For the the Man from UNCLE fanfic, see Frozen (Man from UNCLE story).
|Date(s):||November 2013, November 2019|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||official site|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Frozen is an animated Disney franchise beginning in 2013 with the original Frozen film. Subsequent content has included a sequel, short films, a Broadway and West End musical and theme park attractions.
- Frozen (2013) - Feature
- Frozen Fever (2015) - Short
- Olaf's Frozen Adventure (2017) - TV Special
- Frozen 2 (2019) - Feature
- Myth: A Frozen Tale (2020) - Short
- Once Upon A Snowman (2020) - Short
Frozen was originally meant to be a classic Disney animated film version of The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. Disney Studios had been trying to make this film for many decades. They could never figure out a way to properly portray the Snow Queen while at the same time making her relevant to modern audiences. Andersen's original story seemed "too dark" and not translating well to film (it's been done several times by Russian, British and Finnish film and TV studios). The answer seemed to be to give the Queen a backstory and make her a misunderstood but well-intentioned human being rather than an embodied force of nature.
The result was a film about two little princesses, one of whom, Elsa, has cryokinetic powers. After she accidentally hurts her sister Anna in play, her parents have Elsa locked up, isolated from everyone, including Anna, and forbidden even to practice for control. As an adult, Elsa becomes queen. In an emotionally fraught moment after the coronation, she accidentally unleashes her powers in full view of the royal court and visitors, leading her to be branded a monster. Escaping to the wilderness, she builds a solitary palace of ice, unknowingly creating eternal winter over the kingdom. Anna sets out on a courageous quest to find Elsa, but when she confronts her, Elsa freezes Anna's heart. Anna will turn completely to ice unless "true love's kiss" can save her. Everyone assumes this means a kiss from a man who cares for her, but it means any true love. When Elsa offers her life in exchange for Anna's and then hugs and kisses her sister in apology, Anna thaws out and Elsa finds she can control her ice powers by love.
The idea of a person whose heart is frozen by the Snow Queen, and whose soul and mind will become icebound unless restored by love, is from the original Andersen fairytale. There, a little girl undertakes the heroic pilgrimage to the Snow Queen's palace, to save her brother. It is his heart that was frozen and must be revived. Most of the people who help her on her way are women.
Once Upon a Time
In the last minute of Season 3's finale of Once Upon a Time, it was revealed that Emma Swan and Captain Hook brought back with them a vessel from the past to the present. Once there, the vessel broke open and released Elsa into Storybrooke. In July 2014, it was announced the actresses Georgina Haig will be Elsa, Elizabeth Lail will be Anna, and Scott Michael Foster will be Kristoff. Elsa and Anna's parents, Sven, Marshmallow, Grand Pabbie the Troll King, and Hans have appeared in the series.
Crossovers with Rise of the Guardians and the Big Four are popular, especially with RotG's character Jack Frost with Elsa is very popular especially on Tumblr due to their similar powers. As further Disney films were released, more crossovers began to appear, such as with Moana and Raya and the Last Dragon.
The reaction from the fandom to the sequel was mostly positive overall, though the ending and some of the characters arcs were somewhat divisive. The decision to separate the two sisters geographically in particular was viewed positively by some, but negatively by others.
Frozen 2 has somewhat of a reputation for being darker than the original, particularly due to Olaf and Elsa's 'deaths', and the exploration of Anna's grief in the form of the song The Next Right Thing.
Several of the actors have gained small fan followings after having been cast in the Frozen stage musicals, both on Broadway and the West End. Caissie Levy (Elsa) and Patti Murin (Anna) for the former, and Samantha Barks (Elsa) for the latter.
