The Songbird and the Sea
|Title:||The Songbird and the Sea|
|Date(s):||May 2017 - December 2017|
|Length:||256k words; 34 chapters|
|External Links:||ao3 link|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
On the Archive of Our Own, it is the most popular BTS fanwork by kudos, second most popular by hit counts, and has the third most comments; as of January 2019, it has 416k hits, 24k kudos, 5k comments, and 5k bookmarks.
It was posted in 34 installments between May and December 2017. In September 2018, the author announced that they would post the sequel, The Songbird and the North, only to Patreon to prevent unauthorized translations as happened with TSTS.
Summary: In a world where dominance of the sea is an endless battle between pirates and mariners, Park Jimin is content living in his little village on a small, uninteresting island by the eastern mainland. He wants nothing to do with the bloodshed of good and evil, the heartless killing of both innocents and condemned, the constant establishment and disruption of order. What he wants is peace, to live his life in the same town he was born in, to spend his days in the beautiful forest, and to use the powers of his Blessed Rune to nurture the home he loves so dearly.
But when his island is attacked by pirates, Jimin will have no other choice than to do as they command and leave all thoughts of peace behind in favor of boarding the Agust, a pirate ship captained by the infamous Min Yoongi, Black Fox of the East.
As of January 2019, it is the most popular work by kudos in the Alternate Universe - Pirates, Alternate Universe - Fantasy, Magic, Enemies to Lovers, Historical, and Slow Burn tags on AO3. It is the second most popular work in the Slow Build and Romance tags.
- "The Songbird and the Sea" - Yoonmin Fanfic Trailer by Kaiciel
- The Songbird and the Sea (FMV) | Yoonmin by Moonlit
- The Songbird And The Sea • BTS • Yoonmin • Trailer by glitter sherlocked
- tumblr edit
[...] Fave Part? – There’s a reason why Songbird is the most popular fic of this ship. About two-thirds into the story a nagging feeling filled my heart whenever I looked at the pages on the bottom of my screen: I did not want this story to end. I kept going back to those defining moments instead of moving forward:
- the one where Yoongi barges in when Jimin is caged up in Son Jukan’s brig.
- the one where he appears right before the pirates in Shanghai violate Jimin.
- the Holi-esque festival where Jimin and Yoongi connect (eep!!!!).
- the moment he leans over Jimin’s shoulder when they’re playing Hangman’s Mercy – a personal favourite – I yelped!
- their first kiss + the morning after in the infirmary… swooooning… [...]