Don't Look too Closely (all the angles are oblique)
|Title:||Don't Look too Closely (all the angles are oblique)|
|Date(s):||08 November 2012 - present (WIP)|
|Length:||161,917 words (as of June 15, 2015)|
|Genre:||slash fanfiction, BDSM|
|Fandom:||The Avengers (2012), MCU|
|External Links:||Don't Look too Closely (all the angles are oblique) (AO3)|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Don't Look too Closely (all the angles are oblique) is Steve/Tony BDSM series by shaenie. It's a MCU canon AU, starting before the events of the Avengers movie. As of August 2018, there are six parts in the series, which is marked as incompleted on AO3.
Part 1: In the Springtime of His Voodoo (9,821 words)
- Summary: “I’m removing Captain Rogers from this base, but not from active duty. I want him as SHIELD’s liaison to Stark Industries first and foremost. He’ll report directly to me,” Fury says. “As it is, your identity as Captain America is not public knowledge and it will remain that way until I say otherwise. That said, if you think you can get Tony Stark to work with you if you disclose that information, you have permission to do so.” (08 November 2012)
Part 2: Next I go to Seven Gates (each step less a mystery) (22,766 words)
- Summary: The truth is, he can’t wait to see Tony again. Even more truthful, he’s fiercely hopeful that Tony is still interested in their half-engineered agreement. Tony sounds like it, but he tries to keep his expectations low.
- Nobody has to tell him that Tony Stark can be fickle.
- It doesn’t change the fact that he craves Tony’s touch, even after having it just that once, and he doesn’t see any reason not to take what Tony is offering as long as Steve doesn’t forget exactly what that is. (20 November 2012)
Part 3: Will You Strike While He's Still Loading (29,199 words)
- Summary: Fury says, “You’re fucking with me. You expect me to send in some random person to replace you, when you’ve already got a strong rapport with Stark. However you managed to get it.” Fury shakes his head, but smiles a little ruefully. “I’d have to be a moron to try and reassign you. Stark would shut down any attempt at replacing you.” He shakes his head again. “You keep surprising me,” he says. “You’re sure you don’t feel coerced in any way?”
- “Not in the slightest, Director. If anyone tricked anyone, I tricked him. I don’t want this information used against Tony,” Steve says, his voice as commanding as he knows how to make it.
- Fury holds up both hands, not in surrender, but as if to balance. “No one but me needs to know this, and I hope to never talk about Stark’s sex life ever again.” There is finally some amusement in his voice. Steve’s shoulders relax. “I do have a recommendation, however,” Fury says.
- “Sir?” Steve asks.
- “Tell him who you are. Stark does not like surprises. He won’t appreciate finding out after the fact.” Fury gives him a long look. “That’s not an order, but think about it. If he finds out and you aren’t the one that tells him, he’s going to react badly.” (03 December 2012)
Part 4: We've Done this Before (as Mars Sauntered Through His Door) (32,875 words)
- Summary: “Why’re you awake?” Steve wonders out loud.
- “I don’t have what anyone would call regular sleeping habits,” Tony says, lips curling a little. “There’s some stuff in the workshop I want to get done.”
- “Mmm,” Steve says. “You could have gone.” He’s pretty sure he means it; he’d half expected to wake up alone this morning anyway.
- “I wanted a look at your back,” Tony says.
- Steve wriggles over onto his front. The lights brighten a little in the room, and Tony’s hands slip easily down his back, and then flip the covers down so that he can continue down Steve’s ass.
- “I don’t know if I’m disappointed or excited,” Tony says.
- Steve makes a noise of agreement. “Walking around with the marks under my clothes would have been...” he says.
- “I know,” Tony agrees. “But this way, there’s almost no wait time between wanting and doing.”
- Steve makes another lazy sound of agreement. (26 December 2012)
Part 5: You've Never Looked So Sane (27,348 words)
- Summary: Fury stares at him for another few seconds, but then just nods tightly. “Coulson’s right. I’m not surprised that he can do it. But we haven’t been able to figure out why.”
- “He’ll tell us when he gets here,” Steve says. Coulson and Fury both look at him. “He wouldn’t do it without a reason. He certainly didn’t have to leave you with a message that Stark Industries is responsible for locking down your systems, but he did. He hasn’t contacted us with a reason, which means he doesn’t think he can do it by phone or computer. The countdown has to be his ETA.”
- Coulson relaxes marginally; Fury merely looks thoughtful. The countdown is showing thirty-two seconds. (01 August 2013)
Part 6: You're Walking the Wire (between pain and desire) (39,908 words)
- Summary:“JARVIS, do a soft and hard line sweep of the entire tower and a two block radius for redline equipment.”
- “Yes, Sir,” JARVIS says.
- “What does that mean?” Steve asks.
- “It means we both got a call to report to SHIELD thirty seconds after we started talking about the other potential members of the Initiative,” Tony says. “That doesn’t strike you as an unlikely coincidence?” (15 June 2015)
Recs and Reviews
The consensus is that this series is remarkably hot. "Hotter than 50 shades" and a "Really amazing ongoing series of gorgeous smut (so much more than smut though!)" on "So many levels of right and hot and well written I wouldn't know where to begin if I tried" and the "hands down best D/s and probably best Stony". In other words, "Top Shelf. Desperate for more."
This is an absolutely gorgeous BDSM series. These stories, all flowing seamlessly together, are probably the best introduction to this lifestyle in just about every aspect (though note that, at this reading, there are only three chapters and has only covered a few things but what has been covered has been done thoroughly, and informatively, enough that I have no qualms in saying that it's an excellent primer). If you're unsure of BDSM but wanting to give it a try to see if you like reading about it this is definitely the series in which to try the experience. The pacing is wonderful, the exchanges explained and discussed, and the consent is, if a first hesitant, enthusiastic. [Safe, Sane, and Consensual (SSC), Risk-aware, Consensual, Kink (RaCK): A++]
Beautiful-dirty-sexy-sweet. Hits a lot of kinks and still has that same sense of underlying vulnerability and the sense that it could all lead to something so much more. [...] this is MY FAVORITE Tony/Steve verse in the fandom. I've re-read it half a dozen times already and am still freaking out about it. I need this verse like oxygen....mmm.
- natalie22. AO3 bookmarks, 13 February 2013. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- slashersivi. AO3 bookmarks, 05 January 2013. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- plotbear. AO3 bookmarks, 28 December 2012. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- thunderkat. AO3 bookmarks, 26 December 2012. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- Cluegirl. AO3 bookmarks, 27 December 2012. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- SavioBriion. AO3 bookmarks, 08 December 2012. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- Tacket. AO3 bookmarks, 04 December 2012. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- Synesthene. AO3 bookmarks, 04 December 2012. (Accessed 10 March 2013)
- SakamotoItoe. AO3 bookmarks, 03 December 2012. (Accessed 10 March 2013)