Prince of Tennis
|Name:||Prince of Tennis (テニスの王子様)|
|Date(s):||1999-2008 (manga), 2001-present (anime), 2009-present (shin manga)|
|Medium:||manga, anime, musicals, live-action|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|External Links:||TV Tokyo's Anime Site/JP, JUMP's shin tenisu no oujisama Site/JP, Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Prince of Tennis, or tenisu no oujisama, started as a Japanese sports manga that was serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump, was adapted as an anime series, and has evolved into a media franchise with popular musicals, computer games, trading cards, etc. Recently a Chinese live-action drama adaptation began airing as well. In 2009 Shin tennisu no oujisama began serialization in JUMP Square. The story is set several months after the end of the first manga series.
Prince of Tennis is a shounen sports manga that follows the progress of a protagonist team, Seigaku, toward the National junior high competitions, and the progress of the nominal hero, Echizen Ryouma, toward the realization of his full tennis-playing potential.
The LiveJournal PoT fandom is large and consistently active, though it has a certain amount of turnover among the fans who favor some particular media format and leave when that version concludes.
Given the large number of rival teams that the protagonist team faces over time, and the ultimate sympathy with which those characters are developed, many fans are drawn to one or two teams in particular. Thus the PoT fandom is also prone to divisions along team lines, with separate comms devoted to discussion of and fanworks for those teams.
With such a large cast, containing only a token woman or two, the potential for rivalslash is high. Given the intensity with which team bonds are presented, in-team pairings are also very common, especially between characters shown playing as doubles partners. An interesting peculiarity of PoT fandom is to give doubles pairings names on the pattern of "the Adjective Pair". This is based similar titles Konomi gave for some doubles teams, but was expanded considerably by the fans.
Despite, or possibly because of, the vast number of possible pairings, pairing wars are relatively rare in this fandom.
While het stories are not very prevalent, there is a small community of fans who do write Ryoma/Sakuno.
- Tenipuri - General Livejournal community with over 3000 members, allowing all fanfiction, fanart, discussions, icons, songs, etc.
- PoTFics - Prince of Tennis Fanfiction Writers' Journal, nearly 800 members, for fanfiction only.
- Prince of Tennis on Fanfiction.net (some 20,000 stories as of December 2011, making it one of the larger anime/manga fandoms on ff.net).
- Prince of Tennis on Archive of Our Own (approx 1200 works as of December 2011).
In the early 2000s Prince of Tennis had a very active doujinshi community, resulting in high popularity at Comiket. Even professional mangaka, such as Kodaka Kazuma, were producing doujinshi for this fandom. Due to the vast number of male characters most fan comics featured yaoi couples.
Fan Soundtracks (aka Fanmixes)
An example: Prince of Tennis: When Fan Meets Fanon by petronia
Ship Manifesto pairing essays:
- Right by Your Side by aishuu, Tezuka Kunimitsu x Fuji Syuusuke (Mar 2005)
- Golden Love by lexarose, Oishi Syuichirou x Kikumaru Eiji (May 2005)
- In the Shadows by tokkitsu, Hiyoshi Wakashi x Taki Haginosuke (May 2005)
- Essence by muzivitch, Yanagi Renji x Kirihara Akaya (May 2005)
- Contents Highly Flammable by sumeragiskank, Sanada Genichirou x Atobe Keigo (May 2005)
- Relativity by darknightrain, Yanagi Renji x Inui Sadaharu (Jul 2005)
- A Sublime Paradox by post_position, Yagyuu Hiroshi x Niou Masaharu (Sep 2005)
- Samurai's Honor by pengiesama, Sanada Genichirou x Yukimura Seiichi (Sep 2005)
- Her Knight in Flapping Tennis Garb by bobbissimo, Echizen Ryoma x Ryuzaki Sakuno (Mar 2007)
- My Analysis and Evidence on How Canon/Gay/Married Shishido and Ohtori Are by green_tea_river, Shishido Ryou x Ohtori Choutarou (May 2007)
Idol Reflection character essays:
- Trickster of the Courts by assyrian, Niou Masaharu (Sep 2005)
- "I'll Crush You!" by assyrian, Kirihara Akaya (Oct 2005)
- Defreezing the 'Ice King' by thesundaywriter, Tezuka Kunimitsu (Oct 2005)
- To Stand Under A Diva's Spotlight by thesundaywriter, Atobe Keigo (Oct 2005)
- Delicate Blossom by dropsofgleam, Sakuno Ryuuzaki (Jan 2007)
- http://mangahelpers.com/m/new-prince-of-tennis Accessed May 5th 2011.
- Although still well behind behind Naruto (291K), InuYasha (102K), Bleach (61K), Yu-Gi-Oh (58K), Hetalia Axis Powers (47K), and not quite overtaking Card Captor Sakura or Yu Yu Hakusho (9 December 2011).
- What is the Comic Market? Accessed May 5th 2011.
- http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=184 Accessed May 5th 2011.