Barbara Holland/Nancy Wheeler
|Pairing:||Barbara Holland/Nancy Wheeler|
|Other:||Barbara Holland & Nancy Wheeler (platonic)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Barbara and Nancy are best friends prior to the start of the series. While at Steve Harrington's house Nancy and Barb have a fight, causing Nancy to go outside by herself, leading to her being captured and killed by the Demogorgon. Nancy spends season 1 looking for Barb, and season 2 feeling guilty for Barb's death.
The Duffer Brother, creators of Stranger Things, on Barb's role in season 2:
Barb finally got her justice this season. Was that always planned, or was it in a response to the fan outpouring last season?
Ross: It’s hard to know. We had Barb’s parents and Nancy dealing with it long before this season; we were working on Season 2 long before that came out. It’s so hard to know how much effect it had, but we certainly wanted a big idea for this season to be the characters to be dealing with the trauma of what happened in the past. We wanted people to react realistically for that, and for someone like Nancy who feels guilty because she played a part in her best friend’s death, that’s not something you can just brush aside and get over in a year. So we needed her to be dealing with it. So that storyline was already set in motion by the time the Barb stuff came out which took us all completely by surprise. We were not expecting that.- ‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers on ‘Scarier’ Season 2, Justice for Barb and That Death (SPOILERS)
Many in the fandom have argued that Barb is a queer coded character, and additionally that she has unrequited love for her best friend Nancy. A common joke among fans is that Barb is a queer character because she is deceased, following the bury your gays trope. "Justice for Barb," became a common phrase.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Pastfic: focusing on Nancy and Barb's relationship before the beginning of the series
- Pining: one sided romantic relationship, usually Barb pining for Nancy
- Barb lives: Barb is not killed by the Demogorgon
- Barb/Nancy is a rarepair that sprung up due to Barb's status as Nancy's best friend and her sudden demise. Multi-pairing works involving Nancy Wheeler are fairly common, and her relationship with Barb may be explored along with her relationships with Steve Harrington and Jonathan Byers.
Drawing & Illustration
- only on ep. 2 of stranger things but i’m kinda secretly hoping that barb and nancy pull a “girls like girls” move on steve and become girlfriends, Archived version by fanruodan (September 4, 2016)
- how it should have ended…, Archived version by crowzep (August 16, 2016)
Graphics, Manips, & Edits
- nancy and barb, Archived version by grimrhythms (Sep 6th, 2016)
- She’s missing and something terrible happened to her. I know it. I know it!, Archived version by dean-thomas (September 8, 2016)
- Pride Moodboards 4/? - Barbara Holland/Nancy Wheeler (Stranger Things), Archived version by ghost-grantaire (June 19th 2017)
- Under Pressure (All Devils Here Now) by thatsarockfact55 (2016)
- Broken Glasses by AccioInvisibilityCloak (2016)
- i'll stop the world and melt with you by skywalkingsolo (2016)
- Over Burning Coals by estelraca