|Creator:||Brian K. Vaughan & Adrian Alphona|
|Date(s):||2003 - 2009, 2017 - present|
|Medium:||comic book series|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Runaways at Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Runaways is a comic series published by Marvel Comics. It was created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, and has also been written and illustrated by others such as Joss Whedon,Terry Moore and Rainbow Rowell.
It is set in the Marvel Universe but does not feature superheroes. Instead, it is about the teenage children of supervillains who run away from their parents and fight crime, but not using code names or costumes. The original 18-issue story was a self-contained, complex plotline, and the ongoing series after that has built on the world and characters. The story and art are more diverse than most mainstream superhero comics, featuring many female characters, characters of color, and queer characters both in sexuality and gender presentation, as well as a variety of body types and fashions.
The fandom is not very large but there is some fic, mainly focusing on the canonical queer themes. The relaunch of the comics that coincided with the 2017 TV series helped grow the fandom.
When Runaways was orginally released some of the fan discussion happened on Brian K. Vaughan's official forum where Vaughan would occasionally interact with fans and answer question about the series. After the site and its forum was closed, discussion moved to more general comic book communities, as well as The Hostel, one of the larger Livejournal communities for Runaways.
- Karolina Dean/Xavin
- Chase Stein/Gertrude Yorkes
- Karolina Dean/Nico Minoru
- Karolina Dean/Julie Power
- Nico Minoru/Victor Mancha
- Gertrude Yorkes/Victor Mancha
Discussion & Controversies
Accusations of Racism
- The Volume 1 reveal that Alex, the only black member of the Runaways, was the mole and his subsequent death caused a significant number of the series' early fans to denounce it.
- Gert claiming to no longer wanting to be known by her "slave name" has been met with much criticism, especially from newer fans coming to the comics through the TV series.
- The inclusion of the Runaways in Avengers Arena was greatly disliked by fans. Being the first major book they appeared in after Runaways itself was cancelled, some were glad that the characters were able to continue in the Marvel universe, however others had problems with the darker Battle Royale theme of Avengers Arena.
- While Victor appeared in The Vision he was shown to have developed a secret addiction to vibranium almost immediately after joining the Runaways as a way of coping with the loss of his mother and chronic pain caused by his powers and superhero battles. This put his time with the Runaways in a much darker light and some fans argue that it was entirely out of character for Victor and doesn't fit in with previous continuity. Defenders insist that it's the kind of story that would fit in BKV's run, had he come up with it, and that Victor couldn't know he even can get addicted to vibranium.
- Karolina x Xavin by Autumn-Sacura
- Walk on the Ocean by kaileighblue (Karolina/Xavin)
- Karolina and Xavin by Arzeno
- Karolina the Reckoning by kaileighblue
- nico minoru by cakes
- Runaways by dronio
- Runaways: Nico and Karolina by kevinTUT
- Gert and Old Lace by darkmagistric
- Runaways: Another point of view by jarronnelums