|See also:||Steve Rogers, Chris Evans|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fandom has discussed Chris Evans's shoulder-to-waist ratio (very wide shoulders, very narrow waist) at least since the first Captain America movie, if not even earlier, with his roles in Fantastic Four and The Losers. However, the comparison of his body shape to a dorito didn't happen until after Captain America: The Winter Soldier came out in April 2014. Doritos are an American brand of tortilla chips that are triangular.
On April 18, Karkeion reblogged 2 gifs of Steve walking away on her Tumblr and used the tag "heart of gold and shoulder waist ratio of a dorito". The tag was added to the post by Chainsandcherries. Allonsyarielle and Oopsabird treated the comment as a challenge, superimposing images of doritos over stills of Steve in uniform.
The idea took off very quickly and became incorporated in a number of fanworks, especially fanfiction. It was also picked up by io9 from Tumblr and used affectionately by Robert Downey Jr. twice in front of cameras at San Diego Comic Con.
The use of the nickname for both Evans and Rogers is an example of blurring the lines between actor and character, which is somewhat common in Marvel Cinematic Universe fandom. Other examples of that process include RDJ is Tony Stark is RDJ, or Robert Downey Jr.'s own comments comparing Mark Ruffalo to Bruce Banner/The Hulk.
In April 2015, the Doritos chips brand - in promotion of The Avengers: Age of Ultron - has Captain America/Chris Evans on the cover of the blue "Cool Ranch" bag, which Chris Evans has tweeted "I'm on a bag of Doritos #lifegoals".
It's common for "dorito" to be used as a nickname or descriptive adjective for Steve Rogers in fanworks. He sometimes even uses it to describe himself.
- Captain Dorito by meek-o-bits (June 25, 2014) - Sam Wilson makes a Steve doll out of a dorito and pipe cleaners for Bucky Barnes
*shows up 15 minutes late with a crappy dorito comic* by bluewindsummer (August 24, 2014) - a cracky comic where Tony Stark makes the connection while eating a Dorito
Example fanfiction, in chronological order:
- She couldn’t make out the figure, though she could tell that whoever it was had the shoulder-to-waist ratio of a dorito. - Natasha Romanov narrating in Stars by GroovyMutations (May 9, 2014)
- “Whatever. You probably just laugh about how my torso is shaped like a dorito or whatever kind of potato chip the internet compares me to,” he said. - Steve to Natasha in Slipping Underneath by iainkillsrobots (June 2, 2014)
- “I would rather not compare myself to Mister Dorito, thank you,” he’d informed her, and she’d snickered for entirely too long. - Loki to Darcy Lewis in What I Did on My Summer Break by SaraNoH and the_wordbutler (July 20, 2014)
- Unfortunately, they often take Natasha’s corvette, which – while just as sleek and sexy as its owner – is absolute horseshit, because it barely fits Natasha with her legs spread wide, let alone Sam and his super soldier slash professional dorito boyfriend. - Sam narrating in Carjacking by pastelfalcon (July 29, 2014)
- She wasn’t even sure how that was possible but he was taller and she was pretty sure he could crush her with one bicep and daaaammnnn that shoulder to waist ratio? Nuts. Like an upside down triangle. A Dorito. - Kate Bishop narrating in The Neighbourhood Sniper by winterlace (Aug. 1, 2014)
- Steve’s beaming when he quietly steps out of the room, leaving Sam to cough repeatedly while muttering about super villain origin stories and blonde-haired doritos. - Sam narrating in Scrub by pastelfalcon (Aug. 14, 2014)
- "Nah, that’s Steve, with his perfect hip-to-waist ratio. The man looks like a Dorito chip, have you ever had those? So bad for you, but they are actually delicious, now with added patriotism." - Clint Barton to Bucky in Silver Clouds With Gray Linings by ThanksForTheVenom (Sept. 9, 2014)
- “How is sharing a bed with your dumb dorito body a favor?” - Sam to Steve in your eyes look like coming home by countthestars (Sept. 17, 2014)
- "God. You're like a humility-flavored dorito with legs, you know that, right?" - Sam to Steve in A Humility-Flavored Dorito with Legs (RPer unknown) (July 17, 2014)
The trope is also sometimes subverted:
- “Has anyone ever told you that you have the shoulder-to-waist ratio of a dorito? Cause you don't.” - Steve to Tony Stark in Get Out Alive by Casuallysavingtheworld (date unknown)
- " Karkeion's reblog. Posted April 18, 2014. Accessed September 16, 2014.
- Chainsandcherries's reblog. Posted April 18, 2014. Accessed September 16, 2014.
- Allonsyarielle posted a still of Steve from one of the above gifs with a dorito pasted over his back. The text read "Disclaimer: The Dorito was not manipulated in any way other than scaled to fit the shoulder width of Cap in this photo. Cap really does have the shoulder to waist ratio of a Dorito!" By Sept. 16, the post was 150 notes shy of 40,000. Posted April 27, 2014. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- Oopsabird posted a photo of her holding up a dorito over an image of Steve Rogers in uniform, with the text "the internet does not lie" and including the tags "amazing, steve rogers, captain america, marvel, shoulder-waist ratio of a Doritos, chris evans, oopsabird, ha mine is better I used a real chip". It was 500 notes shy of 100,000 by September 17. Posted April 30, 2014. Accessed September 17, 2014.
- Now you'll never not associate Captain America with Doritos. by Remedios Varo. Posted May 1, 2014. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014
- Robert Downey Jr. & 'Avengers' Cast Unleash 'Age of Ultron' Details & Big Laughs at Comic-Con, posted by Entertainment Tonight on July 29, 2014. Accessed September 17, 2014.
- Chris Evans 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Exclusive Interview: Comic-Con (2014) HD, posted by Super Comic Fun Time on July 27, 2014. Accessed September 17, 2014.
- started from the bottom now we’re here.
- reblog; archived; archived reblog