|Name:||The Doctor (alias John Smith) (Theta Sigma while in the Academy)|
|Title/Rank:||Former President of Gallifrey|
|Relationships:||Susan/Arkytior (granddaughter), Jenny (clone-daughter), half-human Doctor (regeneration half-clone half-Donna), friendships etc. with various companions, close relationship with The TARDIS|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Like all Timelords, he is very long-lived and has the power to regenerate himself into a different incarnation (with a different exterior and personality) when mortally injured.
The Doctor usually carries his "Sonic Screwdriver" with him, an item capable of doing many, many things that like the TARDIS has become iconic of the series (and beyond). In canon it is frequently used as a lockpick or some kind of fix-it device. (In fanfiction it has naturally repeatedly been used as a sex-toy.)
Although not human, The Doctor repeatedly shows that he cares about humanity and Earth, and likes saving Earth. Because of his immense power and actions he's taken of the course of his 900+ years of life, some of his incarnations show a certain type of emotional remoteness, others, angst.
In canon, The Doctor is shown to have several genetically related relatives during various incarnations, including his granddaughter Susan (First Doctor era), his clone-daughter Jenny (Tenth Doctor era), his half-human semi-clone (Tenth Doctor era), and several Gallifreyan relatives (various eras).
He forms friendships with his traveling companions (and with some humans and aliens he encounters but does not travel with), although he is not good at saying goodbye and sometimes abandons his companions and friendships in ways that seem cruel to them. (Leading to fix-it fics.)
Many classic fans have typically considered The Doctor to be asexual -- though some have always shipped the Doctor with certain companions or other characters. For example, pairing The Doctor/The Master in various incarnations has been popular since the 1980s due to the great enemyslash potential.
The New Who reboot of the series in 2005 started including more shippy vibes in canon, and brought an influx of new, pairing-focused fans into the fandom, who started writing a lot of het and slash fic pairing him with the new era companions.
Some fans also pair him with the TARDIS herself, especially in the wake of the season six episode The Doctor's Wife -- written by Neil Gaiman of Sandman fame -- which personifies the TARDIS temporarily in human form.
William Hartnell played the first Doctor from 1963 to 1966.
Notable First Doctor Era Fanworks
Patrick Troughton played the second Doctor from 1966 to 1969.
Has a bowtie and a recorder.
Usually paired with Jamie McCrimmon.
Notable Second Doctor Era Fanworks
Jon Pertwee played the third Doctor from 1970 to 1974.
Notable Third Doctor Era Fanworks
Tom Baker played the fourth Doctor from 1974 to 1981. The Fourth Doctor was the incarnation with The Scarf (which led to much fannish knitting). He probably inspired the quote "You never forget your first Doctor."
Loved jelly bellies. The Scarf.
Sometimes paired with Romana.
Notable Fourth Doctor Era Fanworks
Peter Davison played the fifth Doctor from 1981 to 1984.
Cricket-player's outfit. Fond of wearing a celery stalk as a bouttonière.
Notable Fifth Doctor Era Fanworks
Colin Baker played the sixth Doctor from 1984 to 1986.
Terrible fashion sense. The Gallifreyan Buccaneer.
Notable Sixth Doctor Era Fanworks
Sylvester McCoy played the seventh Doctor from 1987 to 1989.
Carried an umbrella with a question-mark handle.
Notable Seventh Doctor Era Fanworks
Paul McGann played the eighth doctor Doctor in a TV movie, aired in May of 1996. After that, Big Finish and various novels took the job of shaping his character.
The fandom thinks that Paul McGann never ages.
Notable Eighth Doctor Era Fanworks
Notable Ninth Doctor Era Fanworks
- 18 Seconds by Kate Bolin -- vignette.
- Relatives & Relativity by Yahtzee - fic. Gen crossover with Sense and Sensibility.
- Exile (link) by wolfling - vid. It's not that there's no place like home, it's that home is gone, and how he tries to make up for it.
- "But it’s not all doom, gloom, and approaching storm around Ten’s TARDIS. Far from it. Sure, he’s a little emo –- people just keep dying around him/leaving him! It’s enough to give a Time Lord a complex! – but regardless, Ten is clearly having one hell of a riotous good time. Whether it’s facing down volcanic aliens with a water pistol, smelling the applegrass of New Earth, opening the TARDIS with a fingersnap, or matching words with Will Shakespeare, this Doctor is appreciating every second." (Tenth Doctor Idol Reflection essay)
The manic Doctor. Also, according to some, "Emo kid." Skinny, wild hair, often wears a close-cut brown suit (or a blue one), and almost always Converse-type sneakers.
Saw the introduction of River Song in the widely admired episodes Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead.
