|Dates:||May 27-20, 2011|
|URL:||MediaWest*Con 31, Archived version|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Some Facts About the 2011 Convention
- The theme that year was "31 Flavors of Fandom."
- The convention offered much of its usual fare – panels and workshops (Friday through Monday), an art show, a costume contest, a fanzine reading room, a songvid contest, role playing and a dealer’s room. Door decorations prizes were also given.
- An ice cream social was also held on Sunday in honor of the 2011 convention theme.
- The program guide lists only 9 zines as premiering (although some zines may have been left off the program guide).
Photos and Videos
- some photos are here at the unofficial MediaWest*Con Facebook page
- Brief videos were posted showing the registration area with flyers posted on the entrance doors, flyers posted in the elevator, and hallways.
Fan Q Awards
For specifics, see 2011 Fan Q Awards.
Some plans, from a progress report:
"Gordon has been inspired to write a parody of Star Trek 11 (i.e. reboot) with music from Grease! Volunteers are still needed for roles, as well as musical accompaniment and stage ninjas. Contact Gordon. As it is a musical, most parts involve singing, though some more than others. We need a CHORUS of at least 3 people, who appear as various characters at various times (Vulcans, Cadets, Romulans, etc.) and back up the other cast members. Cast: Roberto Orci, JJ Abrams, Alex Kurtzman, Jimmy Kirk, Spock (his younger self), Nero, Spock 1 (his older self), Cadet Uhura, Capt. Christopher Pike, Cadet McCoy, Cadet Sulu, Scotty. Assistance with costuming is also welcomed. So if you can lend such things or can make such things quickly and cheaply, we want to hear from you! Be there or be square!"
It appears this skit was not presented.
Party Suite and Other Gatherings
- FRIDAY, May 27 2:00 – 4:00 PM:
- Afternoon Tea (LOTR) - Mrs. Underhill & Danny
SATURDAY, May 28:
- 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM - Informal Shabbat Service and Pot-luck Lunch (dairy/vegie)- Peter Cooper
- 1:00 – 3:00 PM The Professionals Party - Sally Hadden
- 3:00 – 5:00 PM Fannish Bake Sale to Fight Cancer - Chat Noir and Ctrimonkee
SUNDAY, May 29:
- 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM - Brunch with the Strachey-Callahans (Donald Strachey Mysteries Party) – adult -Candy Apple
- 1:00 – 3:00 PM Magnificent 7 Writer's Luncheon (slash friendly) – Laramee 3:00 – 5 PM 31
- Flavors of Fandom Ice Cream Social – MediaWest*Con 31 7:00 – 9:00 PM
- The Nag’s Party – horse fun - Dawn McLevy
- Best In Show, Best Original Design - Who's Got the Phone Box? -- Sam Powell, Nikki Wegrzyn, Victoria Gold, Devon Burke
- 2 for 1 Special -Angels & Daleks, Oh My! -- Sam Powell, Nikki Wegrzyn
- Best Recreation - Ciel Phantomhive -- Courtny Kraft
- Green Eggs & Ham Award: It's Not Easy Being Green -- Peter Cooper
- Best Presentation & Poetry in Motion: Muse -- Kelly Kitsune Neko/Kelly J.A. Lowrey
- Most Athletic: The 42nd Phantom: Phantom Girl--Amanda Morgan
Door Decoration Awards
Door Decoration Gallery
Media West 2011, Doctor Who memorial door - in memory of the Doctor Who actors who died since last year
Media West 2011, Supernatural themed door based on the episode Changing Channels
Door decoration based on the conventions "31 Flavors of Fandom" theme. Photo by cannellfan.
