|Pairing:||Fox Mulder/Dana Scully|
|Alternative name(s):||MSR, the Mothership, Mulder/Scully, M/S, M/Sc|
|Prevalence:||OTP, main pairing|
|Archives:||see Archive section|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Mulder/Scully is the main pairing in X-Files fandom. It is a het pairing between FBI agent partners Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. The pairing is commonly denoted as MSR - Mulder Scully Relationship - in fanfiction headers. This is where the term shipper comes from, a shortening of "relationshippers". The anti-fraction are called NoRoMos.
In fact, I would probably go so far as to say they’ve Mulder and Sculy ruined me for all other TV romances. After all, the iconic duo have been together in some form or another (even they probably couldn’t tell you when they made the subtle switch from partners to partners in every sense of the word) for more than 21 years at this point, and I’m still just as invested in the status of their relationship as I was when it began, if not more so. (The X-Files 3, where are you? I need a fix!)** What other television romance has played out as perfectly and been allowed to flourish as beautifully?
Even after almost 25 years, it's still the most popular het pairing in The X-Files.
Since the ship was created before name-combining/name-shmashing (for exampleBrangelina) became popular, the ship is referred to as either MSR, Mulder/Scully or The Mothership. The term Sculder is not used by the fandom at all or only ironically, at least by fans of the first and second wave. Third wave fans, that joined the after ca 2012 may use the term occasionally to refer to the pairing.
IMO when they [ew.com] referred to our ship as “Sculder” they lost all credibility as a legitimate polling entity #MSR #TopTVCouple #MulderAndScullyForever #TheXFiles ClownCarPassenger7 @JanetAmorfati on Feb 19 2018
"If you call Mulder and Scully "Sculder", everbody in Fandom will know that you were born after the Millennium *lol* #babyphile #neophile." https://twitter.com/Lady3Jane1013/status/928538878650314753
The Term "Shipping"
X-Files, and its time place in history as one of the first big internet fandoms, is often regarded as the fandom that started formal shipping.
The term originated in the X-Files fandom, probably on alt.tv.x-files.creative, where viewers who wanted to see a romantic relationship between Fox Mulder and Dana Scully were dubbed "relationshippers," or "shippers."
Another fan in 1996 posted: "It comes to my attention that there is a great deal of misunderstanding as to what exactly it is that we "relationshippers" want in the show. To say that we want Mulder and Scully to simply fall into bed together like would happen on any other show on TV is unfair, and patently untrue...One of the reasons we 'shippers have kept to ourselves for so long is because every time we dare to bring our opinions forth, we get words that we never spoke shoved into our mouths and then we get flamed for them..." From a fan in 2006:
From a fan in 2008:
I think the X Files started it when the endless "will they wont they" storyline combined with the out of control myth-arc. As the myth-arc got more inaccessible, people turned away from it to the much simpler matter of the characters shagging each other senseless. More people got online during the mid-to-late 90's, it was easier for them to get into that....
Then there's gender: Blokes don't talk about their feelings so much as a rule. They were more likely to sit around discussing the workings of the Starship Enterprise than write about Spock/Kirk getting it on. The character of Scully drew a lot more women into the budding net fandom where they discovered that they, um, were not alone. They brought all these messy feelings with them. The "will they wont they" messed up myth-arc encouraged that at just the right moment and shipping - not quite as we know it today - was born. Women then found that this new medium gave them freedom to explore the sexual fantasies they'd always had but had never before been able to express. Through the guise of becoming your favourite ship you can try out all sorts of stuff that you might never dream of doing in real life. Men wanting to see lesbians at it has generally been regarded as fine but women wanting to see two men getting on it... woah! Incest?! Go for it. S&M? Rape? Torture? Men have so much fantasy fodder provided for them, we've had to make it all for ourselves... and how we have!! We've broadened the playground and we're obsessed by the wonderland we've created for ourselves. It's a fantastical pandora's box we've opened with our silly little shipping....It makes perfect sense that teenagers are very into this. Men fantasize alone. Women are doing it all together, which is a touch weird and goodness knows what it'll do to society. I'm hoping it's a positive effect. So shippers are pushing the envelope of our human sexual fantasies, forcing them into respectability. Fandom has become less about the shows themselves and more about making friends and exploring relationships and sexuality. Whether you perceive that as good or bad really depends on what you wanted from your fandom in the first place. 
