|Occupation:||Doctor's companion, Torchwood (parallel world)|
|Relationships:||The Doctor, Mickey Smith, Captain Jack Harkness|
|Other:||Portrayed by Billie Piper.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Rose Tyler, portrayed by Billie Piper, becomes the Doctor's first companion of the 2005 reboot of Doctor Who. She is the first companion to have a family as a significant part of her life, and the first to experience domestic conflict surrounding her travels with the Doctor. While she is not the first companion to kiss the Doctor, she is the first companion to canonically consider a romantic relationship with the Doctor; for this reason her character is a source of conflict among fans, and she is often a victim of character bashing.
In Series 1 Rose is established as being 19 years old. This makes her the first contemporary Earth teenager to travel with the Doctor since Dodo Chaplet in 1966.
Rose grew up on the Powell Estate in London. Her father died when she was a baby, leaving her mother Jackie to raise her alone. When the Doctor first meets her, she is working in a retail shop, and dating Mickey Smith, a neighbor she has known all her life after leaving school early.
As the Bad Wolf, Rose is briefly able to see all of time and space. What she does with this ability outside of canon - and how much she remembers afterwards - are open to fannish speculation.
Left behind in Pete's World, Rose goes to work for Torchwood.
For many new fans, Rose was their first companion and took on a special significance. She appears regularly on the first two seasons of the new Doctor Who series, and has several guest appearances in later seasons.
For much of seasons 1 & 2, Rose was the primary companion of the Doctor and as with any new addition to the canon of Doctor Who, her character was not universally loved. There were many fans who identified with Rose's regular-girl origins. Plenty of people have unexciting jobs and annoying family members, and dream of running away with the Doctor. Rose has her flaws - for example, she is unkind to Sarah Jane before finally befriending her - and her struggles make her human.
Still other fans disliked Rose as a character, believing her to be a Mary Sue. In the first season, Rose was able to absorb the energies of the TARDIS. While this almost killed her, and did not leave her with lasting powers, the fandom reaction was split. Some fans disliked the idea that the human companion had saved the day, believing it was not reflective of her actual ability. While in other sections of fandom, this scene led to Mary Sue-ish tropes gaining popularity in Rose centric fanfiction. It also led some fans to view Rose as a companion who was essentially the Doctor's equal.
Many fans disliked this focus on Rose, as the one true companion to the Doctor. They also disliked the focus on her romantic attraction to the Doctor and their relationship.
Rose is commonly shipped with some incarnation of the Doctor, usually Nine, Ten, or Ten II (the meta-crisis Tenth Doctor). She has not canonically met other incarnations, but she's shipped with them as well.
She is also sometimes paired in crossover fic with other characters played by Tenth Doctor actor David Tennant, such as Alec Hardy of Broadchurch. These works are often tagged Teninch. Works pairing any version of the Doctor with a character played by Rose Tyler actress Billie Piper is tagged Doctor Piper. RPF pairing Piper and Tennant is popular as well.
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Bad Wolf Altered Rose sometimes becomes a Timelady, with a Timelords lifespan and telepathic ability
- Dimension hopping Rose often meets different iterations of the Doctor, other companions or River Song.
- During the time Rose was trapped in Pete's World, she made numerous efforts to contact the Doctor. Evidence of these efforts appeared in S4. Beyond that, little is explained in canon about what she did in that time, leaving it a rich setting for fanworks. While she is working for Torchwood, some fans believe that she studied physics and engineering, becoming adept enough to build the dimension cannon that allowed her to return to the Doctor's universe.
- Post-Doomsday many works focused on her life with the half-human Metacrisis Doctor (Tentoo) on Pete's World.
- Rose's former boyfriend Jimmy Stone often appears in fanfic, even though he never appeared on screen. Fandom consensus is that Jimmy was not a good boyfriend.
- I only take the best. I've got Rose an Idol Reflection essay by Belle (2006)
- Essay explaining that Rose isn't "vain" in 2nd Season
- Essay explaining that Rose was acting characteristically like Rose in Journey’s End
- Doctor Who 50th anniversary: 5 reasons why Rose Tyler is the show's best companion ever
- Doctor Who Theory – Was “The Moment” in Day of the Doctor Actually Bad Wolf?
- The Polar Bears' Golf Club by Doyle -- gen adventure with Ace
- Stardust Girl by riversrunthroughme - She's doing this to him because she loves him - well, some other version of him. The one in the real world - but she's doing this because she loves him. Really. Really, really. He'll understand soon. Just not right now. But he'll understand. Eventually, Rose Tyler will make him understand everything, even this. Words: 9548. Rose/10.5. Dark!fic
- An Ordinary Life in the AU Rose and the Doctor's adventures in Pete's World
- Non-Linear Love Story by bendingsignpost
- The Many Names of Rose Tyler by JustAnotherGhostwriter
- Are you afraid of the big Bad Wolf, Doctor?
- Rose Tyler by Ptolemie
- Bad Wolf by janey-jane
- The Bad Wolf by naturalshocks
- "Are you afraid of the big bad wolf?" - digital painting by alicexz
- Rose and Nine by Tissine
- Rose Tyler, Bad Wolf* [ by eringarey
- Rose Tyler by taardisblu
- Rose by MoishPain
Archives and Communities
- Rose Tyler works at FFN
- Bad Wolf works at FFN
- Rose Tyler works at AO3
- Bad Wolf works at AO3
- Dimension Hopping Rose works at Tumblr
- rose_lives - Rose Tyler
- billie_love - Billie Piper
- available_very - Rose / Captain Jack Harkness
- better_with_3 - Rose / Jack Harkness / Doctor (any)
- betterwiththree - Rose / Jack Harkness / Doctor (any)
- See Doctor/Rose for pairing communities.