Art Show Awards
The art show winners are selected by popular vote
- Best Science Fiction: Dr. Mew by Karen River
- Best Fantasy: Heart of the Dragon by Scott Rosema
- Best Detective: The Three Patch Problem by Kate Nuernberg
- Best Secret Agent: Rule #... by Montana
- Best Animation: Cookies by MIke Cole
- Best Humor: Cook 'Em Danno by Leah Rosenthal
- Best 3-D: Travelling Buddies by Suzy Rosema
- Best Fabric: Fandom Quilt* by Seth Cutts & Gail Felipe
- Best Western: Waco Kid by Mike Cole
- Best Horror: Don't Open by Montana
- Best Portrait: Man Candy by Suzy Rosema
- Best Personal Favorite: Hello World by Karen River
- Best Too Cute to Live: Hello World by Karen River
- Fandom Quilt key: 1. Happy Feet, 2. Primeval, 3. Hawaii 5-0, 4. Haven, 5. Highlander, 7. Sherlock Holmes (Downey), 7. The Red Green Show, 8. The Magnificent 7, 9. The Cape
- 1st Place: Kelly Lowrey
- 2nd Place: Tom Cason
- 3rd Place: Keith Grunenwald
Vid ShowIn his 2011 convention report canellfan describes the entries for the year:
Regarding the awards for that year, also from canellfan:Producers were not required to identify what category their videos were being submitted in. The standard MediaWest*Con categories are: Song Interpretation - Single Source; Song Interpretation - Multi-Source, Humorous, Original (made mainly from home-made footage), Constructed Reality (in which a story is told with the footage, which was never there in the original context of the footage). There were no "Original" or "Constructed Reality" vids in this year's show."
Please note that two new categories were added this year -- Best in Show allowed for all voters to vote for what they believed to be the overall best video across all categories. Producers' Choice allowed all contributing producers for the year to select the video they believe to be the best overall video across all categories." 
A fan, bradygirl, commented about the vid show:
"..... we sat together at the videos, which was experiencing technical difficulties. They were resolved and we saw some good stuff. In the multi-fandom vid the shot of Clark getting ready for the prom and Lex fixing his tie was used. Aww! Also one shot of Steve and Danny from Hawaii Five-0. I was surprised we saw no vids featuring this hot new couple. Ah, well. My favorite fandoms rarely get vids, but there are endless Supernaturals, The Professionals, and The Sentinel, all good shows that I don’t watch. ;) You haven’t lived until you’ve watched a vid and a whole roomful of slash fans sing along to The Partridge Family’sI Think I Love You! ;)"
Vid Show Submissions and Awards
2011 MWC Fannish Music Video Competition Entries
- California Crew
- Chewing Gum for the Eyes
- Hold On, I'm Comin' Multi (female action heroes) (Second place winner: Song Interpretaton – Multi-Source)
- The War at Home Supernatural (First place winner: Song Interpretation – Single Source)
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun The Trouble With Angels
- Real World Supernatural
- Bleed It Out Generation Kill
- This Cat's on a Hot Tin Roof Indiana Jones
- Infinite Fandom Productions
- Turn, Turn, Turn Starsky & Hutch
- SiDiC Music Videos
- credits credits
- Some of My Old Friends Multi (Stephen J. Cannell tribute) (Special recognition Special Recognition Song Interpretation – Multi-Source)
- The Facts of Life Theme The Walking Dead (Special recognition Special Recognition Song Interpretation – Multi-Source)
- Canellfan reports: "These two videos received enough votes in the "Original" category to come in First and Second place, however they were not "Original" videos – those are videos made primarily of original, home-filmed footage. In recognition of the attention they received, it seemed fair to acknowledge them with "Honorable Mentions" in the Song Interpretation – Multi-Source in which they were intended to be judged."
