The Big Bang Theory
|Name:||The Big Bang Theory|
|Creator:||Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady|
|Date(s):||September 24, 2007 (2007-09-24) – ongoing|
|Country of Origin:||U.S.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Big Bang Theory is an American sitcom with a small but active fanbase.
Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are two nerdy CalTech physicists who live across the hall from aspiring actress and current waitress Penny. Their only friends are equally nerdy physicist Raj Koothrapalli and Howard Wolowitz.
Supporting characters include Leslie Winkle, Sheldon's physics nemesis and Leonard's "friend with benefits". Leslie was actually a main character on the show for about half a season, but disappeared because the writers couldn't really think of anything to do with her besides hooking her up with various members of the cast. However, with the later addition of Bernadette Rostenkowski and Amy Farrah Fowler (in seasons three and four) the gender split of the cast has become more balanced (and femslash has actually become a possibility.)
Although the show ships Penny/Leonard, Penny/Sheldon is the most popular pairing among fans. Minor pairings include Sheldon/Leonard and Rajesh/Howard. Amy/Penny is also a minor pairing, but is the most frequent femslash pairing.
Wil Wheaton has made several guest appearances in episodes, playing an evil, jerky version of himself. He is one of Sheldon's arch-enemies.
- The Cheap Trick Acceleration by Liviapenn. A Sheldon & Penny friendship story with time travel written for Yuletide.
- The Wolowitz-Koothrappali Consummation by Victoria P. A Raj/Howard slash story.
- The Paladin Protocol by SpaceAnJL. Sheldon & Penny love story.
- Thebbtheory Livejournal community
- Paradox, a Sheldon/Penny shipping community
- Howard_Raj, a Howard/Raj shipping community
- Sheldon Cooper Quotes, a Sheldon Cooper community
- At one point Penny asks Leonard "What is Sheldon's deal?" and clarifies that she means his sexuality; Leonard replies that as far as any of Sheldon's friends know, "he has no deal." A later episode has Sheldon declaring that he is "quite aware of the way humans usually reproduce" but if he and his friend Amy were ever to have children, it would happen "in a lab with petri dishes."