|Alias(es):||shalott, the lady of shalott|
|Type:||archivist, developer, con runner, slasher, vidder, fanwriter|
|Fandoms:||multifandom, American Idol, Avengers, James Bond, BtVS, DCEU, Entourage, Harry Potter, Highlander, House, M.D., Justice League, L.A. Confidential, Merlin, Person of Interest, PotC, Sherlock Holmes, Smallville, Stargate Atlantis, Supernatural, The Sentinel, Thor, Transformers, X-Men|
|URL:||astolat at Archive of Our Own|
astolat at Dreamwidth
astolat at LiveJournal
astolat at Pillowfort
astolat at Tumblr
astolat at Twitter
astolat at YouTube
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
astolat is a popular writer  and vidder in myriad fandoms since 1994 and has contributed greatly to fannish infrastructure.
In 1998, she developed the Automated Archive software that powered the main archives in due South, The Sentinel and Smallville slash fandom. She created Sencrit, a Sentinel writers' workshop in 1998.
In 2002, she founded Vividcon, the fan convention dedicated to vidding.
In 2003, she founded Yuletide, the annual rare-fandoms gift exchange fanfic challenge.
In 2007, she wrote An Archive Of One's Own, proposing and subsequently developing Archive of Our Own, the fanworks archive that began in 2009.
As a fanfiction writer, she has written numerous Fandom Classics in large media fandoms such as Stargate: Atlantis, Supernatural, Smallville, Harry Potter and Merlin as well as crucial works in smaller fandoms (James Bond, L.A. Confidential, Master and Commander, etc.).
Some of her fannish history can be found at her userpage on Fanlore.
Regarding her pseud: "I'm astolat here on LJ, having grudgingly accepted the name because my longtime pseud "shalott" was taken, except over time I've fallen in love with the name and now it's what I'm using almost exclusively. I've also gone by shalott and (a while ago!) the lady of shalott.
A fan in 2015 wrote: "There was never another person in fandom that most fit the description of a BNF more than Fanfic Writer, Professional Author, Vidder, Web Developer, and Fandom Activist Astolat. For the last twenty years, Astolat has not only seen the evolution of fandom from mailing lists to tumblr, but she is still here, when many of her contemporaries have disappeared from fandom altogether."
- Ask the Author: astolat (2008)
- Slashcast, Episode 25 (2011)
- Proof of Contradiction
- Under the Sea
- The Scholomance Series
- Old Country (SPN/HP) Sam and Dean go to Hogwarts.
- Slithering Drarry
Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Old Country - Crossover with Harry Potter - Sam and Dean go to Hogwarts.
- Leader of the Pack - Sam and Dean adopt some Hellhounds.
- Control (The Sentinel). A missing scene (or "what really happened" scene) from the Lee Brackett episode.
- Territoriality (The Sentinel)
- Jeeves and the Blessed Indiscretion (Jeeves and Wooster)
- Queen of Spades (Bond/M)
- The Maiden Voyage of the Tiresias (Sherlock Holmes)
- Reconcilable Differences (Smallville/DC Comics)
Influential vids include:
- Bukowski (House, M.D.)
- Zebra (Due South)
- Bohemian Like You (Stargate: Atlantis)
- Passion (Highlander); early constructed reality vid
- A Day in the Life (with Speranza) (Dead Zone)
- Pon de Replay (Entourage) features a manipped kiss
- Kid Fears - a complex retelling of the Star Wars film saga across generations. This was astolat's first vid.
- Uninvited (The Silence of the Lambs vid) - an examination of Clarice's and Hannibal Hector's disturbing relationship from The Silence of the Lambs
- The Mountain (with Melina) - a LOTR vid about accepting one's destiny, and the price of doing so, as seen in the journeys of Frodo and Aragorn
- astolat's "We Need an Archive of Our Own" Post, 17 May 2007, responding to cesperanza's post, Dear Fandom: Could You Please Stop Saying That? about the legality of fanfic, and reflecting on why we need to own the servers.
- ^ "fanfic lifetime stats".
- ^ from Ask the Author: astolat (2008)
- ^ Fannishery: Astolat, Archived version by Gigi Kiersten, February 25, 2015