- Time Passages Multi (The Annual Tribute Video)
- Spaced Ponies
- credits credits
- All Star The Big Bang Theory (First place winner Humorous)
- Bad, Bad Leroy Brown Human Target
- When You're Evil Multi (Third place winner Humorous)
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire White Collar
- 30 Minutes Multi Sherlock Holmes sources (First place winner: Song Interpretaton – Multi-Source)
- A Whole New World Doctor Who (Second place winner: Song Interpretation – Single Source)
- Spirit Guide Productions
- Red-Headed Woman Sentinel
- I'm a Writer, Not a Fighter Castle (Second place winner Humorous)
- Bad Day Sentinel
- Little Tree Productions
- I Do Donald Strachey Mysteries
- Here I Am Donald Strachey Mysteries
- That's Where It Is Donald Strachey Mysteries
- The Life of the Stracheys Donald Strachey Mysteries
- California Crew – Soulless Minion of Orthodoxy
- There Right There Torchwood (First place winner Song Interpretation – Single Source)/(First place winner Humorous)
- Chewing Gum for the Eyes
- I Think I Love You Supernatural (Second place winner Song Interpretation – Single Source)/(Second place winner Humorous)
- Cosmic Stallion
- You Make Me Feel So Young Multi (Honorable Mention Song Interpretation – Multi-Source)
- Infinite Fandom Productions
- Me and My Shadow Stargate Atlantis (Third place winner Humorous)
- Falling On Starsky and Hutch
- Smile Starsky and Hutch (Third place winner Song Interpretation – Single Source)
- Say It With Love The Professionals
- In the Air Tonight Professionals
- Spirit Guide Productions
- Gotta Be Somebody Sentinel
- Spaced Ponies
- SiDiC Music Videos
- Chewing Gum for the Eyes
- Honorable Mention - Chewing Gum for the Eyes
Best in Show
- There! Right There! (Torchwood) – Soulless Minion of Orthodoxy (California Crew)
- There! Right There! (Torchwood) – Soulless Minion of Orthodoxy (Cal Crew)
- Benedict Cumberbatch: With a name like Cumberbatch, he has to be good!
- Christian Bale: Let‘s discuss his Oscar-winning role in The Fighter as well as his other films.
- Jensen Ackles: Let‘s drool over, er, discuss this talented actor.
- John Barrowman: The latest adventures of the remarkable Mr. Barrowman.
- Life with the Frys: A talk about Stephen and Mrs. Fry.
- Mark Sheppard: Mr. Everywhere!
- The Everyman Actor: Which actors do you think can do it all – and do it well? (aka Nathan Fillion, etc.) Your chance to introduce other fans to hidden gems
- A History of Fan Fiction: When was the first fanfic written anyway?
- Are TPTB too involved with the fans?
- Asexuality and Fandom: How does the current trend in media portrayals of asexuals change things.
- Canonically gay vs. slash: Which do you find more fulfilling and why? (/)
- Comic Con: Both San Diego and NYC. Share your tips for surviving these incredibly huge events, plus share your tales.
- Crossing the Line: Can A Hero Break, Spindle, or Mutilate the Law to get a Criminal?
- Crossovers: Discuss crossover combos and making them work logically and when the oddest combos work in surprising ways.
- Fandom: Has technology like the Internet (Facebook, LJ, Twitter) & mobile devices (cell phones, IPads, E-Book readers) had an adverse effect on fandom? Lower con attendance? Fewer fan publications and art?
- Femmeslash: General discussion of the Genre.(/)
- Hawaii 5-O, Romance vs. Bromance of Danno and Steve: Bring the peaceful discussion.
- He‟s not dead, Jim! Bringing a beloved character back after TPTB have killed them off.
- Historical Accuracy: How much do you care if they get it right? If they get it wrong, does it spoil your enjoyment of the project?
- Is printed matter on the way out? Do you prefer a real book or a Kindle.
- Kink panel: This was so much fun last year, let‘s do it again! General Discussion of kink in fanfic. *adult Discussion.
- Magnificent 7 – Canon led to fanon? – or where did they get THAT idea? What story started which fanon idea?
- Magnificent 7 – Gen fic – Multiple AU's – Which Aus do the characters translate to well? Story recommendations and share plot bunnies.
- Magnificent 7 Fanfic: Gen, what‘s the appeal? Share favorite stories and sites, offer plot bunnies.
- Magnificent 7 Slash fic – general discussion. Favorite pairings, story recs, site recs – bring your favorites list.
- NCIS Fanfic Recs – bring your list of favorite NCIS fiction to share with others!
- No, you can‟t reattach his head with a stapler. Medical accuracy in fanfic.
- Open Writing: Bring a notebook and pen, or laptop, and write for a full hour.
- Over 40 and still into fandom: Why we‘re still in fandom and we have no plans of leaving.
- Professionals and Hurt/Comfort. What is it about the lads that just invites h/c, in both canon and fanon.
- Pros: What Clinches It for Me. What moments in the show convinced you that Bodie and Doyle were truly together? (/)
- Remembering Stephen J. Cannell - 1941-2010: A look back at Cannell's 40+ television series and nearly 20 novels.
