|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Bonk has at least two fannish meanings.
One, it is a slang term for sexual activity.
Two, it is a synonym for whump. According to To Slay or Not to Slay: Why We Write 'Get-em' Stories -- & Love 'em!, and one primarily used in early UK fanworks.
Examples of Use
- Normal Female Interest in Men Bonking: Selections from The Terra Nostra Underground and Strange Bedfellows edited and introduced by Shoshanna, Cynthia Jenkins and Henry Jenkins
- from a review of Injured Innocents: "... the Pros fans who introducted me to fanfic all agree that the story gets repetitive and dull when the lads do nothing but bonk each other."
- from an ad for Doin' the Job: "Lots of bonking on Martin, lots of great smarm..."
- from the editorial for Zap: "Zap 3' is the same formula as usual, 'Kirk-bonking Janet-Quarton-style,' with only one exception."
- from The Bizarro Zine: "Bonk the Seven -- Get-um stories are great--but what happens when everybody's hurt and there's nobody left to comfort?
- from the editorial of Reckless Emotion: "Herein you will find (she said modestly) some of the finest angst (hoo-boy!), bonking (physical and emotional), male bonding (with NO slash) and lots of comfort (not much hurt) ever put between the covers of a zine."
- from a review of Double, Double: "It will not disappoint anyone looking for something more than the run-of-the-mill, bonk-and-pity-Peter stories so rife within this fandom."
- a panel at Orac: "Bonks and Wallows: Why you always hurt the one you love."