- This article is about the character. For the television series, see Jessica Jones (TV series).
|Occupation:||private investigator, ex-superhero, reporter|
|Title/Rank:||Jewel, Knightress, Power Woman (aliases)|
|Location:||New York, United States|
|Relationships:|| Luke Cage (love interest, comics husband)|
Trish Walker (MCU best friend/adoptive sister)
|Fandom:||Marvel Comics (Alias, The Pulse, Jessica Jones), Marvel Cinematic Universe (Jessica Jones, The Defenders), New Avengers, Young Avengers|
|Other:||portrayed by Krysten Ritter in the MCU|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Jessica Jones is a Marvel Comics character who first appeared as the protagonist of the comics series Alias, created by Brian Michael Bendis. Alias ran from 2001 to 2004, and Jessica Jones subsequently starred in the 2004 to 2006 series The Pulse.
It was announced in 2013 that a live-action television series centering on Jessica Jones would be released on Netflix and be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The first season of Jessica Jones (working title AKA Jessica Jones), starring Krysten Ritter, was released in November 2015. The character will also appear in the upcoming 2017 Netflix series The Defenders, and Jessica Jones has been renewed for a second season to be released in 2018 or later.
A new comic series by Bendis called Jessica Jones debuted in late 2016.
The announcement that Jessica Jones would get her own Netflix series lead to renewed fannish interest in the character. Jessica has appeared in the Jessica Jones and The Defenders TV series. Fanworks including Jessica are often crossover works, including characters from other MCU TV series and movies.
In canon, Jessica has a non-consensual relationship with Kilgrave while under the influence of his mind control powers. The pairing of Jessica Jones/Kilgrave is somewhat popular, and there has been much fan discussion about the appropriateness of shipping a victim with her abuser. Many works in the pairing acknowledge the problematic nature of their relationship, and contain warning tags such as non-con, dub-con and PTSD.
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Meeting the Avengers and alternate first meetings with other Defenders
- PTSD following Jessica's abusive relationship with Kilgrave
- Day drinking and generally using alcohol as a coping mechanism
- AKA Superheroes Anonymous by onethingconstant, In which the Barnes-Jones Drinking Society gets a couple of new members.
- Franklin P. Nelson: Super-Attorney by enthusiasmgirl, Even before he found out that Matt was Daredevil, Foggy was earning Nelson and Murdock a reputation as the go-to law firm for superheroes. He was as surprised as anyone else by how it happened. (Chapter 7: Jessica Jones).
- AKA I Need A Drink by BiJane, The Avengers haven't been able to deal with Killgrave. Of course they'd try to recruit the person who could.
- Remember to Let Her Into Your Heart by willowbilly, Jessica cuts Trish off by flapping a hand in front of her nose. “One sec.” She reaches into her coat and draws out a very small, rather crushed bouquet of violets, unwraps them, and plunks them into the squat makeshift vase. (Jessica Jones/Trish Walker)
- Jessica Jones // Control (S1 Spoilers)
- Jessica Jones || 99 Problems
- Jessica Jones | Insane like me
- Matt + Jessica | Hey Na Na (humor)
- Jessica Jones meta that nobody asked for (aka reasons you HAVE TO WATCH IT) by say-kaviar
- Some thoughts on Jessica Jones by feminist frequency
- Strong Female Characters: Jessica Jones by JoWritesStuff
Archives & Fannish Links
- Works tagged Jessica Jones at Archive of Our Own
- Jessica J. character filter in TV Shows > Jessica Jones at FanFiction.Net
- Jewel/Jessica J. character filer in Comics > Avengers at FanFiction.Net
- /r/JessicaJones at Reddit
- jessica-jones tag at Tumblr
- Jessica Jones at Wikipedia
- Jessica Jones at the Marvel Universe Wiki
- Jessica Jones at Marvel Database at Wikia
- Jessica Jones at Marvel Movies at Wikia
- Jessica Jones at Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki at Wikia