- Secret Agents and Slash. Pros, UNCLE, I Spy, why do so many classic secret agent and espionage shows lend themselves to slash? (/)
- Sentinel: The future in fic – What‘s left to explore?
- Sherlock Holmes (BBC) H/C Recs: sharing your favorite Sherlock H/C fanfics from the BBC series.
- Slash Authors: What role does feedback play in your writing? How important is it? (/)
- Stargate Atlantis H/C Recs: Bring your list of favorite stories this year and share with others.
- Stargate Atlantis: McShep – now that they‘re back on Earth, how will the relationship develop? (/)
- Stargate Rare Pairings: Mitchell and Miko, Ronon and Dusty, McKay and Abby (NCIS).
- Supernatural H/C Recs: sharing your favorite Supernatural H/C fanfics.
- Television as Therapist: Have you ever used a movie, show or character to work out your psychological issues vicariously?
- The Disappearance of Mankind‟s Desire to Explore has Vanished: … has the human race become so tranquilized by modern television writing that we don‘t want to go anywhere except our armchairs.
- The Man from UNCLE – How`, and will, a feature film change the fandom?
- Threesomes=OT3s: Let‘s talk about our favorite OT3s and writing them! (/)
- Trauma in Fanfiction: How real do you want it to be?
- TV Shows on DVD - Has your favorite series still not come out on DVD. Come discuss cult classics that haven't been released commercially.
- What is there a difference between shows that you just like to watch and those that you also enjoy the fandom?
- Why is hurt/comfort so important in your stories?
- Writer‟s Block: Reasons why you stall out on a story, and the means to banish that block and finish your fic.
- 3-D Movies: Are they are good or bad thing?
- Comics into movies: Which films succeed, which fail miserably, and should Hollywood create NEW superheroes instead?
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part I: Did breaking up the book into two films work?
- Hobbit Movies: What‘s happening?
- Legion: Sancte Michaelango, protect us.
- Lord of the Rings: Elijah Wood turned 30 in January; what are he and the other LOTR actors up to now? B
- Love Never Dies - Genius or Abomination? Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom of the Opera" sequel.
- Man from UNCLE, The: Discussion about the upcoming feature film.
- Movie Guilty Pleasures. A panel about the lesser known movies out there. Little known Sci-Fi and Fantasy films, new and old. May also include Foreign and Art House movies to look for. Also, gems from Netflix. Bring your suggestions.
- Movie Remakes and Reboots. What worked and what didn‘t.
- Star Trek (2012): The latest news and production developments about the second film in the reboot series.
- Superheroes. Discuss the latest crop of films on Green Lantern, Batman, Spiderman and more.
- Twilight: Aimed toward teenagers, do adults like to watch the franchise?
- We‟re all doomed! Discuss your favorite end-of-the-world movies, from the old B&W days up to the latest.
- Why I prefer one-dimensional characters, or, the incredible allure of the animated movie (How to Train Your Dragon, MegaMind, etc.) over live-action films. Is it the animation, or just better writing?
- Andre Norton: Yup! Found a new site with downloadable old material.
- Black Stallion: There's a new book coming out. And the change in the series.
- British Naval Fiction: Age of Sail Patrick O‘Brian, C.S. Forester, Dudley Pope, Alexander Kent, etc.
- Comic Books: What are you reading, what are your favorite finds, both indie and mainstream.
- Favorite Childhood Books: What's out of print, what's been reissued, what should we all track down?
- Horse Fiction: Discussion of the old and new.
- Jim Butcher's THE DRESDEN FILES: How is the novel series doing after "killing off" its main character?
- M/M Genre Fiction Recs:. Let‘s share our favorite original fantasy/sci-fi, mystery, romance, whatever, writers and stories; please include where-to-find if possible.
- Pern: A serious discussion about the series.
- Pern: The latest book, DragonGirl.
- Romance Novels: Favorite titles and authors.
- Sime~Gen universe by Jacqueline Lichtenberg & Jean Lorrah
- EXO: Planets and the search for new worlds
- NASA: What‟s next?
- 24: What kind of day is Jack Bauer currently having?
