|Pairing:||Geralt of Rivia x Emhyr var Emreis|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Book and video game
The pairing is based mostly on the books and video game canon, where the relationship between Geralt and Emhyr is mostly antagonistic.
Emhyr did not explicitly feature as a character in the first season of the Netflix adaptation.
Before the show
In 2018, when the fandom was small and based exclusively on the book series and the video game adaptations, the pairing was the fandom's second-most popular one (behind canon het pairing Geralt/Yennefer).
This popularity was undoubtedly due to the influence of astolat, who posted the first three Geralt/Emhyr works on AO3 and wrote more than 100,000 words for the pairing in January and February 2017, inspiring others to create their own. Out of the 20 earliest works posted to AO3, 14 are either astolat's stories or translations, podfics, missing scenes, alternate points of view or fanart of those stories.
Even early original stories credit astolat for inspiring them:
End notes to "circling" by xpityx
2) This is all astolat's fault and you should go read all of her Witcher fic because it's phenomenal.
3) As far as canon goes, I have read half of one of the books and astolat's fics. That's it. So, er, sorry?
After the show
The Netflix adaptation, released in January 2020, did not feature Emhyr explicitly. The pairing was quickly overtaken by the fandom's new juggernaut ship: Geralt/Jaskier, although it can be safely hypothesized that the wave of interest generated in the fandom did bring new fans to the pairing.
Other podfics of astolat's stories include:
- Blooded Crown by astolat by Rhea314
- The War of Silver and Ash by annapods
- Cursed by lunchee
- Demands of the Dead by BabelGhoti
Other podfics for the pairing:
- "fail-fandomanon thread about the Witcher's most popular pairings as of Jan 19, 2018". Archived from the original on Dec 12, 2020.