|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||superheroines, masked vigilantes, costumed crime fighters|
|Related:||superpowers, supervillains, mutant, Metahuman|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- See Superhero for a disambiguation page.
A superhero is a type of fictional character possessing extraordinary talents, supernatural phenomena, or superhuman powers and dedicated to protecting the public. A female superhero is sometimes called a superheroine. Although it not considered to be requirement to have superpowers to be considered a superhero, the terms costumed crime fighters or masked vigilantes are used to define those types of characters such as Batman and Green Arrow. Superheroes often have a "secret identity," a civilian persona that they must keep protected from enemies.
Some superheroes use their powers to counter daily crime while also combating threats against humanity from supervillains, who are their criminal counterparts. Often at least one of these supervillains will be the superhero's archenemy. Some long-running superheroes have a rogues gallery of many villains.
Fandoms with canon superheroes
Fandoms with superheroes-centric canons include:
- The Avengers
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The Cape
- Captain America
- Fantastic Four
- Ghost Rider
- Justice League
- Kick Ass
- The Powerpuff Girls
- Power Rangers
- Professional Wrestling has Jushin Thunder Liger (based on the anime series), Super Nova and UltraMantis (originally a combination of Ultraman and Kamen Rider until he turned Heel and became UltraMantis Black.)
- Sailor Moon
- Teen Titans
- Wonder Woman
- World Wrestling Entertainment turned Shane Helms into The Hurricane in 2001, who was actually a heel at first as a member of the (WCW/ECW) Alliance. WWE turned Molly Holly into his sidekick Mighty Molly. (While The Hurricane later turned Face, minus the time in 2006 when he dropped the gimmick and returned to his real name of Gregory Helms, Molly dropped the superhero gimmick in 2002 and remained a heel for the rest of her career.) The Hurricane later teamed with Rosey, a 400 lbs. Samoan who was billed as a "Super Hero In Training," and they had a four-month reign as WWE World Tag Team Champions. Helms has used the Hurricane gimmick on and off in the independents ever since.
- Young Justice
Alternate Universe fanworks in which characters whose world does not have superheroes or vigilantism in canon are placed in an a universe where superheroes are part of society. Typically one or more main characters become superheroes. If the characters already have fantastical abilities in their canon, those abilities will likely be the hero's superpower in the AU. If not, the character's superpower in the AU may be based on other skills or traits associated with them.
Romances in which one person is a superhero and the other is a civilian whom they save (in the vein of Clark/Lois) are common. Fanworks about a larger cast may feature characters in a superhero team. Characters, whether or not they are antagonists in canon, may also be cast as Supervillains in the AU. This can be an enemyslash hero/villain relationship.
In fanart a Superhero AU can be an opportunity to imagine superhero uniforms or how superpowers look.
- I love Superheroes by despop
- Disney Princesses Aurora, Belle, Pocahontas & Snow White as superheroes by willemijn1991
- Movie Superheroes by shomanart
- X-men Evolution OC - Vivian Rosen by mekanomi111
- situation normal, all fucked up by questionablemorals, Bellamy/Clarke, It would probably be beneficial to the team and national security and her sanity if Clarke stopped thinking about ARK Enemy Number 16's mouth. Especially considering he's a telepath.
- you and me chasing paper by usoverlooked, Scott/Lydia, “I’m Scott McCall,” Scott says, offering his hand over the space between the desks. (Superman fusion)
- I Just Want to be a Superhero (Marvel)
- "With Great Power" - The Epic Superhero Mix
- MARVEL Tribute All Super-heroes
- 21st Century Superheroes
- Everyday Superhero Music Video (remade)
- The New Age of Superheroes
- Holding Out For A Hero: A Superheroes Music Video
- Marvel/DC Superheroes Radioactive
Archives and Communities
- Superheroes tag at Deviantart
- Superheroes tag at Tumblr
- Superwomen - an defunct resource for superheroines.
- Superhero Muses