- A&E‟s Hoarders: Is this show about hoarding entertaining, or do you think you could be a candidate for the series?
- Amazing Race: Revisiting seasons 17 and 18 (Unfinished Business)
- Are the networks killing themselves? Half-year hiatuses, constant time-shifting. Is your show a victim of these practices and does it kill your enthusiasm to even watch?
- Being Human (SyFy Channel): Are Aidan & Bishop just another Nick Knight & Lacroix?
- Big Bang Theory: More pals for Penny; having introduced Sheldon to non-geek friendship, how‘s it going with Amy Farrah Fowler?
- Boardwalk Empire: General discussion (Steve Buscemi love god?)
- Bones: Discuss the latest season.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Being of Sound Mind and Body. Even if you don't accept the S8 comics as canon, what do you think of the last will and testament of one Rupert Edmund Giles?
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Rupert Giles, R.I.P. Joss Whedon brutally offed Giles at the conclusion of the S8 comics, the bastard. Come celebrate the life of the greatest Watcher who ever lived.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Who Needed Who. There is no question that Buffy needed Giles. But what about Giles? Was Buffy Giles' redemption?
- Burn Notice: General discussion of the latest season.
- Cape, The: How many sources can we identify? Batman, sure, but then?
- Caprica: Unnecessary addition to the Galactica canon, or a fascinating look at the days before Apollo, Starbuck and Boomer?
- Cartoon Network: What‘s good on this channel? Share your favorites?
- Castle: General discussion of the latest season. A020, Sat, Univ 1, 12:00 PM
- Castle: It‘s been long enough. Can‘t they get together and be like Nick and Nora?
- Castle: Relationship progression - Are you satisfied with how the relationship between Beckett and Castle as progressed?
- Chuck: General discussion of the latest season.
- Cooking shows: Cake Wars, etc. Which is your favorite reality show dealing with food.
- Criminal Minds: Has the show survived the cast changes?
- Criminal Minds: What the heck has happened to our show? Compare earlier seasons with the past two years.
- CSI, the franchise: The series spawned a revolution on TV with procedural crime shows, but does it still have it? Discussion/dissection of all three CSIs.
- Dirty Jobs: Can't get enough of Mike Rowe? Come discuss the most recent new episodes and tell us about your favorites!
- Doctor Who: A look back at the 11th Doctor‘s first season – what did you think of Matt Smith?
- Doctor Who: Toasting the Brigadier and Sarah Jane. Remembering Nicholas Courtney and Elisabeth Sladen.
- Donald Strachey Mysteries: A general discussion of the movie series (/)
- Donald Strachey Mysteries: What do you think Donald‘s and Timmy‘s childhoods were like? (/)
- Donald Strachey Mysteries: Why do you think Timothy really left the seminary? (/)
- Dual Survival: Dave the Hunter/Code the Hippie Housewife (/)
- Emergency!: Johnny and Roy. Why is this series still entertaining after all these years?
- Eureka: Is the alternate universe change working for you?
- Event, The: How is the series progressing, and where the heck is it on NBC?
- Fairly Legal: A light piece of fluff, or are you tuning in for just Richard Dean Anderson‘s guest spots?
- Fannish/Canon OCs .. Yes! They can be Awesome and No, they should not all be branded as Mary Sue or Gary Stu.
- Firefly returns? This cult favorite returns to basic cable. Can it revive the fandom?
- Forget the show, I like the commercials! Sometimes the commercials are more fun than the show you‘re watching. Share your favorites.
- Fringe: Peter and Olivia, alternate universes, is a fan-dream come true?
- Game of Thrones: Did this HBO miniseries do justice to the George RR Martin‘s novels?
- Ghost Hunters: General discussion of this SyFy series. A056, Sat, Univ 4, 12:00 PM
- Ghost Hunting: You‘ve seen the shows, now learn to do it yourself, or share ideas.
- Glee: Fellow Gleeks, celebrate the show!
- God on TV: Is prime time setting a good example? A
- Gone too soon? Which shows were bad ideas, bad execution or bad casting? A059,
- Harry's Law: Quirky Kelley, or a little less? Not as much as Ally or Boston Legal, not as serious as The Practice. Do we like it?
- Haven: has it done justice to the original Stephen King novel The Colorado Kid?