Ah, but don't you know, to us shippers the X-File was always secondary to the Mulder/Scully stuff. ;)I'm being only partially facetious here. Really, a number of the individual episode's "A-plots" were pretty stupid at worst and a bit ... holey at best if you thought about them too hard. The mytharc was a complete and total mess by the series end. The reason I loved the show was the characters. As I used to say back then, "The X-Files" was really a character driven show in a plot driven show's clothing. 
I was a “shipper,” as in, relationshipper—a category of fan yearning to see Special Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully fall wildly in love. The term “shipper” is now a standard word across modern day fandoms, but the term really first caught on among X-Philes. And “X-Philes” was the name fans gave themselves, a play on the Greek word for love.
The pairing in non-fannish media
Mulder/Scully are often cited by mainstream media as comparison when ever a female and a male law enforcement officers are teamed up, especially of they have opposite characters/view and have sexual chemistry, for example Booth/Temperance Brennan and Castle/Beckett. The couple has also been called the "ultimate OTP".
They're also often called a perfect example for The Greatest TV Couple of all time:
Seeing these characters grow as individuals and as a team through their shared experiences, many of which were extremely traumatic and life-threatening, solidified their bond and strengthened viewers’ desire to see them just get it on already.
To be clear, The X-Files was not a show about love and loss, though there was plenty of it during the original series’ nine season run (and continuing on the current reboot). It was meant to be about the untrustworthiness of the government, aliens, and finding the always elusive truth behind weird circumstances — a truth which we were promised from the beginning was definitely “out there.” That the relationship between its two main characters eventually overshadowed all of that and even continued making the show watchable long past its original sell-by date likely wasn’t intentional. But it happened, and frankly? We should all be glad it did.‘The X-Files’ Mulder And Scully Are The Greatest TV Couple Of All Time by Jennifer Still Feb 14, 2018 at 4:12pm, decider.com
Syfy.com's Alyse Was noted in her article Why Mulder And Scully Are Sci-fi's Perfect Couple:
"I am not a romantic. That is one of the reasons I love horror and sci-fi. I will take monsters and gore over smooches and talk about "feelings" any time. As someone who watched The X-Files obsessively since the very first episode in 1993, I was surprised to discover that I had, sneakily, become a Mulder/Scully shipper. I didn't officially recognize this until Season 10 began, but deep down, I think it had been there the whole time.
The way in which The X-Files handles romance is the way I always want romance handled in genre television: as a secondary or even tertiary plot, behind the monsters, the investigation, the weirdness. The pair even call each other "Mulder" and "Scully," forgoing the traditional first names that most people use when they become intimate. That's because for them, it was and is always about the work."Why Mulder And Scully Are Sci-fi's Perfect Couple by Alyse Was Feb 10, 2018
Joshua Rothman noted in his article for the New Yorker on January 23, 2016:
"Still, the show had two real strengths, and they grew with time. The first, of course, was the gentle, intellectual romance between Mulder and Scully." The Nostalgic Science Fiction of “The X-Files”
The Rolling Stone ranked the pairing number one in their 50 Best TV Duos of All Time ranking in 2016:
1. Mulder and Scully, 'The X-Files'
