Donald Strachey Mysteries
|Name:||The Donald Strachey Mysteries|
|Creator:||Richard Stevenson (books)|
Ron Oliver (films)
|Date(s):||(books) 1981 – 2023|
(films) 2005 – 2008
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||(wayback 20 Aug 2008 - 31 May 2013) www.donaldstracheymysteries.com|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Donald Strachey Mysteries technically refers to the movies produced by Ron Oliver, although the title is used by fans to collectively refer to the books by Richard Stevenson as well.
Background on both main characters is contradictory between the books and the movies; writers in the fandom often use a mix of both, or exclusively use movie canon.
Starting in 2005, Here TV started filming the Donald Strachey mysteries. Skipping Death Trick, they filmed the next four books in the series, but not in order. The books do stand alone, and so do the movies. Third Man Out, the fourth novel, was the first movie Here TV filmed. In 2006, they added Shock to the System. And in 2008 both Ice Blues and On the Other Hand, Death.
Books and other media
Donald Strachey Mysteries Book Series
- Death Trick (1981)
- On the Other Hand, Death (1984)
- Ice Blues (1986)
- Third Man Out (1992)
- Shock to the System (1995)
- Chain of Fools (1996)
- Strachey's Folly (1998)
- Tongue Tied (2003)
- Death Vows (2008)
- The 38 Million Dollar Smile (2009)
- Cockeyed (2010)
- Red White Black and Blue (2011)
- The Last Thing I Saw (2012)
- Why Stop at Vengeance (2015)
- WWW.Dropdead (2016)
- Killer Reunion (2019)
- Chasing Rembrandt (2023)
- Third Man Out (2005)
- Shock to the System (2006)
- On the Other Hand, Death (2008)
- Ice Blues (2008)
Brief Canon Overview
Donald Strachey is a gay man, living in Albany, New York. He is a private investigator, and his clients often feel that his sexual orientation makes him more sympathetic to cases involving the LGBT Community.
- Book canon: Donald was previously employed in Army Intelligence and then at the Robert Morgart Agency, a large investigation firm in New York city. He was also married, is now divorced, and at the start of the books, has been involved with Timothy J Callahan for three years, although they are not exclusive and have separate apartments. During the course of the books, they move in together and become more or less monogamous. Little is known about his family.
- Movie canon: Donald was once in the Army but was discharged when he and his lover, Kyle, were discovered. Kyle subsequently committed suicide, and both incidences continued to haunt Donald through the first two movies. Donald and Timmy are living together from the start and consider themselves married, wearing wedding bands on their right ring fingers.
Timothy Callahan is Donald's partner and a legislative aide to a New York state senator.
- Book canon:
- Movie canon: Timothy is estranged from his father because he "switched sides", from Republican to Democrat. His mother is still close, and sends him and Donald ugly sweaters at Christmas. Tim's sister, Kelly, was estranged from both parents and left home, and Timmy hadn't seen her or talked to her for years at the time of "Ice Blues".
- Handyman by NyteFlyer, Donald Strachey really hates summer in the city, and he really, really hates their new handyman. He does have a thing for cherry Popsicles, however.
- Crossed Wires by storyfan, the guys have only known each other a couple of weeks.
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night by megan moonlight, It was one of those cases Don would always remember, not only because of how did it end, but also because of how it started. Written for smallfandomfest Round 2
- Love Noir, a 2011-2012 zine with 2 issues
- Martinis by Moonlight, a zine anthology
- That's Why You Love Me, a print zine
Archives, Communities & Resources
- Donald Strachey search on FanFiction.Net
- Donald Strachey - Richard Stevenson tag at Archive of Our Own
- Donald Strachey Mysteries (Movies) tag at Archive of Our Own
- Donald Strachey Mysteries tag at crack van
- Timmy & Don - A - Thon!, a fan-athon community for Donald Strachey fan works (adult/slash)
- Albany's Finest ..., a fan community for stories and discussion (adult/slash)
- nick_n_nora's Journal, a community for fan works (adult/slash)
- donaldtimmy's Journal, a community for fan works (adult/slash)
- Save Donald Strachey Mysteries!, a fan community for vote to more Donald Strachey Mysteries taken to the screen
- http://members.aol.com/FansPage/index.html, a Richard Stevenson and DSM fansite(wayback 22 Jul 2001 - 17 Oct 2007)
- http://strachey-investigations.com/, a fansite devoted to DSM (wayback 4 Oct 2012 - 9 Aug 2015)
- "Home page of strachey-investigations.com - Fansite for Donald Strache…". Archived from the original on 2015-08-09.
- Bryan Spellman (2020-12-11). "Richard Stevenson's Donald Strachey Mysteries". Archived from the original on 2021-01-19.
- Katharine Q. Seelye (2022-03-30). "Richard Lipez, Who Reimagined the Gay Detective Novel, Dies at 83". New York Times. Archived from the original on 2022-03-30.
- RQTadmin (2023-01-18). "Two Gay PI Don Strachey Novels!". ReQueered Tales. Archived from the original on 2023-04-25.
- Kevin Burton Smith. "Detective: Don Strachey". Thrilling Detective. Archived from the original on 2001-02-26.