- Hawaii Five-O: A look back at the history of this venerable franchise, from exotic police procedural to hunky cops in the tropics.
- Hawaii Five-O: Book 'em, Danno. What works in this new remake, what doesn‘t?
- House and Cuddy? Has this relationship strengthened the show, or made it jump the shark?
- Human Target: Okay, Guerrero is on the good guys‘ side, but is his constant killing of people with bombs, etc. a bit unnerving?
- Infested!, Fatal Attractions & Monsters Inside Me: What‘s so fascinating about such icky topics on TV shows, and which segments were your favorites?
- Laramie: Why is this show still gaining fans after all these years.
- Law & Order: How are the Los Angeles and London spin-offs compared to New York City? And what about SVU and CI?
- Leverage: Great writing, great plots, great characters. Slick and smartly presented. Why is it the best ensemble cast on telly (or not!).
- Leverage: The Con is On! How did season three stack up to the first two? Where to now?
- Magnificent Seven Crossovers.
- Magnificent Seven: What is it with the scruffy bunch that keeps us coming back for more?
- Medium: Discuss the end of this series.
- Medium: They killed Joe! The BASTARDS! How does this affect syndication, DVD sales and the universe?
- Mentalist, The: Will Patrick ever catch his nemesis?
- Merlin: General discussion of this SyFy series.
- NCIS: A general discussion of the latest season.
- NCIS: What do you think caused this show to become #1; did something change?
- NCIS-Los Angeles: Does the Spin-off work? A
- Pro Wrestling: WWE, TNA, ECW, WCW, NXT and the talented men & women behind the initials.
- Professionals, The: Fandom overview, general discussion, on fanfic, zines, and more.
- Professionals, The: Hurts So Good. What's your favorite hurt/comfort story? (/)
- Professionals, The: When Bodie Met Doyle. Was it love at first sight or did sparks fly? How did the lads go from strangers to the close-knit pair we first saw. (/)
- Professionals: Secret Agents or Secret Police. Are Bodie and Doyle really the good guys?
- Quirky characters or psychopaths and sociopaths? How far is too far? (Parker, Eliot, Dexter, etc.).
- Remember WENN: General Discussion of the series.
- Royal Pains: General discussion of this series.
- Science Fiction on TV: Is there any really good sci-fi left, or is Sharktopus the vision of the future?
- Sentinel, The: What was the first moment that screamed ―slash‖ to you? (/)
- Sherlock (BBC series): General discussion.
- Sherlock (BBC): Welcome to the 21st Century, Mr. Holmes. Was Sherlock made to live in the information age? (/)
- Sherlock (BBC/PBS Mystery): It was like the miniseries was written just for us! What pushed your buttons about the modern day reboot of the world's greatest detective?
- Sherlock Holmes: An enduring legend. From Conan Doyle through Rathbone and Brett to Downey and Cumberbatch – why Sherlock Holmes still captivates us.
- Sherlock: Autistic, sociopathic, or just rude?
- Sixties War Series: What are your favorites, and what keeps you in the fandom?
- Smallville: Discuss the series finale. Did it do justice to the whole series?
- Sons of Anarchy: Was the last season a wild ride or total crap?
- Spartacus-Gods of the Arena: Great historical romp, or do you just watch it for the not very-clad guys?
- Stargate Atlantis: the paperback novels. Do they make up for the lack of the series, and what do you think of the six part ―Legacy‖ series?
- Stargate Atlantis: What are the cast up to nowadays? One word: SyFy!
- Stargate Universe: Not your usual Stargate. Was that the problem?
- Stargate: Where does the future of this franchise lie? Is there any hope for movies?
- Starsky & Hutch and The Professionals: Cultural examination of the two countries and similarities and differences on how they presented their crime fighters to the viewers.
- Starsky & Hutch: A love story – what are the slashiest moments in the series? (/)
- Starsky & Hutch: Fandom overview, general discussion, on fanfic, zines, and more.
- Starsky & Hutch: The first time – hearts and flowers – or hot and heavy? (/)
- Supernatural: A positive discussion about season six.
- Supernatural: How much and in what awys have Sam and Dean changed from the beginning of season one or the end of season six?