The most popular pairing by far is Doctor/Rose.
Notable Tenth Doctor Era Fanworks
- Handlebars - vid by Flummery
- Tabula Rasa - vid by hollywoodgrrl
- Tenth Doctor: The Musical by di_br - vid where the Ninth Doctor is bemused watching the Tenth Doctor's affairs and antics.
- Papa Don't Preach - constructed reality vid by eunice and greensilver. Jack Harkness gets pregnant by The Master and worries about The Doctor's reaction.
Matt Smith played the Eleventh Doctor from January 2010 to December 2013. He had three companions, first Amy Pond and Rory Williams, then Clara Oswin Oswald. River Song played a major role, but for the most part did not travel with the Doctor.
(The even more manic Doctor?) Bow tie. Likes eating fish fingers dipped in custard.
Often nicknamed "Eleventy" or "Hipster Doctor."
- Finally, after saving the world in a dead man's clothes, he presented himself, properly, as the Eleventh Doctor, in all his slightly hipster, flopsy haired, long limbed, silly, young, old goofiness. // And you know what? // I LOVED HIM.
Popular ships for the Eleventh Doctor include all his companions in various permutations, though Doctor/River is by far the most popular on the AO3. A Teaspoon and an Open Mind has only character categories and nothing to mark pairings, so gen and het fanfic featuring the Doctor and Amy appear to be the most popular. Fanfiction.net did not add a pairing feature until 2013, so pairing numbers are very low and not necessarily representative; Doctor-and-River stories barely beat out Doctor-and-Amy stories for first place, but as a pairing, Doctor/Clara wins.
Notable Eleventh Doctor Era Fanworks
- Don't Tell Me Where You've Been (Just Show Me What You Know) by Laura Shapiro - an Eleven/River Song vid.
- Your Life (extempore) by lim - a Doctor/Amy/Vincent vid.
Peter Capaldi plays the twelfth doctor, starting as a cameo in the episode "The Day of the Doctor" on the 14th of November 2013. His main companion is Clara Oswald, who was hesitant to continue to travel with him when he first regenerated. He later traveled with Bill Potts and Nardole
Attack eyebrows. Caretaker. Spent 24 years on Darillium.
Generally accepted as the "angry doctor" or the "rebel time lord". Most commonly paired with Clara Oswald, River Song and Missy. Known for the "sneezing regeneration" in which the Eleventh Doctor very quickly snapped into the Twelfth Doctor.
Other Versions of The Doctor
- Rowan Atkinson doctor and Hugh Grant doctor and Joanna Lumley doctor from "Curse of the Fatal Death" short charity special parody.
- Shalka Doctor voiced by Richard E. Grant
- "Despite his huge, infectious grin, and often manic energy, Nine was someone scarred and ravaged from what had been done to him in the Time War… and what he'd been forced to do – destroying not only the Daleks, but also his own people, the Time Lords. Darkness, despair and self-loathing were never very far beneath the surface of his smile… and even as we watched him beguiled by Rose, often times Nine seemed to hate himself far more than it was possible for him to love anyone." From his reach is global, his tower secure; his cause is noble, his power is pure... essay by kalichan at Idol Reflection, 11 Aug 2009. (Accessed 30 Jan 2012)
- his reach is global, his tower secure; his cause is noble, his power is pure... essay on the Tenth Doctor by kalichan at Idol Reflection, 11 Aug 2009. (Accessed 30 Jan 2012)
- See "The Doctor Meets Ceiling Cat" commentfic/coda at the end of the Dreamwidth version of Trying to Communicate by Sam Starbuck (Accessed 29 Jan 2012)
- Things I'm Obsessed With: Doctor Who (Still), accessed January 30, 2012
- As of November 29, AO3 has 1945 works for Eleventh Doctor/River Song, compared to 297 for Eleventh Doctor/Amy Pond, 166 for Eleventh Doctor/Clara Oswin Oswald, 139 for Eleventh Doctor/Amy Pond/Rory Williams, and 119 for Eleventh Doctor/Rory Williams.
- As of 29 November 2013, there are an estimated 1065 Doctor and Amy stories, 810 Doctor and River stories, 765 Doctor and Rory stories, and only 120 Doctor and Clara stories.
- As of 29 November, there were 3.2K Doctor and River stories and 84 Doctor/River, 3.1K Doctor and Amy stories and 11 Doctor/Amy, 1.6K Doctor and Clara stories and 125 Doctor/Clara, 907 Doctor and Rory stories and 0 Doctor/Rory.
- Laura's Vids, accessed January 30, 2012
- Your Life (extempore) on YouTube, accessed January 30, 2012