|Tropes and genres
|in space AU
|Cyberpunk, Robot, Artificial Intelligence
|Earth AU, Spaceship, Science Fiction
|Related articles on Fanlore.
A space AU is an alternate universe where a source set on Earth is transported into space; works are often referred to as "[Fandom] in SPAAAAAAAAACE!" The trope can be a form of crackfic, but often includes surprisingly serious reinterpretations of the most earthbound of sources, particularly historical fiction written or set before space exploration. Spaceships are a staple, and cyberpunk trappings such as robots, cyborgs and AIs are often included.
- Many space AUs are also fusion AUs with a canon that takes place in space, such as Star Wars or Star Trek.
- Some space AUs are relatively hard science fiction, in which the space travel is limited to places where real-life humans already have been or could feasibly travel to. AUs in which characters are cast as NASA astronauts and either sent to orbiting space stations, the moon, or Mars are rather common. An example of this would be the Supernatural fic Dark Side of the Moon, starring Dean as an astronaut on the moon.
- Other space AUs are softer sci-fi, taking place in the deeper reaches of space, or including technology or beings that cannot be explained with actual science. This is common in fusions with settings which are canonically soft sci-fi or science fantasy, such as Star Wars.
- Aliens are a common feature of the space AU. These aliens may be OCs, or canon characters turned into aliens.
- Hamlet: Rosemary for Remembrance, by Gehayi
- Hanson: Moonbop by Kayla and Sisyphus Rising by Aeryn, a Firefly fusion
- Jeeves & Wooster: The Woosteriad, by silverr. Crossover with Greek myth
- Little House on the Prairie: Little Settlement on the Moon, by Rina
- Little Women: Beth Finds the Palace Beautiful, by Snacky
- Macbeth: The Captain of the Caledonia, by Zdenka
- Marvel Ultimates: Catch a Falling Star, by tsukinofaerii, written for the Cap/Iron Man Big Bang 2012.
- Merlin (BBC): Sky Full of Stars by Suaine. A Merlin/Arthur Science Fiction AU where Merlin is a powerful technopath, but that's not all he is - he's also Gaius' dogsbody and Arthur's maid/servant/clerk. Living on board the Camelot means constant vigilance because Lord-Captain Pendragon hates nothing more than the gifted. (2009)
- Popslash: The Legend (book 2) by Whitney Richter. Epic gen BSB/NSync SF crossover in space. Summary: Two tattered worlds. A legend long forgotten. A galaxy on the verge of annihilation. A group of unlikely heroes who never asked for the task that fate has bestowed upon them… These ten alone are the only ones who can save their worlds, but to do so they must embark on a journey of peril and hardship that will take them across the stars and test their faith in themselves and everything they have ever believed in. All they know is that they must survive to fight the ultimate battle of good against evil, for if they do not triumph all will be lost.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: To the Stars, by Hieronym. Magical girl powers still exist, and it heavily influences the worldbuilding.
cover of Sentinel in Space
- Alternate Universe - Space tag at AO3