|Title/Rank:||Special Agent, Doctor of Medicine, Master of Science|
|Location:||Washington, D.C. and unremarkable House, Virginia|
|Relationships:||Fox Mulder , mother of William Scully and Emily Sim, Daniel Waterston, Ed Jerse, Special Agent Jack Willis (all canon)|
|Fandom:||The X-Files (Carterverse)|
|Other:||afraid of clowns, may be immortal played by Gillian Anderson|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Some Very Brief Canon
Dana Katherine Scully was born on February 23, 1964, and has three siblings: Charles, William Jr., and Melissa (murdered during the course of the show). She comes from a Navy family; both William Sr. and Jr. are seen in uniform. She is a practicing Roman Catholic, and wears a gold cross at her throat.
Scully is a pathologist by training, and often performs autopsies in the course of her work with Mulder. She has a medical degree (prerequisite for pathology) and a bachelor's degree in physics. She often acts as a logician and brake on the wild speculation of her partner, demanding that his theories conform to evidence and reason. One early line for which she is famous goes as follows: "Nothing happens in contradiction to nature; only in contradiction to what we know of it."
Fannish Engagement With the Character
OBSSE, the Order of the Blessed Saint Scully the Enigmatic, was a society formed specifically to appreciate this character, as was the Scullyfic mailing list. Their mailing list, News for the OBSSEsed, was one of satire, as well as serious and irreverent fun.
Another group, SWILS, challenged their self-defined sexualities, being Straight Women In Love With Scully.
Dana Scully was an early, fairly vibrant subject of femmeslash.
Fanon About the Character
Agent Scully's hair always smells like strawberries.
Noromo fans were often set opposite Shippers, or MSR fans. This was taken to satirical extremes by the Mulder And Scully Hate Each Other (MASHEO) movement: "Mulder and Scully Hate each other? The idea is absurd. Almost as absurd as the ideas that Mulder and Scully should, could, or want to, be involved romantically."
Much Scully-centric fiction can be found at the ScullySlash archive, which features "fanfiction, slash stories focused on Dana Scully, a gallery of images of Dana Scully, email lists to discuss and post fiction about...that's right, Dana Scully."
Notable Scully stories include:
- Not Only Human by Laura Shapiro and Killa
- Fall in the Light - Gwyneth
- Have You Seen Me Lately by Lyle
- The X-Files - Scully's Pregnancy by BostonUrMyHome
- X-Files- 24 Hours, Dana Scully by snakey973
- The X-Files |Scully| Without You by SpookyStarbuck
- The X files _ Scully's Insight_ The strong one by XFyellowbee
- x-files:-come here boy- by vicy22
- The X-Files - Sexy Scully by veroziny
- The X Files- Dana Scully - Rise by Erica Perron
- The X Files - How could this happen to me by Moonlight1012XFile
- The Scully Effect
- feministing.com, Feminism And The X-files (my Ode To Dana Scully), by Ellestar (2009)
- Why Today's Women Need Dana Scully wired.com, by Sophie Brown 02.18.11
- Fannish discourse communities and the construction of gender in The X-Files by Emily Regan Wills (2013)
- The X-Files’ Dana Scully: Role Model for Girls of All Ages, by PersephoneK on September 10, 2013
- Less “Big Bang Theory,” More Dana Scully: What It's Going to Take to Lead More Girls Into Science yesmagazine.org, by Christopher Zumski Finke Dec 24, 2013
- How the Strong Female Character Was Born: A Study of Dana Scully by Lizzie (2015)
- Why 'The X-Files' Dana Scully Still Stands Out As One Of TV's Greatest Feminist Role Models by Caitlin Flynn, Jan 24 2016
- How Dana Scully Inspired Me to Become a Scientist Cosmopolitan, by Jane Hu Feb 1, 2016
- 8 Ways The X-File's Dana Scully Changed The Game by Taylor Blades, Jan 24, 2016
- How Gillian Anderson’s Character on ‘The X-Files' Inspired Me to Keep Living by Sarah Smith, December 21, 2016
- How Dana Scully Inspired a Generation of Women, Paste Magazine, by Abby Norman, April 28, 2017
- Physic Buzz Blog I Want to Believe by Becky Thompson, PhD, February 01, 2018
- hercampus.com - Why Dana Scully from 'X-Files' Is The Ultimate Icon By Brianna Moye, Feb 02 2018
- 11 Reasons Why Dana Scully Should Be Your Role Model