|See also:||pseud, RL sockpuppet, Wallet Name|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Doxing (also spelled doxxing) is the publishing of private or identifying information about an individual on the Internet, typically with malicious intent. In fandom, doxing is used to connect pseuds to Real Life identities, forcing fans out of the Fandom Closet. It can also reveal that sockpuppets are not real people. Information such as real name, address, phone number, place of work, private accounts, other online usernames, I.P. address, and personal photographs are some things that are revealed when someone is doxed.
Doxing in Fandom
- An anti-shipper on Tumblr named bendyhatespaedos purposefully doxed pedophiles, and admitted to doxing a 12 year old.
- A mod from the FeralHeart public forum was accused of soft doxing after revealing two forum members had the same I.P. address, though the actual I.P. addresses were marked out.
- Anonymous, a group credited as starting on 4chan, has doxed members of the KKK.
- Brokenlevel, a Tumblr user, was reportedly doxed for shipping drama in the RWBY fandom, and had someone attempt to get them fired from work. 
Links & Resources
- Someone in the Tumblr RWBY fandom doxxed me..., Jun 3, 2018 (Accessed 10/15/2020)