Phantom of the Opera
|Name:||The Phantom of the Opera|
|Date(s):||1909/10 (serialized novel), 1925 (silent film), 1986 (Webber musical)|
|Medium:||book, radio, plays, tv, film, comic, musicals|
|Country of Origin:||France, many others|
|External Links:||Wikipedia on the book, Wikipedia on adaptations, Wikipedia on the 1925 silent film, Wikipedia on the Webber musical, Wikipedia on Phantom novel|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Phantom of the Opera is a French novel, Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, which also has been adapted many, many times in different media, i.e. for radio, theatre, musicals, television, film, comics as well as rewritten and expanded in other book versions. Well known among these are the 1925 film, Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical version from 1986, and Susan Kay's novel Phantom from 1990.
Some other fandoms have published crossovers with Phantom of the Opera, for example Batman, in Batman: Masque (1997) by Mike Grell, also The Simpsons in several episodes feature the Phantom. The MacGyver episode Cleo Rocks is pretty much a fusion, with Murdoc as the Phantom. In particular in comic-form crossovers and fusions are popular, so that there are, besides plain adaptations, several crosses, e.g. Tarzan/Phantom of the Opera comic, also a Sherlock Holmes/Phantom of the Opera comic (there are also novel crossovers), a fusion with Donald Duck (The Phantom of Notre Duck, 1965) and so on. There is also a Discworld parody of it.
- PFN's Morbidity Contest
After the musical, and shortly after its adaptation movie in 2004, Phantom's fans began filling the Internet with Fanfic fluffy, giving almost forgotten other earlier versions.
While Gaston's original book: Erik's described as mentally unstable; in ALW's version he's totally out of character. Approximately in 2000* a user of Fanfiction.net known as "The Scorpion" (or "Siren of Averne") organized the first contest of morbid works to expand the dark and morbid works inside fandom.
Calling it: The Phantom of the Opera Morbidity Writing Contests
today are more than 1 contest Click to read their stories:
Besides being a great success also achieving his goal: to revive the interest of fans. Currently, The scorpion has disappeared from Ff.net; but still having morbidly contests. There also features a community called: Dark Phic full of other works also of the morbid gender
- The Mort Rouge Contest
- Erik/Christine (938)**
- Raoul/Christine (368)**
- Raoul/Erik (214)**
- Erik/The Persian | Nadir Khan (89)
- Erik/OFC (68)
- Erik/Meg (49)
- Christine/Raoul/Erik (42)
- Christine/Meg (37)
Archives and Communities
- The Fifth Cellar: Canon-inclusive Phantom of the Opera fanfiction, from Leroux on up.
- Down Once More: Erik and Christine fanfiction archive.
- Phantom of the Opera section of fanfiction.net (11.9K stories)
- Le Fantôme de l'Opéra | Phantom of the Opera & Related Fandoms tag at AO3 (1.4K works)
- Phantom of the Opera.com: site and discussion forums covering all versions of the Phantom of the Opera
- Michael Crawford International Fan Association
- Phantom Info - newsletter
- Phantom Notes (1988-1992) - newsletter, letterzine
- Beneath the Mask - newsletter
- Hard as Lightning, Soft as Candlelight
- Mask and Mirror
- Monsieur Gargoyle
- Nocturne with Variations
- Of Nights and Shadows
- Phantom Magazine
- Second Generation and Legacy of Love
- Silent Night, Lonely Night
- The Voice Unmasked
- When Angels Wept
- Phantom Reflections
- Above All Else (1997) (The Ghost and Mrs Muir, and Phantom of the Opera)
- Faded Roses (1989-1993) (Beauty and the Beast, Amadeus and Phantom of the Opera)
- Mask: Tales from the Underground (Beauty and the Beast, Phantom of the Opera)
- Rhapsody on Leroux
- Twists of Fate
Other Fan Activities
- Phantom of the Opera (Official international website)
- Wiki: The Phantom of the Opera (Wikipedia page)
- Relationship tag filter on Le Fantôme de l'Opéra | Phantom of the Opera & Related Fandoms, 14 December 2019.