- Supernatural: Season 6 – Titanic, meet iceberg (or, the season Becky would have written).
- Supernatural: Who are you and what have you done with the real Castiel?
- Supernatural: Who is your favorite character and why. A135, Fri, Ball B, 1:00 PM
- Supernatural: Why haven‘t monsters/demons/etc. taken over the world? Because a rock could out think them.
- SyFy movies: Tacky, trashy but a guilty pleasure. Discuss the best and the worst you‘ve seen.
- Things That Go Bump in the Night: Urban Fantasy from the Dresden Files to Supernatural. Come and talk about your favorite shows and authors in this increasingly popular genre.
- Tin Man: General Discussion of the Sci Fi Miniseries.
- Top Gear UK: Do you watch for the cars or the hosts?
- Torchwood: Miracle Day (aka The New World). Rebooting the franchise or flogging a dead horse?
- What do you look for in a TV series?
- What Would Emma Pillsbury Wear: Admiring (and shopping!) the fashion of Glee.
- White Collar: How has the relationship between Peter and Neal changed this season?
- White Collar: Is there room for non-slash fans in the White Collar fan base? If so, where are the rest of you?
- Worst Series Finales of All Times: How much does it matter to your memories of the show?
- Gaming 101: Share your knowledge of the latest games with your fellow gamers.
- Whose Line is it Anyway - Live 2-hour Improv - Featuring audience participation and suggestions.
- World of Warcraft: Not just for college kids out to trash their GPAs! How to have fun with WoW and still have a life.
- Basic Ebook Conversion for Fan-fiction: Tips and tricks on getting your fic ready to convert to eReader formats, programs to use, archives and downloaders that may do it for you.
- Choosing an EReader - With so many readers out there let us help you choose the right one for you. Or at least narrow down your choices.
- Facebook: Pros and cons. Do you use it for family, or your fannish friends, or both? And just how do you deny a friend request without hurting feelings?
- Has the digital revolution hurt or helped your fandom? Did you start collecting your fandom on audio cassettes in the 70‘s and discover VHS in the 80‘s, next came DVD and now Blu-Ray. With streaming becoming the main new main stay will you be able to collect shows or movies? What about the choices the new technology gives us, like or dislike?
- Live Journal Prompting and fic fest communities: These have gotten really popular in the last couple years. Let‘s talk about our favorites and share some you frequent!
- OMG did you RT that? Or, do you use Twitter and what‘s good about it, what‘s just awful.
- Roleplaying on Live Journal with Fannish OCs (or canon characters): Do you play? What games, characters do you play? Let‘s discuss.
- There's an App for That: Talk up your favorite and/or fandom apps
- Vidding - Discussion of Last Night's [Friday] Vid Premieres
- When is technology TOO much?
- Advanced Ebook Conversion & Mgmt: Indepth look at preparing & converting fanfiction for ereaders, & the Calibre ebook mgmt program. Open to PC, Mac, & Linux users
- Holy Mother Grammatica: A funny thing happened on my way to a sentence? What‘s the funniest thing you (or someone else) never meant to write?
- How to Write a Better Story
- Stitch and Bitch
From the program book:
Co-Chairs (& your hosts) Lori Chapek-Carleton & Gordon Carleton would like to thank the following staffers and assistants for all their hard work: Carol Lynn (Hotel Liaison), Elyse Dickenson & Dawn McLevy (Programming/Party Suite/Flyers), Jeanne Sullivan (GoFers/Con Suite), Keith Grunenwald & Seth Cutts (Security), Jan Gosnell (‘Zine Reading Room/Fan Fund Auction), Karen Klinck & Art Show/Auction Staff & Auctioneers, Jan Keeler (Fan Q), Andre Lieven (Masquerade), Debra & Anna Barber (Dealers), Sheryl Adsit (Fannish Video), Kim Dyer (Blood Drive), Margaret Basta (Orphan ‘Zines), Carl Tielking (Lansing Liaison), and all the GoFers and volunteers without whom there could be no convention. Thanks also to Alem for running the Door Decorating Competition.
