Clint Barton/Natasha Romanova
|Pairing:||Clint Barton/Natasha Romanova|
|Alternative name(s):||Hawkeye/Black Widow, Blackeye, Blackhawk, Clintasha |
|Fandom:||The Avengers (comics), Marvel Comics, The Avengers Movieverse (MCU)|
|Canonical?:||The pairing is canonical in the Marvel Comics 616 universe, but not in the MCU.|
|Prevalence:||popular in MCU|
|Archives:||AO3 works, The Budapest Archives (fanart)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Natasha, originally a villain in early comics canon, convinced a young, impressionable Clint to join her and help her further her plans. Clint quickly fell for her and followed her lead, and while she was only manipulating him at first, she eventually developed feelings for him too. She was a major inspiration for his joining the Avengers to "make amends" for his villanious past. Natasha remained a Soviet spy for a while, becoming Clint's enemy, but unlike against the rest of the Avengers, she refused to fight him. Clint was the one who eventually broke through her brainwashing, though Natasha didn't join the good guys for a while yet.
The pairing was broken up in the 1970s but they remained friends for decades. Marvel made them canon again in 2017, presumably due to the highened interest in the pairing thanks to the success of the MCU.
Marvel Cinematic UniverseS.H.I.E.L.D. sent Clint to kill Natasha who at the time still worked as a spy for the KGB. Clint made a different call and the two develop a lasting partnership after Natasha joins S.H.I.E.L.D. The movies make a point of showing the two of them worrying about each other and villains such as Loki using their connection to manipulate and threaten them.
The pairing hasn't been canon in the comics since the 1970s so Clint/Natasha was considered a rarepair for decades. While most people were only invested in their MCU versions, the movies brought in a new wave of fans who transitioned to the comics and continue shipping them in the 616 verse. There were only 3 Clint/Natasha fics hosted on AO3 before the MCU brought their relationship to prominence; that number rose to over 500 comics-verse fics by 2018.
Marvel Cinematic Universe
The pairing particularly became popular after The Avengers film, which indicated that Clint was the reason Natasha ends up joining S.H.I.E.L.D. and referenced their past history. Fans interpreted their shared scenes as well as several background details (Natasha's arrow necklace or her wearing Clint's hoodie) as romantic and many claimed the pairing would become canon in future movies.
The pairing was confirmed to be only friendship/partners in Avengers: Age of Ultron and no actual romance between them happened since Clint is married. Due to this and other canon established, the movie got a lot of backlash. Despite everything, the pairing remains popular, and Clint & Natasha started to being paired up together in a threesome pairing with Laura Barton.
The pairing is the most tagged het pairing in the MCU fandom, though they only appear as a background ship in a significant portion of those fics.
Common Tropes and Fanon
- Arrow Necklace: Fanworks inspired by the arrow necklace Natasha was wearing during CA:TWS.
- Budapest: Several fanworks have attempts to explore an exchange between Natasha and Clint in The Avengers film in which Natasha says "Just like Budapest all over again!" and Clint responds "You and I remember Budapest very differently."
- Backstory: Fanworks exploring either or both characters' backstory, often taking cues from the comics, other times starting from scratch.
- First Meeting: The first time Natasha and Clint meet, most often not taking cues from the comics.
- Hurt/comfort: The h/c roles switch fairly often.
- Secret Marriage: They either get married in secret or have a long-established marriage the rest of the team doesn't know about.
- Partners/Buddycops: Working as partners before or during their time with S.H.I.E.L.D., whether they're romantically involved or not.
- Blackeye, Blackhawk and Clintasha are all common pairing names for the ship.
- Boyfriend Files: Hawkeye, the Marksman! by Fuck Yeah Black Widow, an overview of Natasha and Clint's early years and their time spent as villains.
- You Don't Talk about Fight Club: Hawkeye and Black Widow Meta by okayophelia
- "Can you or someone you know explain me why are Clint and Natasha soulmates?" by the-feels-assassin
- Dear Natasha by javct, an extremely popular sadfic, inspired Dearest Natasha a fan song, and plagued the Tumblr tag with sad reactions.
- we were emergencies by gyzym (MCU), It's not about being unmade; it's about remaking, one aching step at a time.
- Boys Wanna Be Her by paperclipbitch (MCU), Clint makes a mental note never to tell Nat that he realised he was inside her body by recognising her boobs. (Fic deals with the bodyswap trope)
- bring me home to you by ernyx, Meta prompt: the first time she meets Clint (Marvel 616)
- Budapest by cupoftea991. "You and I remember Budapest very differently."