The het Anna/Kristoff ship and femslash incest Anna/Elsa took off before the film's release. Hans/Anna, Elsa/Kristoff and Hans/Elsa are also common pairings for the fandom. The slash pairing of Kristoff/Hans is fairly rare but exists.
|Jack Frost/Elsa||Rise of the Guardians|
|Elsa/Hiccup||How to Train Your Dragon|
|Elsa/Heather||How to Train Your Dragon|
- Main Article: GiveElsaAGirlfriend
As she creates her ice palace, Elsa sings an extremely catchy song, "Let It Go", about ceasing to care for others' opinions and living independently as oneself. This has been cited many times, including outside of tumblr and outside of fandom, as a subtextual (or not so subtextual) LGBTQ coming-out song: in fact, some moral guardians (and probably many devout fans) believe Disney deliberately intended the song and the film to normalize LGBTQ for children. A number of LGBTQ rights advocates began petitioning the company to make Elsa a Lesbian in the sequel. Idina Menzel, who voiced Elsa, believes Disney will likely never do it, but that at least the fan campaign opened the subject for discussion. How much of this "gay subtext" was intentional by the writers is debatable: co-director Chris Buck said Disney had already done "kissed by a prince" so many times that he wanted "to do something different on the definition of true love."  Fans as well as outraged religionists may be making more out of the metaphors in the film than is really there: Dani Colman's The Problem with False Feminism is a discourse on distinguishing subjective fantasy from the reality of the film.
- R9k Elsa is Suffering by AnonElsa, A series of short, semi-related one-shots exploring the pain that is /r9k/Elsa.
- A Snowflake in Spring by Celery Sticks, After her brother Hans is institutionalized, Anna makes it her mission to visit him whenever she can. The sooner he comes home, the sooner everything will go back to normal. She wasn't expecting to meet the asylum's resident 'Ice Queen,' who refuses to speak or acknowledge anyone... (Anna/Elsa)
- Stolen Ice by Aesla, Sisters are orphaned, split at birth. One's a thief, the other a conwoman. There's paintings, diamond heists, forgotten identities, and an evil corporation. There's also a slow burn romance, which isn't the best when it's with your long-lost sister you never knew you had. (Elsanna)
- Café Liégeois by 4mation, So a blind woman walks into a coffee shop… (Elsa/Anna, AU - not!incest)
- Dear Elsa by Saiberia, In the wake of her parents' death, Anna is whisked off away to the Countess Elsa of Arendelle, who has been entrusted with her care. Though a bit put off by her childhood friend's aloofness, Anna finds herself drawn to the allure of the reclusive Countess. However the Countess, her manor, and the forests surrounding them harbor greater mysteries than Anna could have imagined. (Elsanna)
- Needed by FrozenHeartsDontBeat, When the odds are stacked against them, can two sisters learn to overcome their obstacles, and still remain the siblings they once were? Or will they find something even greater within themselves? (NSFW)
- Frozen Crystals by forthefirsttimeinnever, Modern AU where "Ice Queen" and "Snowman" take on a less innocent meaning. There's bound to be something for everyone in this, although the majority of this fic will consist of minor (and major) tragedies and ambiguities galore, along with a bunch of progressive metal references because who doesn't love that?
- Summer Snowstorms by FantasyFoSho, With the gates finally open, Elsa and Anna get to experience the world that they had missed during all those years of isolation. But just as their sisterly bond begins to flourish, Elsa's struggle to find the balance between performing her duties as queen and pursuing her desires as an individual threatens to tear the two apart once again.
- Locks by presidentallosaurus, Two girls get locked out in the same night. What could happen?
- Convicted by concealdontfeel, Prince Hans has returned to Arendelle, this time to apologize. However, he is taken into custody and it is up to Queen Elsa to decide his fate. Will she choose life, death, or even something else for Hans?
- The Snow Queen and the Ice Demon by Lizardbeth, When a tall stranger arrives in Arendelle, with a familiar power and a familiar loneliness, Elsa discovers that frozen hearts also run in families. Only one thing can thaw his, but luckily it's something Elsa and Anna have in abundance. Thor crossover (2014), first of a series.
