Slash cons are a type of fan-run convention (fan cons). The first unabashedly slash con was IDICon in Houston, in 1984, run by Pam Rose, Linn O'Brien, Barb Lewis and others. The current longest running slash con is Escapade (thirty years as of 2020) held every year near Santa Barbara, California by Megan Kent and Charlotte C Hill.
Slash cons tend to be adult only; tend not to have guests (and if they do, they're other fans); tend to have adult art in the art show (if they have an art show -- many of them are closer to large house parties than classic conventions). They almost always have vid shows. Some slash cons are slash-only, with no het vids, art, or panels allowed, while others focus on slash but include het as well. Slash-friendly cons are those that welcome slash without defining themselves specifically as slash cons.
There is no one place in media fandom to find out about all slash conventions, but many are announced on the LJ Community Slash Con
Currently Active Slash Cons
- See also List of Conventions Past and Present.
These are cons that are still running as of 2020. Cons are held every year unless otherwise noted.
- BistoCon, 2014-present (August, even-numbered years). The Professionals relaxacon.
- ConStrict, 2001-present (July). Multimedia con, now in Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- CON.TXT, 2006-present (June, even-numbered years). Multimedia con held in Washington, DC, USA suburb.
- Escapade, 1991-present. Multimedia con held in Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Get Together, 2005-present (October). Slash and multi media fan gathering in Wellington, New Zealand.
- KisCon, 1999-2012 (irregular), 2013-present (odd-numbered years). Kirk/Spock con that has been held in Texas, USA and Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Lubricus, 2011-2012, 2020. Harry Potter slash con held near Seattle, WA, USA.
- SHarecon, 2000-present (even-numbered years). Starsky and Hutch con held in Maryland, USA.
- SinpOzium, 2000-2002, 2005, 2011-2015, 2017-present (June). Multimedia con held in Sydney, Australia.
- Tribal Forces, 2006-present (April). Slash con held in Eastern Pennsylvania, USA.
Past Slash Cons
These are slash cons that are defunct, on hiatus, or always planned as a one-time event. Cons were held every year unless otherwise noted.
- BardCon, 2002-2005. Xena uber fiction con held in Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Bascon, 2000-2011 (November). Multimedia con held in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA, usually in November.
- The Bash at the Loft, (dates?). Small Sentinel con, now defunct, held (where?).
- BishounenCon, 2001-2003. An anime and manga yaoi con held in Trier, Germany.
- Boys Love Yaoi Gakkai, 2007, 2009, and 2011. Held in Sweden.
- Close Quarters, 2007, 2009 (July). Bi-yearly (odd-numbered years, possibly on hiatus) Professionals con in Maryland, USA.
- Closet Con 1987- 2014 (July). Irregular (not every year) Star Trek-focused con held in Leicester, UK.
- Connexions, 1998-2005 (April), 2015-2019 (August, odd-numbered years). Multimedia con held in Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Connotations, 2003-2012 (October). Multimedia con held in Tynemouth, England, UK.
- conSENSUAL, 2011 (November). Multimedia yaoi and yuri con held in Melbourne, Australia.
- Friscon, 1993-2000. Multimedia con held in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.
- IDICon, 1984-1988. The first-ever slash con, held in Houston, TX, USA.
- K/S CONnections, 2003-2005, a UK Kirk/Spock slash con
- KisMet (convention), 2005-2018 (August). Kirk/Spock con held in York, UK.
- Koon-ut-Cali-Con, 1989, 1990. A Southern California K/S con.
- Muskrat Jamboree, 2007-2015 (March). Bi-yearly (odd-numbered years) multimedia con held in Boston, MA, USA.
- Nattercon, (1990-2009?). A small Professionals con held in the UK.
- The Paul Muni Special, the Starsky and Hutch Anniversary con, September 27-29, 1985, Baltimore, MD, one-shot, April Valentine & Carol Davis
- Red Rose Convention, (1998-2000). Multimedia con held in the UK.
- Senticon, (2000-2006). Started out a Sentinel con, now a multimedia con in Grand Rapids, MI, USA. (is/was this bi-yearly, to alternate with Zebracon?)
- Slashcon, 2005-?. Multimedia con held irregularly in Fairbridge Village, Western Australia.
- Southern Gathering, 2001, multimedia, held one year in Arlington, VA
- Room 801, 2014-2015, a yaoi/yuri con in Sydney, Australia
- VegaSH Con, 2009, Starsky and Hutch, a slash and gen-friendly con held in Las Vegas, NV
- Virgule, a Seattle slash con of the early 1990s.
- Yaoi-Con, 2001-2017 (fall). An anime and manga yaoi con held in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA.
- YaYuCo, 2005, 2007. A yaoi and yuri con held in Dachau, Bavaria, Germany.
- Y/CON (previously "Yaoi Yuri Con"), 2011-2018, a yaoi/yuri con in Villejuif, France.
- ZebraCon, 1979- 2007 (October). Originally a Starsky & Hutch con that later became a multimedia con; at some point this became a bi-yearly con. Mixed slash and gen. Held in Chicago, IL, USA. WayBack Archive link to Zebracon website & (Zebracon LJ)
Cons are held every year unless otherwise noted.
- CONfabulation, 2017-present. Successor to WinCon. Chicago, IL, USA.
- FanWorks, 2019-present. Multimedia fanworks convention. USA.
- Pacificon aka Bitchin' Party, 2008-present (March, even-numbered years). A small slash-friendly multifandom fanfic and vid con held near Seattle, WA.
- REVELcon, 1990-present (March). Multimedia con held in Houston, TX, USA.
- VidUKon, 2008-present. Vidding convention held in the UK.
- Eclecticon 1996-2006 (November). Multimedia con with a focus on zines, held in Newark, NJ, USA.
- Eastern Media Con, 2007-present (October). Multimedia con created to fill the gap left by Eclecticon, held in Newark, NJ, USA. On hiatus as of 2009.
- MediaWest*Con, 1981-2019 (May). An enormous slash-friendly zine con held in Lansing, MI, USA.
- Redemption 1999-2017 (February). Multimedia con held in Coventry, UK.
- Vidcon, 1991-2017 (July). Multimedia con held in St. Petersburg, FL, USA.
- VividCon, 2002-2018 (August). Multimedia vidding convention held in Chicago, IL, USA.
- WinCon, 2006-2015 (October). A Supernatural con that was slash-only for its first year. As of 2010, it became a multi-fandom con. It moved to a different city each year. Succeeded by CONfabulation.