriptor tag for "whumping" fics.
Origin of the Term in SG-1 Fandom
Whump as term was coined in Stargate SG-1 fandom as Danny Whumpingyou for a wonderful Pros Newszine. where it is a fandom specific expression for the practice of physically and psychologically abusing one's favorite character in fanfiction and then offering them comfort. Daniel was the character a lot of fans loved most, which means he was the one they loved to hurt the most and then have comforted by another character [a fan favorite was Jack O'Neill].. Danny whumping was extremely popular, especially in gen fiction. There is a Daniel Jackson Whumping Society and the Whumpalicious Archaeologist page is dedicated to Danny whumping fanfic and vids. For a list of Danny whumping recs see lorien_79's Daniel whump FF-List.
One fan's response to the question of what makes Daniel so whumpable sheds some light on the popularity of whumping as a gen kink: "Because it's so damn sexy. Watching Daniel get beat up, crying, screaming, I love all of it. It gives me tingles and makes me grin madly." By now the term whumping has spread to several other fandoms that like to hurt their woobies.
- Daniel Jackson from Stargate: SG-1
- Miles Edgeworth, Maya Fey and Apollo Justice in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Zuko and Azula in Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Pelleas in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- Noire and the female Avatar in Fire Emblem Awakening
- Takumi in Fire Emblem Fates
- N Harmonia in Pokemon Black and White
- Adrian Veldt in Watchmen
- Stan Marsh and Kyle Broslofski in South Park
- Loki and Bucky Barnes in the MCU canon
- Ianto Jones in Torchwood
- Ken Washio and Joe Asakura in Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
- Fox Mulder in The X-Files (see also Muldertorture)
- Rei Hino and Aino Minako in Sailor Moon
- Korra in The Legend of Korra
- On the Prowl by sisabet and sweetestdrain, a meta vid studying the tendency of female fans to find whumping of attractive male characters arousing. Here
- Flagpole Sitta (aka A Decade Of Whump) by littleheaven70 (2007) - a SG1 vid (". Dr Daniel Jackson - has any character in Sci-Fi been maimed, tortured, driven insane and killed more often?) - New Vid - Stargate SG-1, Flagpole Sitta (aka A Decade Of Whump) - Little Heaven's Journal, Archived version
- Fan Speak! Whump by shippersguidetothegalaxy is a history and meta vid explaining the meaning and analyzing the reasoning for enjoying whump.
Some Examples of Use
[please add to this section]
- "McKay Whumping. Because I'm only happy when he's miserable." + "I love to see Rodney in pain, I really do. I'm not even sorry." 
- TWC's Whumpapedia
- The Stargate Atlantis Bedside Guide to Fanfic Whump fic list by Wraithfodder, Stargate Atlantis. (8/2008)
- However, one fan says: "I saw it used in 1996, in Earth 2 fandom," which would mean it predates Stargate SG-1. From comment by Kel at Fandom Wank, 29 Apr 2009. (Accessed 10 Feb 2012)
- OXBastedXO says in her FF.net profile that one of her minor claims to fame is coining the term Danny Whumping in SG-1 fandom. (Accessed 13 November 2008)
- The Whumping article at Fan History Wiki credits OXBastedXO and Yum@ equally. (Accessed 13 November 2008)
- from DIAL #23 (Autumn 2002): "Stargate has a large contingent of h/c writers, and a particularly category of Dannywhumpers..."
- Daniel Jackson Whumping Society
- Whumpalicious Archaeologist
- lorien_79. FF-List (Daniel whump)
- Angy. Whumpalicious Archaeologist, added 15 August 2005. (Accessed 13 November 2008)
- from a fan in 2013 at The_RMWC (The Rodney McKay Whump Community)