- cannellfan's MediaWest*Con 2011...getting the ball rolling!, dated Feb 21, 2011 (Archive) and prepping for MediaWest*Con, dated May 25, 2011 (Archive)
- Back From MediaWestCon by Tenaya, dated June 1, 2011 (Archive)
- MediaWest*Con 31 -- Day 1 (Archive),MediaWest*Con 31 -- Day 2 (Archive), and MediaWest*Con 31 -- Day 3, dated May 27-29 2011 (Archive)
- bradygirl-12's Media West* Con 2011, Archived version dated May 31, 2011
- przed's MediaWest 2011, dated June 1, 2011 (Archive)
- Back From MediaWest, dated June 1, 2011 (Archive)
- MediaWest Con 31 Report! dated June 3, 2011
- MediaWest*Con 2011: Donuts and URKs, oh my!; Door Decorations dated June 4, 2011
- MediaWest*Con 2011: Links to fan accounts dated June 5, 2011
- MediaWest*Con 31 Trip Report, dated June 5, 2011
- MediaWest 2011 - Convention Report dated June 10, 2011 
- MediaWest*Con 31 dated June 29, 2011
"I went to MWC a few years ago. I wanted to make it one of my regulars, but I had the usual string of things right after that......At the time, I didn't drive, so the location meant a prohibitively expensive plane flight for me and then the need to bum rides off of strangers. Combine the 3x transportation cost compared to other cons I go to with the room lottery, and it was a very tough sell. It took me a few years to make it there, and I will never be able to convince local friends to go with me.
On the up side, the year I went I showed like 45 minutes of my vids because the vid contest had gotten so small, and the ability to bore... err...entertain a captive audience like that was very attractive and would be worth another trip if I could make it again. OTOH, I did find it a little daunting to have to figure out to ask the front desk to call the vid coordinator's room so I could ask her her room number and turn in my physical DVD. (As a side note, that was the first DVD I'd ever burned, and I had to buy an external drive to do so. I completely understand the technical limitations afflicting the con, but I think this would be a somewhat significant hurdle for other younger/newer vidders too.) The lack of signage meant that some people missed that there were vids at all. On Sunday, somebody wandered in, sad that she'd missed them, so I tried to show her the DVDs that were still around. (One group had already come to collect theirs.) We got SCREAMED at because it wasn't fair to show some videos more times than others because it's a contest. (Uncharitable assumptions and unwelcoming behavior were pretty much constant in my MWC experience.)
The door decoration thing is really cool. It was a big selling point for me. I just wish it were a thing at the other tiny cons I attend, but I don't think they have the numbers to talk a hotel into it. It sounds like the heydey of door decoration is long gone at MWC though.
The other really attractive thing to me was that MWC isn't specifically a slash con. I prefer cons that are focused on fan art/fanfic/vids/etc. but that aren't slash-specific. Unfortunately, the various slash cons or slash cons "+other stuff welcome too" cons fill my needs better than MWC did.
I've heard from a number of people that this was a big part of them not attending anymore. The way the vid contest rules are written up on the website is actively homophobic-sounding to me, and the separation of "slash" and "gen" vids is itself actively homophobic in the eyes of many vidders I've talked to. My personal problem with it isn't so much the homophobia as the problem that I heavily ship m/m/f threesomes these days, and they don't fit in any of the vid categories. For panels, I have the same problem: I have zero interest in a "gen" or a "slash" panel on Avengers (just to pick an example). While I'm sure plenty of panels veer off topic, I mostly avoided them the time I attended the con because I'd been warned that people can be cranky and unfriendly when you do so. (Whether or not this is true, it was the universal warning I received.)When I had more money, MWC was worth it for me, especially from a history perspective, but it's hard to justify the huge transportation costs right now."
- WebCite for the 2011 Masquerade Winners.
- WebCite for the 2011 Door Decoration Winners.
- WebCite for the 2011 Art Show Winners.
- cannellfan's blog entry.
- cannellfan's blog entry.
- Media West* Con 2011, Archived version
- WebCite for the 2011 Vid Show Winners
- savestracheys's WebCite.
- wraithfodder's WebCite 1; WebCite 2
- reference link.
- reference link.
- reference link.
- reference link.
- Franzi Dickenson's post to Zinelist on May 26, 2015, quoted with permission.