|Synonyms:||rare pairing, uncommon pairing, ibara|
|See also:||crossover pairing, side pairing, unconventional pairing|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Not to be confused with Rareshipping (Yu-Gi-Oh).
A rarepair is a term for a pairing or ship that is rare in a fandom. It is not featured in many fanworks and makes up a only small proportion of the overall total. A rare pair may be canon, but is often not. Some pairings may be shipped by a lot of fans, but be uncommon in fanworks. A rarepair may be a fan's OTP, or just shipped on the side.
Reasons for a pairing being uncommon include a lack of screentime or interaction in canon, one or both characters being unpopular in fandom, being a crossover ship, featuring an unpopular relationship dynamic (for example, age difference or incest), or the fandom base itself may be made up of people who prefer a different kind of ship – for example, a rare het pairing in a m/m slash-heavy fandom.
Examples of rarepairs
- Scully/Krycek in The X-Files
- Rodney/Ronon in Stargate Atlantis
- Inui/Ryouma in Prince of Tennis
- Starsky/Huggy Bear or Hutch/Huggy Bear in Starsky & Hutch
- Darcy Lewis/Fandral in the Thor Movieverse
- Diana Prince/Harleen Quinzel in the DCU
- Barbara Holland/Nancy Wheeler in Stranger Things
- Pyrrha Nikos/Ruby Rose in RWBY
- Works tagged Rare Pairing on Archive of Our Own
- Small fandom and rare pairing drabblethon
- Small Fandom and Rare Pairing/Rarely-Written Character Promote-a-thon
- Rare Pair Fest (link) exchange onLiveJournal and AO3
- Minority Pairings Community
- HP Rarities Exchange - Harry Potter rarepairs fic exchange.
- Transformers Rare Pairing community on Livejournal
- Spice Up Your Life: A Teen Wolf Ficathon, a Teen Wolf ficathon for any pairing but Sterek
- Marvel Rarepair - rarepairs of the Marvel Universe tumblr.
- The Flash RarePair - a rarepair Arrowverse tumblr.
- The 100 Rare Pairs Challenge - The 100, any paring except Bellarke or Clexa
- The 100 Rare Pairs Event - The 100, also any paring except Bellarke or Clexa
- Slash is where you find it., by The Divine Adoratrice ("Why not go off the beaten path once in a while?") (July 14, 1998)
- Rarepairs, Archived version (So if you are a rarepairs writer, does the lack of feedback influence your writing them? ) (Jan 2005)
- Fandom Evolution & Rarepairs, Archived version (In order to understand the dynamic process of fandom, we have to look at its history. on fandom evolution.) (Jan 2005)
- "no one reads rare pairs", Archived version anon ask answered by sleepy-skittles (February 17, 2016)
- A short comic about shipping and why I need to stop doing it, Archived version by w1zrad-art (January 29, 2016)