|1989- (TV series); 2006 (film)
|animated series, Movie, Video Games
|Country of Origin:
|Subpages for The Simpsons:
The_Simpsons has no subpages to list.
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
The Simpsons is a long running animated TV show, spanning 32 seasons over as many years, and counting (As of Oct 2020). It revolves around the lives of a supposedly average American middle class household; Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.
Over the years, The Simpsons' cast grew from the original five family members into over a hundred unique characters, along with numerous cameos.
This article or section needs expansion.
Who doesn't have a favourite episode of the Simpsons?
The Simpsons fandom is simply huge. Having been aired in almost every country on the planet, and spanning almost thirty years, you would be hard pressed to find someone who can't quote their favourite line from an episode, forget someone who hasn't seen an episode.
A show with such an enormous cast is also heavily appreciated by fic writers, as every character has a backstory, and fic writers will gleefully fill in any blanks that the show doesn't explain. Apps like Simpsonize me also stoke the fandom's fire, because this means you can make your very own Simpsons character, and give them a backstory too!
A world famous show with a legacy fit for royalty, the Simpsons fandom won't be silenced any time soon.
With such a huge cast, there are almost limitless shipping combinations in The Simpsons. Canon pairings are common, with the typical Homer/Marge and similar ships. However, fanon pairings are also exceedingly popular, with both slash and femslash like Marge/Manjula featuring prominently.
- Homer Simpson is a vegetable in a coma, and has been for over 20 years.
- The Springfield Effect
- Everyone in the Simpsons family is a genius.
- Moleman is a different person every appearance.
- Bart Simpson: Attorney at Law - "Seventeen years in the future Bart simpson, now a successful Attorney in East Springfield. He has everything, and is happy. That is going to be challenged when some women reenter his life."
- Lisa Squared - The year is 2028. Lisa and her husband, Matt, are happy to hear of Maggie's engagement. Maggie and Bart go to Lisa's house in Capital City to discuss it. Bart pulls out an old photo album and they look through it. Matt notices a picture of Lisa's twin sister, Suzy, and is immediately curious. Bart convinces Lisa to tell the story.
- Lisa Fitzgerald - Lisa is the daughter of an abusive, alcoholic father. After attempting to commit suicide, Lisa is taken into care and fostered by The Simpson family and has to learn how to live again.
Among other things, the invention of the words 'do'h', 'meh' and 'cromulent' has been credited to The Simpsons.
'Spider Pig', one of the songs from the Simpsons Movie, had a huge cultural impact upon the film's release, with parodies and covers appearing world over.
Predicting the Future?
Occasionally, Simpsons episodes have been known to predict the future. Whether or not this is just sheer coincidence is unknown, however the sheer number and broad range of things the show has correctly predicted is simply staggering, with the impact ranging from surprising to downright creepy.
Some of these predictions include:
And perhaps scariest of all;
- The successful presidential campaign of Donald Trump
Archives and Fannish Links
- Simpsons works at FFN
- The Simpsons works at AO3
- The Simpsons fic recs at TV Tropes
- LardLad.com aka "The Last Exit to Springfield", a fansite
- rubbercat.net/simpsons, a fansite
- The Simpsons Gallery, another fansite that focuses on images
- FanForum's The Simpsons forum
- The Simpsons at Fanpop