|Creator:||Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Don Heck, Jack Kirby|
|Date(s):||March 1963 - first appearance in Tales of Suspense #39|
Sept 1963 - Avengers #1
May 1968 - Invincible Iron Man #1
March 2005 - Ultimate Iron Man #1
|Medium:||comics, films, cartoons, games|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Official Site at Marvel.com|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- For other Iron Man adaptions and their fandom information, see: Iron Man Movieverse, Iron Man: The Animated Series, and Iron Man: Armored Adventures.
- For Iron Man works with other teams, see: The Avengers (comics), The Avengers Movieverse, Super Hero Squad Show and The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
Iron Man debuted in March of 1963, in the Marvel Comics science fiction anthology Tales of Suspense. The character Tony Stark was the product of a collaboration between Stan Lee (editor/plotter), Larry Leiber (scripter), Don Heck (artist) and Jack Kirby (cover artist/character desgin). Tony Stark/Iron Man, playboy industrialist and war profiteer, was an unlikely superhero. Of the character's creation, Stan Lee famously said: "He was a weapons manufacturer, he was providing weapons for the Army, he was rich, he was an industrialist. ... I thought it would be fun to take the kind of character that nobody would like, none of our readers would like, and shove him down their throats and make them like him."
Over 45 years of consistent appearances in Marvel books, Iron Man's supporting cast has grown to include:
- Virginia "Pepper" Potts aka Hera aka Rescue (Tony's loyal assistant)
- Happy Hogan (Tony's driver and sometime bodyguard; deceased)
- Edwin Jarvis (the Stark family's butler; later the Avengers butler)
- JARVIS (artificial intelligence)
- James "Rhodey" Rhodes aka War Machine, (Tony's best friend and pilot)
- Whitney Frost aka Madame Masque (former girlfriend; supervillain)
- Rumiko Fujikawa (Tony's fiancée; deceased)
- The artificial intelligence Jocasta
- Sunset Bain (first girlfriend; supervillain)
Iron Man fandom is eclectic and dispersed. Popular fansites for Tony include The Iron Man Armory and Advanced Iron. General comics sites like Comic Book Resources, Scans Daily are also major hubs of Iron Man fandom. Fannish activities include vids, machinima, fanfiction, fanart and general geekery. While most comics-based fandom activities are centered around the main Marvel universe, there is also activity based on the Ultimate Avengers and Iron Man Noir lines, with Marvel Noir being the smallest fandom.
Fanart and Machinima
Iron Man machinima and fanart have been created using Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Second Life. Popular sites for posting and viewing IM machinina include Machinima.com and YouTube. YouTube also hosts a number of IM vids.
Michael Cho has been blogging about Iron Man fanart since January 2006, at Tony Stark: Your Go To Guy.
Iron Man fandom has been producing fanfic since the 90s, but it continues to be much rarer than other Marvel-based fanfiction. The recent increased visibilty of the character in Marvel 616 comics, has resulted in an upsurge in fannish activity.
Popular pairings for the comics include Tony Stark/Pepper Potts and Tony Stark/Steve Rogers. Iron Man comics fandom on LiveJournal is dominated by slash, with Steve/Tony being the most popular pairing. Gen and other pairings, including Tony/Pepper, Tony Stark/James "Rhodey" Rhodes, Tony Stark/Peter Parker, and Tony Stark/James "Bucky" Barnes, are somewhat less popular.
- How to woo your ex-enemy and fall in love: a guide by Doctor Doom and Iron Man by laireshi: A Tony Stark/Victor Von Doom crackship fic. Based on Bendis' Iron Man run. (10118 words)
- Screenburn by Ironlawyer. Henry Hellrung enacts a Steve Rogers/Tony Stark relationship. (1837 words).
- Thrust Issues by Sineala. Steve Rogers/Tony Stark. An epic length, slow burn sex comedy. (132827 words)
- take my hand by laireshi. Tony mourns the loss of Anthony. Gen. (1264 words). C
- Content With Dreaming by Ironlawyer. Steve Rogers/Tony Stark. Prostitute Tony. (4287 words).
- Never Too Late for Love by Sineala. Soulmate AU Steve Rogers/Tony Stark. (98059 words)
Iron Man Noir
- Crossfire by ashei. Written for Cap/Iron Man Big Bang 2012. Though both the war and his days of adventuring for Marvels are over, Tony Stark is still looking for a cure to his failing heart. When Nick Fury asks him and Captain America to investigate a newly discovered world dubbed the Savage Land, Tony jumps at the chance, hoping to find something - anything - that'll fix him. But once Tony finds that something, he discovers that it comes at the cost of Steve's humanity - leaving Tony to struggle to turn him back before it's too late.
- Look here, look back, look ahead by marinarusalka. September, 1941: Returning from a mission as Iron Man, Tony Stark crash-lands in the Carpathian Mountains and is rescued by Captain America. The two heroes team up to investigate Nazi activity at a mysterious castle. But Captain America is keeping secrets that could destroy their new partnership before it has a chance to begin.
- The Tower of Yesterday by manic_intent. Tony is the WWII hero waking up in the future.
- Iron Man's Fate in the Comics . A Venn diagram by AnonEhouse (2014)
Archives and Communities
- Iron Man (Comics) at A03
- Iron Man works at FFN
- Fugues Fiction Archive & Recommendations: Iron Man, a fanfiction recs site of the movieverse, comics, and alternate universes.
- Marvel_Fic: Iron Man at LiveJournal
- Iron Man Series tag at Marvel Slash
- Stark Industries
- Starks Armory
- Elspethdixon wrote the ship manifesto A Sword, A Horse, A Shield and a primer Printed Circuits: A Tony Stark character and fandom overview.
- Nix aka Crimson Quills ran a workshop on Writing Captain America/Iron Man and compiled The 62 Slashiest Moments.