|Occupation:||Inventor, Industrialist, engineer, Spy|
|Relationships:||Maria Stark (wife); Tony Stark (Iron Man, son); Edwin Jarvis (butler); Peggy Carter (friend/ally); Steve Rogers (ally), Loni Stane (1st wife in Ultimate Marvel), Howard Stark Sr. (father)|
|Fandom:||Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers (Marvel), Ultimate Marvel;|
Iron Man Movieverse, Captain America Movieverse, Agent Carter (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Howard Stark was a brilliant scientist and business man whom eventually founded Stark Industries. Howard was an inventive mechanical engineering prodigy, constantly creating new technology and looking for ways to improve it. He designed and built weaponry and devices that have revolutionized the industrial world, such as various technologies used by S.H.I.E.L.D. and its allies. Howard would later marry Maria Collins Carbonell and they had a son Tony. Howard's relationship with Tony was a difficult one, however, with Howard rarely expressing affection for the boy. Howard's one major weakness was his severe case of alcoholism, a problem Tony himself would inherit. He and his wife were killed in a car crash.
Marvel Cinematic Universe
The role of Howard Stark has been portrayed by three actors; Gerard Sanders in Iron Man, John Slattery in Iron Man 2 and Ant-Man, and Dominic Cooper in Captain America: The First Avenger. Cooper reprised his role in the Marvel One-Shot's Agent Carter and the television series Agent Carter, while Slattery reprised his role in Ant-Man and Captain America: Civil War.
The character gained a lot of attention with his Captain America: The First Avenger appearance.
The popular pairings for the character are non-canon Howard/Steve Rogers and canon Howard/Maria Stark. With the release of Agent Carter, the pairing of Howard/Peggy Carter appeared more often. A 'microfandom' of works centered around Howard Stark & Peggy Carter during the Cold War also flourished before the airing of the show.
Common Tropes & Fanon
In the MCU related fanworks:
- Howard and Maria were killed in a car crash due to the Winter Soldier.
- When a character (usually Darcy Lewis) gets sent to the past, they often visit Howard to try and find a way back.
- A+ Parenting
- A particle, a wave by kvikindi.
- Prince of the Apple Towns by kvikindi.
- May Memory Restore by nimmieamee.
- a new york city man by M_Leigh.
- Howard Stark, ‘Dr Reinstein’, and the supersoldier serum in the MCU by [aegir]. Speculative essay which addresses the question of why Howard Stark was driving around with supersoldier serum in 1991
Archives and Communities
- Howard Stark works tagged at AO3
- Howard Stark works at FFN (Iron Man category)
- Howard Stark works at FFN (CA Movieverse category)
- Howard Stark works at FFN (CA comics category)
- Howard Stark works at FFN (Agent Carter category)
- Howard Stark works at FFN (Iron Man: Armored Adventures category)