- Frozen by JFRteam
- Frozen by Kc-Eazyworld
- I came for you by RodrigoYborra (Anna and Elsa)
- Warm Hugs by DrZime (Anna and Olaf)
- Dreamteam by Daishota (Kristoff and Sven)
- Anna/Kristoff by merwalrus
- Disney Heroes - Prince Hans by davidkawena
- FROZEN by kowan (Anna, Elsa & Olaf)
- Frozen by THEZENTLION (Anna & Elsa)
- Frozen by kairuiz (Elsa, Olaf, and Marshmellow)
- Frozen Genderblend by Waenaglariel
- Frozen Knights by ComickerGirl (Anna, Kristoff, and Elsa)
- Frozen Royal Family by miacat7 (King, Queen, Anna, and Elsa)
- Merida & Kristoff by hester-brynne (Brave/Frozen)
- Elsa and Elphaba by Kc-Eazyworld (Wicked/Frozen)
- Gives You Character by lily-fox (Anna/Kristoff)
- Comfort Food by lily-fox (Anna/Kristoff)
- Hearth by lily-fox (Anna/Kristoff)
- Forgiveness by lily-fox (Elsa and Hans)
- these frozen feels by Kitsune Niku
- Defying Frozen Gravity by Sabin17
- Frozen Gangnam Style (MMD) by Pixelink Dance - a MikuMikuDance video and the most viewed MMD video on youtube, with over 144 million views
- When I'm gone by Isuky (Anna/Kristoff)
- angels by BackwardBlossom (Anna/Kristoff)
- Will You Help Me Hide A Body? (Carmen -Mary Medley-) - parody
- Do You Want to Build A Meth Lab? (animeme) - Breaking Bad parody.
- Let It Go (feat. Dr Manhattan) (Wes Well) - Watchmen video set to the song Let It Go
Archives and Communities
- Disney’s “Frozen”: The Feminist Fairy Tale We’ve Been Waiting For (With No Prince Charming) by Shelby Rosten at Feminspire (02 Dec 2013)
- The problem with false feminism (or why “Frozen” left me cold) by Dani Colman (01 Feb 2014)
- Alternate-universe 'Frozen' is Tumblr's hottest trend by Aja Romano at The Daily Dot (03 Feb 2014)
- How 'Frozen' fandom changed Disney's stance on copyright infringement by Chris Osterndorf at The Daily Dot (30 May 2014)
- 'Once Upon a Time's 'Frozen' Spinoff Needs to Happen for These 7 Important Reasons by Kadeen Griffiths at Bustle.com (15 July 2014)
- Frozen Fan
- Frozen Fanclub
- Frozen 2013
- Best Frozen Disney
- Frozen Fans Unite
- Sisters of Arendelle
- SexyFrozenFanart (adult/mature fanworks, NSFW)
- Elsa x Anna
- Anna x Elsa
- Kristoff x Hans
- Kristoff x Anna
- Hans x Elsa
- Hanna Fanclub
- Elsanna Shippers
- The Frozen Army (Anna/Elsa)
- Anna x Jack x Elsa (Anna/Jack Frost/Elsa)
- Jack Frost x Elsa
- Once Upon a Time Season 3 Episode 22 "There's No Place Like Home"
- "Once Upon a Time" casts Elsa from "Frozen". CBS News. Published July 3, 2014. (Accessed 4 July 2014)
- 'Once Upon a Time' casts 'Frozen' characters Kristoff and Anna. Inside TV at EW. Published July 1, 2014. (Accessed 4 July 2014)
- There is a lengthy discussion about this at Top Comments: A Queer Perspective on Disney's Frozen by Chrislove on Daily Kos, 2014-02-14.
- Curtis M. Wong, Here’s What Idina Menzel Thinks About A Gay Elsa In Frozen 2. Huffington Post, 2016-09-16.
- Mike P. Williams, "Chris Buck reveals true inspiration behind Disney's Frozen (exclusive)". Yahoo! Movies. Yahoo! Inc. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.