Enemies to Lovers
|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Enemies to Friends to Lovers|
|Related:||Rivals to Lovers|
|See Also:||Enemyslash, Hatesex, Friends to Lovers|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Enemies to Lovers is a common trope in erotic and romantic literature which regularly appears in fan fiction.
The two characters often have a long history of conflict with each other. They may be on opposite sides of a struggle, or may have just met under unfortunate circumstances and their personalities clashed. There is often a lot of bickering and UST.
Enemies may be forced to work together to achieve a common goal and come to respect one another, building slowly to a sexual relationship. Their relationship may change as a result of circumstances and fic authors have used Forced Marriage, Sex Pollen, Amnesia or Soulmates AU to get their pairing together.
Enemies to Friends to Lovers
Although Enemies to Friends to Lovers and Enemies to Lovers can be thought as one and the same, that is not always the case. Sometimes two characters who are enemies, and have UST, pivot quickly into having a sexual (or romantic) relationship, skipping the step of developing a friendship first, for some fans this is satisfactory because they wish to see the pairing together, but for many the friendship component is crucial for them to accept and enjoy the pairing.
Rivals to Lovers
Rivals (to Friends) to Lovers differs from Enemies to Lovers in the severity of the antagonism between the two characters. They will usually dislike each other for less serious reasons, and may feel competitive rather than wishing true harm on the other. Rivals to Lovers works typically involve more fluff as two people learn to get along but do not have to overcome and significant moral disagreements.
having a rival just means youre gay i know we cover this every time but 'rival' is code for fated lover and everyone knows it. i know it. you know it. the people writing it know it.
- Harry Potter - most often in the pairing of Draco Malfoy with either Harry or Hermione
- Voltron: Legendary Defender - the pairing of Lance McClain/Keith. Usually classified as "Rivals to Lovers."
- The 100 - the pairing of Clexa prior to their short lived romantic relationship in canon, as well as the pairing Bellarke, who often find themselves in conflict. The Kabby pairing had a canonical enemies to lovers story arc
- Arrowverse - the Coldflash pairing, in which Captain Cold is one of The Flash's villains.
- Star Wars - the pairing of Reylo ships canon adversaries Rey and Kylo Ren, who are discovered to have a Force Bond.
- Death Note - the pairing of L/Light often involves the two attempting to manipulate each other through a disingenuous relationship.
- The Songbird and the Sea - an extremely popular BTS fanfiction that, as of Feburary 2019, is the most popular work in the Enemies to Lovers tag on AO3.
- Rivals series - an extremely popular Yuri!!! on Ice fanfiction that, as of Feburary 2019, is the second most popular work in the Enemies to Lovers tag.
- ENEMIES TO LOVERS & FRIENDS: A Guest Post by J Emery, December 29, 2018
Archives & Fannish Links
- 4:55 PM - 2 Apr 2019 @blingeed
- Found via the tag search and sorting February 2019.