- Compromised by TatyanaOracle
- I don't believe in fairytales, a Natasha Romanova POV vid with Clint/Natasha pairing.
- Sweet Dreams by NewMoonInTheSummers.
- "Will all our sins be justified?" by TatyanaOracle, a Clint Barton focused vid with Clint/Natasha pairing.
- He Made a Different Call by yawwnpanda.
- Dark Paradise by Kayla Dempewolf.
- Companion pieces that illustrate Clint and Natasha talking about attributes of their partner by Lettie on tumblr. Both were inspired by an earlier comic by Lettie that plays off of Loki's line in The Avengers movie: "Barton told me everything."
- He was a boy, she was a girl. Can I make it anymore obvious? by peterquill, a highschool AU gif set. (September 20, 2012)
- Bogota by *Sairobi (June 8, 2012)
- This is nothing we were ever trained for... by *SilkSpectreII
- Budapest by ~Anaeolist
- I'll Protect You by =Fiveonthe
- Clint/Natasha picspam of Avengers film
- "He missed me on purpose", a gif set about when Clint and Natasha first meet.
- Budapest by ~jadenwithwings
- Natasha from IM2 and Clint from Thor by kanapy and their other Clintasha fanworks
- Remember Us by artgyrl.
- Blackeye by angelwingkitsune
- Black Widow x Hawkeye Sketch by kota_stoker
- CLINTASHA AU by loveholic198, According to official S.H.I.E.L.D. records, Agent Clint Barton brought the infamous Black Widow back to HQ immediately after she surrendered herself. The months leading up to this compromise, however, remain unaccounted for. a fanmade gif-picspam
- Black Widow and Hawkeye by Fandias
- AVENGERS - BLACK WIDOW and HAWKEYE (2015) by scotty309
- Hawkeye and Black Widow - Arrows and Bullets by LadyMintLeaf
- Budapest: The Movie
Black Widow + Hawkeye, by astridv. The stark outlines created by the marker, as well as the limited use of color for Hawkeye's blood, heighten the sense of urgency and danger in the scene.
Hawkeye & Black Widow, by KymeraKirsty. Black-and-white digital art depicting an emotional moment; Black Widow is crying.
Hawkeye x Black Widow, by Sabaku-Chick. Color digital art with a white glow effect that sets the tone of the happy romantic scene.
Fests and Exchanges
- Promptathon 2012: Masterlist One
- Promptathon 2012: Masterlist Two
- Promptathon 2012: Filled and Unfilled Prompts
- Secret Santa 2012: Masterlist
- Valentine's Mini-Promptathon 2013
- Promptathon 2013
- Promptathon 2013 Masterlist
- Secret Santa 2013 Masterlist
- Valentine's Mini-Promptathon 2014
- Remix Exchange 2014 Masterlist
- Promptathon 2014
- Promptathon 2014 Masterlist
- Secret Santa 2014 Masterlist
- Valentine's Mini Promptathon 2015
- AU Exchange 2015
- Promptathon 2015
- Promptathon 2015 Masterlist
- Secret Santa 2015 Masterlist
- Valentine's Mini Promptathon 2016
- Promptathon 2016
- Promptathon 2016 Masterlist
- Clintasha Week 2017
Archives and Communities
- Clint/Natasha works at AO3
- Clint/Natasha works at FFN under the Avengers (2012) category
- Clint/Natasha works at FFN under the Avengers (comics) category
- Be Compromised, a livejournal community
- The Budapest Archives
- Clint/Natasha works at Pixiv
- ClintXNatasha group on DeviantART
- Hawkeye-x-Blackwidow group on DeviantART
- fybartonromanoff on Tumblr
- Clint X Natasha (deviantart)
- Fuck Yeah Hawkeye + Blackwidow (tumblr)
- Shipper Manifesto - Natasha Romanoff/Clint Barton on Het Reccers
- Black Widow/Hawkeye Recommended Issues Reading List by lornahs
- Fanwork Rec Fridays on be-compromised
- The Avengers Ships: Master List
- Boyfriend Files: Hawkeye, the Marksman!, by Fuck Yeah Black Widow. 19th August 2011, (accessed 1st August 2017)
- "Natasha’s fate was a large part of what motivated him to join up in the first place.", by Fuck Yeah Black Widow. 24th October 2012, (accessed 26th November 2017)
- "Can you or someone you know explain me why are Clint and Natasha soulmates?", by the-feels-assassin. 22nd February, 2015, (accessed 12th March 2018)
- A Guide To Tags And Tagging on be-compromised