Can professional ethics, intellectual antagonism, unyielding loyalty, platonic friendship, and raw sexual tension all get along? I want to believe. Put simply, Dana Scully and Fox "Spooky" Mulder were, and are, the most complex and compelling male-female partnership ever to be put on the small screen. Mulder's fanaticism and Scully's skepticism, her cool and his heat, David Duchovny's irresistible sex appeal and, uh, Gillian Anderson's irresistible sex appeal — X-Files creator Chris Carter could not have created a better pair of FBI agents to embody his series' pre-millennium paranoia, nor cast two better actors to play them. Friends, rivals, partners, lovers — they're every great TV duo all at once, which makes them the greatest of all.50 Best TV Duos of All Time by By Sean T. Collins April 26, 2016
Allwomenstalk.com ranked them third and noted:
"3. MULDER AND SCULLY
This is definitely the most frustrating couple on this list! In almost every episode of "The X-Files," the audience hopes that Mulder and Scully will accept that they have feelings for each other and be together. For nine seasons the hope for their relationship is built up and then the show ends. All the audience is left with is more hope and two movies for the couple to finally get together. While it’s one of the most annoying love stories, in the end it’s also one of the most satisfying.10 of the best TV couples by allwomenstalk.com
- Love is out there Netflix Trailer from 2016 that focuses on MSR which was posten exclusively on the platform's official Twitter account
- see Category:X-Files MSR Fanfiction
- Works tagged with MSR at /r/xfilesfanfic
- "Viewers Choice" from Gertie's Shippers
- Recs by Brandon Ray
- Looking for MSR Recs, posted by TattooedSiren in xfiles.livejournal.com
- With a Vengeance (1997)
- stories listed as MSR-Stories at Fanfiction.net
- Gertie's X-Files MSR FanFic Archive
- The Greasy Spoon
- the Hiraeth Archive
- Idealists Haven
- MSR Fanfiction at Key of X
- This site was originally created by Birgit Mueller for recommendations of MSR "first-time" stories
- MSR Library
- msrfanfic -- Mulder and Scully Shipper Fanfic
- Under the Covers Archive- a collection of MSR stories in which our favorite FBI agents go undercover... and find each other in the process.
- The Salvation Archive
- Whispers of X
- The Ten Greatest X-F Fanfics You've Ever Read post in X-Files Book Club
- msr fan art tag on tumblr
- work tagged as msr-fanart on DeviantArt
- NSFW fan art by MSRAfterDark on tumblr
- Xfiles Fanart Roundup A Place where I can selfishly keep track of all the amazing X-Files Fanart that exists on Tumblr Currated by HoldmyFandom
- MSR POLAROID PROJECT Illustrated Polaroid adventures of the work, life, and love of our two favorite FBI agents, because Mulder and Scully deserve happy moments.
Youtube currently finds 5000+ videos for the search term msr mulder scully as of April 16th 2018 
- Need To Be Next To You by Steffi
- a playlist on youtube with 440+ video
- The legendary looks between Mulder and Scully by Paperhearts1121 (200K + views)
- hungry eyes by RebeccaScully (700K+ views)
- Mulder/Scully : The Scientist by FerryboatProductions
- The Mulder & Scully Relationship | Season 11 | THE X-FILES - YouTube by The X-Files (Official Youtube channel)
- "Endlich küssen" by German Fun-Punk band - an ode to Mulder and Scully relationship that feature samples from the German dubbing version
- "Want to Believe: X-Files Love Song" by Rhett and Link
- Mulder & Scully (Original X-Files Song) by Bandrew Scott
- 109 Free Mulder & Scully music playlists] | 8tracks radio
- 77 Free Mulder/Scully music playlists | 8tracks radio
- The Ultimate Mulder & Scully-Playlist That Will Break Your Heart ...
