Trying to Communicate
|Title:||Trying to Communicate|
|Date(s):||posted May 5, 2008|
|Length:||~1500 words - 10:25 minutes (podfic)|
|External Links:||originally posted at LiveJournal|
archived at Dreamwidth
archived at AO3
Podfic read by waldorph at Audiofic Archive
Podfic read by fangirlproductions at Audiofic Archive
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Trying to Communicate is a short fic with a marvellous hook (an alien cat visits the Hub, it tries to communicate); its URL has been shared outside of fandom. As of 4 December 2010, the story has 29 pages of comments at its main URL.
Author's summary: There's an alien in the Hub, and it's trying to communicate. This borders perilously on crackfic.
Trying to Communicate has been podficced multiple times — by waldorph, by the podficcing collective fangirlproductions, and by elaineofshalott. "Mark Does Stuff" on YouTube also posted a reading of the story.
Icons stating, "I HAS A YANTOE," refer to this story.
This story spoils a major plot development from mid-season two.
Recs & Reactions
- "the story that breaks fandom boundaries and pulls in folks from everywhere to read it. It's funny. It's pop culture. It's Torchwood, so it just might happen. ...read it because the dialog is witty, charming and touching; the plot is solid and plausible; the characters are spot on. Be warned, drinking beverages while reading this may be hazardous to your keyboard."
- "I recommend not eating or drinking whilst reading/listening to this one. There's a feline alien who's communicating in lolcat who has crashed into the Hub and the whole thing is just marvelous. I also really recommend the podfic-- waldo did lovely with the voices and especially did lovely with the cat's dialogue [...]"
- Podfic announcement post by waldorph at Amplificathon, 31 May 2008. (Accessed 29 Jan 2012)
- Podfic announcement post for fangirlproductions version at Amplificathon, 11 Oct 2009. (Accessed 29 Jan 2012)
- Audiofic archive download, posted 7 March 2013.
- Mark Oshiro. Mark Reads 'Trying to Communicate,' A Torchwood fic posted 22 August 2012.
- Rec: Trying to Communicate, by sam_storyteller by thaddeusfavor at Torchwood House, 22 Aug 2008. (Accessed 29 Jan 2012)
- From Happy Recs Part Two post by fish_echo, 3 April 2009. (Accessed 29 Jan 2012)