Scully Is Immortal
|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Scully is immortal|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In the season three episode, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", penned by fan favorite Darin Morgan, the guest character Clyde Bruckman has the ability to see exactly how people are going to die. Scully asks him how she will die and receives the answer that she won't.
In the season six episode Tithonus (written by Vince Gilligan) Scully investigates the case of a crime scene photographer Albert Fellig who not only is always the first person after to happen to be present after someone died, he also tricked death when he looked away when he came to claim his soul during the outbreak of the Spanish flu in 1914. After both Fellig and Scully are shot by a freak accident by Scully's rookie temporary partner, Fellig asks Scully to look away when she see death approaching. She does and not only survives her abdominal gunshot wound but recovers remarkable fast according to her doctors.
In season 10 episode which once more was written by Darin Morgan, Scully approaches the episode's UNSUB on her own without backup. After Mulder admonishes her, she reminds her, that she is immortal (so she wouldn't have to fear anything bad happen to her). In season 11 episode Nothing Last Forever she not only survives a four-story fall from a waste chute, she is also already miraculously pregnant with MSR baby 2 which survives the fall as well.
According to Darin Morgan, it was never his intention that people take his joke seriously:
In "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," Clyde tells Scully she doesn't die -- which some fans have taken to be a very literal predication. What do you think of the debate that Scully might be immortal, which still rages on 20 years later?
I didn't expect it, because I didn't intend it to be taken as serious. I just think it's ridiculous [to be serious]. (Laughs.) But then you go, it's the nature of the show -- people are looking more into it than you intended because it is a supernatural show … I didn't mean for it to be taken so literal. What can you do? People are going to take it however they take it. (...) It's not so much the interpretations are wrong. It's more that I find them interesting. As opposed to the immortal line, which I just think is silly.
Perception outside of Fandom
There are numerous episodes in The X-Files that elude to Scully's immortality, the first of which being “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose”. The theory goes beyond that and proposes that Scully became immortal during the events of season 6, episode 10, “Tithonus”. She is informed by the 149-year-old immortal, Fellig, that he will live forever because, when he saw the grim reaper, he looked away. By the end of the episode, Scully turns her head from the bringer of death; if Fellig's theory and logic are accurate, doing this would make her immortal. In season 6, episode 14, “Monday”, Scully is stuck in a loop where each time she dies, she has to restart the day. The theory suggests that the loop only exists because she is immortal; as her death cannot happen, the clock resets every time she dies.The X-Files Theory: Special Agent Dana Scully Is Immortal by Marian Phillips, June 21 2020
- Immortal Scully tag on Archive of our Own
- Fanfic Recs: Tithonus by 201daysofxfiles
- 100 years by thetwistedargent
- Fathoms Five by Penumbra (part 1 , part 2)
- Scully Everlasting by Lindsay
- Dry Bones - OctoberFicFest Day 9 by poeticsandaliens.tumblr.com
- Immortal Files - The Collector's Edition by Daniel Butter
- My finest in free verse: Scully Is A Highlander fanfiction by Paul Wartenberg (Crack fic)
- X-Files- For everything a Reason (Scully 'immortality', AU) by snakey973
- Knocking On Heaven's Door - Scully/Doggett (immortality) by Fearful Symmetry
- scully's immortality? by starbuck (ichabunni) in xfiles.livejournal.com
- How consistent is Scully's immortality? posted by ireactions in /r/XFiles
- Unweaving the Story, Unraveling the Lie to Find the Truth by Sharon R. Yang. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 02.10.2009
- The Immortal Agent Scully - One thing that won’t happen in the X-Files finale by JOSH DANIEL, JAN 31, 2002
- Fan Theory Solves the Greatest Mystery of the X-Files by io9
- Gillian Anderson on if Scully is immortal by Analiesa Salazar
- The X-Files: 5 Clues Scully Is Immortal by ALYSSA WAUGH, JANUARY 22, 2016
- The X-Files References a Famous Fan Theory: Is Scully Immortal? by Janey TraceyTuesday, 2 February 2016
- Is Scully Immortal On 'The X-Files'? This Theory May Be Addressed Very Soon By CAITLIN FLYNN, Feb 8 2016
- Really Internet: Is Scully From ‘The X-Files’ Actually Immortal? by Kayla Cobb, Feb 16, 2016