- Fanmix: Mulder/Scully (The X Files) - The World, As It Could Be (EP)
- into the d a r k » a MULDER&SCULLY fanmix: by forbiddenxspark
- Rookie » Friday Playlist: Hanging Out With Mulder and Scully
- 29 Mulder and Scully playlists on Spotify
- He is the master of his fate, She is the captain of her soul Playlists based on the Fan fiction of the same name by ScullyLikesScience
- Special Agents
- as-yet untitled fan magazine Fanzine, (estimated time of arrival March 2019) run by spookydarlablack
- Mulder it's me - a 10 page fanzine by SophiePaasLang
- Taming the Unicorn
- The Mulder Scully Romantics Webring
- #MulderandScullyForever hashtag on Twitter
- MulderandScully tag on Twitter
- MSR tag on tumblr
- mulder x scully tag on tumblr
- Mulder-Scully-Gifs on tumblr
- Mulder and Scully gifs on giphy
- otp: mulder x scully tag on tumblr
- Mulder & Scully The Moments That Made Mulder/Scully Become My OTP , Which Is Your Favourite??? on Fanpop
- My Top 10 “Smulder” Moments Posted on April 15, 2015 by Lois
- Fuck Yeah Mulder and Scully on tumblr
- THE GREATEST LOVE STORY EVER HORRIBLY TOLD by startwreck.tumblr.com/
- when people ask you when mulder and scully get together so they can skip episodes by missezramay.tumblr.com
- I know The X-Files is science fiction/drama/thriller. but it is also the best love story I've ever seen. by confessionsxf.tumblr.co
Q: i'm on season 3 of the x-files and i'm realizing it isn't really a show about aliens.
A: You’re right. It’s a show about the existential question, “are we alone in the universe?”
One character looks for answers in the sky, the other in The Book and the lab.
It takes 7 years for him to look down and her to look up and realize the answer is each other. by campaignofmisinformation.tumblr.com
- The Top 11 Mulder And Scully Shipper Moments In The X-Files By Erin Vail ,June 19, 2018, Nerdist
- The X-Files: 10 biggest Mulder and Scully will they/won’t they moments, express.co.uk by NEELA DEBNATH Wed, Jan 3, 2018
- An X-files Episode Ship Guide For Fox Mulder And Dana Scully,syfy.com by Heather Mason and Carly Lane by Dec 1, 2017
- Relationship Analysis: The X-Files, Mulder & Scully (MSR) July 27, 2015 By MSCASSIOPEIA
- A Brief History of Mulder and Scully’s Once-Controversial Romance vulture.com, by Kat Rosenfield January 21, 2016
- The X-Files: Mulder and Scully's Best Moments ew.com by Kelly Connolly January 22, 2016
- The 23 Best Mulder and Scully Moments by Tina Wargo, 2017
- 15 Out Of This World Classic Mulder And Scully Moments by Catherine | May 10, 2017
- 15 Times Mulder And Scully Were Relationship Goals by Ellisha Mannering
- 7 Beautiful Mulder & Scully Moments We’ve Been Obsessing Over Since 2002 Posted By Heather Mason On February 7, 2016, Geek & Sundry
- Top 42: The Definitive Top Shipper Moments by truemyth posted on 2008-05-26 (Livejournal)
- Creating a Pocket Universe: "Shippers," Fan Fiction, and "The X-Files" Online (2000)
- A Caution About Public Criticism (1998)
- musings Romance; WebCite (1999)
- REASONS FOR A ROMANTIC MULDER/SCULLY RELATIONSHIP: By Paula Graves, Archived version (1999?)
- bethanyactually.tumblr, Archived version, "The Mothership" (2015)
- https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-x-files-theory-that-makes-mulder-and-scullys-relati-1755700498 The X-Files Theory That Makes Mulder and Scully's Relationship Make Sense
- Bill Williamson
- the green Sweater of Sex
- the Season of secret Sex
- The Magic Circle
- the ugly comforter of intimacy
- Unresolved Sexual Tension
- Resolved Sexual Tension
- Unremarkable House
- sab @JoyfulSab 9 Nov 2017: STOP CALLING MULDER AND SCULLY “SCULDER”
- NEW: TITLE 17 [1/1, post by Amy Schatz, April 20, 1996
- Clarification (was Re: My problem with 'anti-relationshippers'....), Eric Johns, May 17, 1996
- The internet is for... ah, you know...; Archive (post and comments about shipping, and pairing, history of terms, and prevalence) (2006)
- Checking in on July 25, daybreaq, July 27, 2008
- 14 Times Mulder & Scully From 'The X-Files' Were the Ultimate OTP Posted August 6, 2015 by Rachel Horner