Ant-Man and the Wasp Movieverse
Ant-Man and the Wasp
|Creator:||Peyton Reed (director)|
Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, Adam McKay, and Paul Rudd (AM screenwriters)
Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers, Paul Rudd, Andrew Barrer, Gabriel Ferrari (AMATW screenwriters)
Based on Ant-Man by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, and Jack Kirby Wasp by Stan Lee, Ernie Hart, and Jack Kirby
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Ant-Man Wikipedia, Ant-Man and the Wasp Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp are superhero films based on the Marvel comic book characters of the same name, set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The films stars Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne, and Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet van Dyne. Between the two films, many of the same characters/cast returned.
- Several months after the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron, thief Scott Lang must aid his mentor and former hero Dr. Hank Pym in safeguarding the mystery of the Ant-Man technology—which allows its user to decrease in size but increase in strength—from various new threats, and plot a heist that will save the Earth.
- Scott Lang/Ant-Man
- Hope van Dyne/Wasp
- Hank Pym/Ant-Man
- Jim Paxton
- Maggie Lang
- Cassie Lang
- Sam Wilson/Falcon
- Janet van Dyne/Wasp
- Darren Cross/Yellowjacket
- Ava Starr/Ghost
- Agent Jimmy Woo
- Bill Foster
The most popular pairing in Ant-Man fandom is the canon relationship of Scott Lang/Hope van Dyne, which is first established in Ant-Man and continues in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Scott Lang/Reader is also fairly popular. Hank Pym is reunited with his wife Janet in Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Hank Pym/Janet van Dyne appears in some fics, mainly as a side pairing.
More niche ships include Scott Lang/Luis, which ships Scott with his fellow ex-con Luis, and Scott Lang/Jimmy Woo, which ships Scott with the FBI agent in charge of his house arrest in Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Shipping Scott and Hope with other MCU pairings appeared soon after Ant-Man and Civil War was released: Scott Lang/Tony Stark, Scott Lang/Darcy Lewis, Hope van Dyne/Natasha Romanoff, and Hope van Dyne/Darcy Lewis.
Prior to the release of Infinity War - which Scott Lang did not appear in - fans devised a half-crack, half-serious theory that Ant-Man would defeat Thanos by crawling up his butt (while ant-sized) and expanding, also known as the Thanus Theory. This quickly became a meme and was even more widespread in the run-up to the release of Avengers: Endgame, to the point that it was referenced by the the actor who plays Thanos, Josh Brolin, in a video posted to his Instagram. At one point, the Russo Brothers - directors of Avengers: Endgame - even had an image referencing the meme as their Instagram profile picture.
Fan videos were created to discuss the potential physics behind the theory. On April 10, 2019, erotic author Chuck Tingle released his own take on the theory: a short story entitled 'Revengers Buttgame: Antguy Gets Small To Go Into Thamos' Butt And Then Gets Big And Hard'. The theory ultimately received a nod in Avengers: Endgame with Rhodey implying via a hand motion in one scene that Ant-Man could defeat Thanos by crawling up inside him.
- Ant-man by DaegStone
- Ant-Man Countdown: 2 more days ft Hank Pym and Hope Van Dyne by corinadraws
- After story telling time at breakfast by corinadraws, of Scott and Cassie Lang & Sam Wilson.
- Janet van Dyne by shallowvenus
- Ant-Man and Wasp Charms by tinymintywolf
- Your pain… I can feel it. by godzillaswaisttrainer (Ava Starr)
- Ava Starr, aka Ghost by crookedtidalwaves
Archives & Fannish Links
- Ant-Man works at AO3
- Ant-Man & crossover works at FFN
- Tumblr tags: ant-man, ant-man 2015, antman and the wasp, ant-man and the wasp, amatw
- Darcy and Agent Woo Returning for WandaVision Comicbook.com. August 23, 2019.
- Ant-Man Will Defeat Thanos by Crawling Up His Butt and Expanding, KnowYourMeme.
- The Instagram post features a reposted video of Brolin straining on the toilet - initially posted in April 2018 - with the caption, The tension around what “Endgame” is going to bring. I can feel it, as you can see. Can you? 😈 #tbt #thanosmarketingpush #flushanantman
- Tweet by @harleivy, posted March 29, 2019 (Accessed May 6, 2019).
- Why The Ant-Man/Thanos Theory Doesn't Work by John Campea via YouTube, posted June 7, 2018 (Accessed May 6, 2019).
- Ant-Man VS. Thanos’ Butt: The Science by Because Science via YouTube, posted April 11, 2019 (Accessed May 6, 2019).
- Tweet by Chuck Tingle, posted April 10, 2019 (accessed May 6, 2019). "please enjoy new tingler superhero event REVENGERS BUTTGAME: ANTGUY GETS SMALL TO GO INTO THAMOS' BUTT AND THEN GETS BIG AND HARD out now"