|Alias(es):||shalott, the lady of shalott|
|Type:||archivist, developer, con runner, slasher, vidder, writer|
|Fandoms:||multifandom, American Idol, Avengers, James Bond, BtVS, DCEU, Entourage, Harry Potter, Highlander, House, M.D., Justice League, L.A. Confidential, Merlin, Person of Interest, PotC, Sherlock Holmes, Smallville, Stargate Atlantis, Supernatural, The Sentinel, Thor, Transformers, X-Men|
astolat at Archive of Our Own
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
As a fanfiction writer, she has written numerous Fandom Classics in large media fandoms such as Stargate: Atlantis, Supernatural, Smallville, Harry Potter and Merlin as well crucial works in smaller fandoms (James Bond, L.A. Confidential, Master and Commander, etc.).
Regarding her pseud: "I'm astolat here on LJ, having grudgingly accepted the name because my longtime pseud "shalott" was taken, except over time I've fallen in love with the name and now it's what I'm using almost exclusively. I've also gone by shalott and (a while ago!) the lady of shalott.
A fan in 2015 wrote: "There was never another person in fandom that most fit the description of a BNF more than Fanfic Writer, Professional Author, Vidder, Web Developer, and Fandom Activist Astolat. For the last twenty years, Astolat has not only seen the evolution of fandom from mailing lists to tumblr, but she is still here, when many of her contemporaries have disappeared from fandom altogether."
- Proof of Contradiction
Influential vids include:
- Bukowski (House, M.D.)
- Zebra (Due South)
- Bohemian Like You (Stargate: Atlantis)
- Passion (Highlander); early constructed reality vid
- A Day in the Life (with Speranza) (Dead Zone)
- Pon de Replay (Entourage) features a manipped kiss
- Kid Fears - a complex retelling of the Star Wars film saga across generations. This was astolat's first vid.
- Uninvited (The Silence of the Lambs vid) - an examination of Clarice's and Hannibal Hector's disturbing relationship from The Silence of the Lambs
- The Mountain (with Melina) - a LOTR vid about accepting one's destiny, and the price of doing so, as seen in the journeys of Frodo and Aragorn
- astolat's "We Need an Archive of Our Own" Post, 17 May 2007, responding to cesperanza's post, Dear Fandom: Could You Please Stop Saying That? about the legality of fanfic, and reflecting on why we need to own the servers.