|See also:||noromo, notp, ship war|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Anti-shipper is a fannish term that has been around since X-Files fandom in the 1990s, but has taken on different meanings in different contexts.
Originally it was a synonym of Noromo, a fan who wanted Mulder and Scully's relationship (in canon or in fanfic) to be platonic.
As of 2016 in tumblr fandom, anti-shipper has been used by some observers to describe a very specific phenomenon--fans who attack a ship and its shippers with arguments that it is "pedophilic" or promotes abuse IRL. See the Fail_Fandomanon wiki entry. Closely tied to the concept of anti-shipper is the Tumblr phenomenon sometimes known as "purity wank". See AO3 Content Discussion (2016).
Tumblr user wrangletangle relates the origin of Tumblr anti-shippers to the long-standing Tumblr etiquette of "don't tag your hate":
The “anti” problem arose because Tumblr has no functional community structure, meaning people started using the tags themselves to replace the communities from back on LJ. In that context, tagging a negative post with the tags that apply was making the posts show up in the only viable community structure, which was a violation of LJ etiquette (where communities were self-selecting and moderated). This was exacerbated by the lack of functional cut tags, so everything was all completely visible, and you had to scroll past every post in its entirety. The culture of “don’t post anti in the tag” was a social concept developed to deal with Tumblr’s non-functionality for fandom purposes.
In March 2017 an anon on Fail_Fandomanon elaborated on this origin story, explaining that the antishippers were told go to their own anti[ship] tag, which they did, and where they only interacted with like-minded people and therefore ended up radicalizing each other.
Examples of pairings where anti-shippers have been active:
- Reylo from Star Wars: The Force Awakens - claims that it promotes domestic abuse
- Kylux from Star Wars: The Force Awakens - claims that it promotes unhealthy darkfic and is racist
- Takashi Shirogane/Keith Kogane from Voltron: Legendary Defender - claims that it promotes pedophilia
- Chara/Sans from Undertale - claims that it promotes pedophilia even though fanworks age Chara up first
- Chara/Asriel from Undertale - claims that it promotes incest (the two were raised together despite sharing no blood relation) and abuse
- Otabek Altin/Yuri Plisetsky from Yuri!!! on Ice - claims that it promotes pedophilia even though both characters are teenagers, and the age gap between the two in canon is only two and a half years
- Any pairings involving Elise and Sakura from Fire Emblem Fates - claims they promote pedophilia despite Sakura and Elise being teenagers as well as legal marrying age by the standards of the game's setting
- Inigo/Owain from Fire Emblem Awakening - claims it promotes abuse due to Inigo teasing Owain
- Arusigawa Juri/Kaoru Miki from Revolutionary Girl Utena - claims it's queer erasure despite none of the shippers denying Juri's attraction to women or her canon feelings for Takatsuki Shiori
- Berkut/Rinea from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - claims it promotes domestic abuse despite the relationship only going sour due to outside forces
- Simon Blackquill/Athena Cykes from Ace Attorney - claims it promotes pedophilia
- SHIP WARS: A Simple Guide for Fandom tumblr post by shinykari, with arguments in the reblogs (February 03, 2016)
- tumblr thread started by buckyballbearing - "prioritizing fictional characters over the needs of real women" (August 2016)
- early? example in Teen Wolf fandom: post by knottingwolves, with addition by plushstiel - outrage against moral policing of incest ships, with bonus argument that Sterek is worse because fandom doesn't acknowledge that it is problematic (March 2014)
- I See A Lot Of Posts Going Around (Suppressing Women's Sexuality) thread started by buckyballbearing, August 15, 2016
- The roots of anti culture; archive link, at fail_fandomanon (August 2016)
- fail_fandomanon: Re: Where Antis started, Archived version at fail_fandomanon (October 28, 2016)
- Calling all fandom historians and academics, Archived version at fail_fandomanon (December 11, 2016)
- Ok, well don't say I didn't warn you.; archive link; WebCite by Bokai (May 2017)
- antishipping as the cool new trend, or: why are most antis under 25 years old? , freedom-of-fanfic (June 2017)
- Could you talk some more about how current antis relate back to the LJ social justice scene and when the morph from debating fanworks to dissing people happened?; archive link, ffreedom-of-fanfic (July 2017)
- But I’m going to go more into how tumblr’s very structure led to a ‘race to the bottom’ sort of enacting of punishment via social justice, freedom-of-fanfic (July 2017)
- Either because there's a canon age gap between the characters, or because the fan created a fanwork depicting an age gap with one character underage, or because the fan created a fanwork in which one character arguably looked underage maybe, or because the shipper is an adult whereas the characters are canonically teens, or because the shipper is an adult whereas the characters were canonically teens at some point...
- For example: "pedophilic ships exist. for example gravity falls: shipping mabel with pacifica is fine. they are both 12 and as long as no one posts any nsfw thats fine. however, shipping mabel pines with gruncle stan is pedophilic and people who do are pedophiles." comment by odetcyou, archived, on 29 August 2016.
- "jaytim is a perfectly fine ship. it doesn’t involve pedophilia or anything. jason is 21 and tim is 17 if im not wrong. even if there is a slight age gap doesnt mean that its pedophilia, okay? ive seen many people being mistaken over this and it’s not pedophilia. what is pedophilia is shipping bruce/batkids." tumblr post by frostedemma, 27 August 2016, with commentary in the reblogs. archived.
- dreamwidth backup
- wrangletangle. Yes, you can tag your dark or triggery work on AO3 with the characters and ships that are in it, archived, posted to Tumblr 26 September 2016. 1,829 notes as of 19 October 2016.
- 2017-03-07 comment
- See Your Vagina is a Bigot; My Vagina is a Saint.
- archived, with 10,340 notes as of 27 August 2016.
- archived, with 9,516 notes as of 27 August 2016