KiScon (Star Trek convention)
|Star Trek Convention|
|Dates:||1980-1982, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 & 2017|
|Location:||Los Angeles, CA and the UK|
|Founder:||Ginna LaCroix, Carol Frisbie and Susan K. James|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Where, When, and Who
The first KiScons were house parties hosted by Ginna LaCroix around Columbus Day. The first three were held between 1980 and 1982. They were invitation only events and the invites were handled by Carol Frisbie and Susan K. James.
After the first few conventions, KiScon went into hiatus mode until they resumed in 1999, 2001 and 2004 under the stewardship of Jenna Sinclair.
The convention was held in 2008 in Los Angeles, organized by Kathy Resch.
KiScon 2013 was run by Blackbird Song in Boston.
The 2015 KiScon took place in Seattle, Washington and was co-chaired by Judy Suryan and Amanda Warrington.
The 2017 KiScon was held in Los Angeles 15 to 17 September 2017, once again co-chaired by Rhaegal and Amanda Warrington.
The next KiScon will take place in Seattle again, 1-3 November 2019, co-chaired by Judy Suryan and Larissa Bernstein.
Approximately 25 fans attended the first KiScon.
KiScon 1980: Con Reports
K/S Con was an invitation-only house party. Carol F. and Susan J. were in charge, and Ginna L. was the host, as she was the caretaker of the house where the parties were held. They were held in the fall, around Columbus Day weekend. I believe they ran for three years, in 1980, 1981, and 1982. Carol and Susan invited Barbara and myself. I asked about including Nancy, and she was invited as well. I will never forget my first K/S Con and this was true of room parties as well. A whole bunch of us went down. There were five people in a car, along with sleeping bags, clothing, and, because the house was empty, we had to bring everything—towels, soap— everything we needed for the weekend. The car was absolutely jammed; you could not have gotten another thing in that car. Bev and Nancy brought most of the food. They wrote a funny poem about the preparation for K/S Con and read it there... We played other parlor games like charades; or we had different titles for the episodes. We had a treasure hunt. Often we would just sit around and talk about zines and stories. There were a lot of well known fans. [L H] brought her husband the first time. He was the only male there. He was a nice guy and he liked slash. He fit in very well, but the next year they invited [L] but not her husband. [L] was very disappointed and asked me, “Didn't you feel he was okay?” I felt comfortable with him, but Carol F. said some people had felt intimidated because a man was there. There were about 25 people at the first K/S Con. There was the whole “Contact.” The second one was a bit bigger. Beverly Sutherland and Kathy Resch were there, as well as most of the people from the first one. At the second K/S Con, Carol F. addressed the fact that the party couldn't get any bigger because of the capacities of the house (plumbing, etc.)... There were music videos and showings of William Shatner’s “Alexander the Great.” At the first one people also brought male/male porn. Carol F. didn't care for this; the written word was okay but she didn't approve of visual images. She felt the porn was distracting people from the purpose of K/S Con, so she outlawed the showing of porn movies at the second party. At the third party, we had a male stripper. 
First of all, the "original" K/S Con, held at "Ginna's Retreat" in Boyds, Maryland. We put on this "mini-con" or "writer's Seminar", as some liked to call it, for six years, from 1980 through 1986. For our final year (which we'd determined it would be), we wanted to go out with a big noise. So very covertly, the committee arranged a surprise for the attendees. Carol F. and S.K. James contracted with a service (I didn't even know they had services like this!) to hire a male stripper to come out and entertain. We provided the gold command shirt, told them we wanted him to appear as Kirk and start off to the Star Trek theme music. He would arrive at a certain time on Saturday evening.
Because of how isolated the house was, and how difficult to find in the dark (and believe me, it got DARK out there at night!), Carol and S. K. J. agreed to meet him up at the main highway and drive him from there to the house. Which they did. Meanwhile, we'd been telling everyone all day that we had a "special game" that we'd be playing that night, which we called "the Pocketbook Game". Normally, all the girls left their purses up in their rooms, but since we knew they'd want to "tip" our dancer, they'd need their money available. So that's why we called it that, told them to be sure and bring their pocketbooks down after dinner. . .
After our stripper arrived and we settled on a place for him to change (which he did between each number) and provided him with the shirt, he was led out into the main room, the sunken living room of the house, where all the ladies were parked on folding chairs, chaise lounges, and other assorted seating. This guy, couldn't have been more than in his early twenties, did present a fine Kirk-like image. He came out in the requisite costume with the taped Alexander Courage theme to start it off and in just a few minutes, everyone realized what was going on! But his first dance was over cut by the poor lad's fear! You could see it in his eyes and in the stilted way he moved.
Imagine it from his point of view: Here he is, led out these dark, deserted roads to a house in the middle of nowhere. Thirty-some women are waiting, crouched, expectant. I think he was sure he was about to be taken by a ritual cult and be murdered and dismembered right on the spot!! It was probably one of the most bizarre gigs he ever played! Once he saw we were all normal and had good intentions (and began collecting those tips), he loosened up and danced two more sets. Some friends tipped him to play up to Marion, who was lying back in a chaise lounge with her bare feet raised and literally twiddling her thumbs rapidly. Marion was quite chaste in those days, rather prudish, (discovering slash changed that!) and we knew she wouldn't want to draw the attention of the dancer to herself, so it was done for her. Her reactions were priceless! He stood directly in front of her and twiddled his thumbs, too, as he danced.He actually made a moment or two for everyone there; he was good and he knew what he was doing. He even "rose to the occasion" when he planted a passionate kiss on one of our youngest attendees! Between each number he went back to the guest house and I guess sponged off the sweat he'd raised, and apparently applied baby powder, because each time he came out, he carried the distinct aroma with him. Very nice! In any case, a good time was had by all and our surprise was a big success! 
Attendance grew at the second KiScon. Eventually, "Carol Frisbie addressed the fact that the party couldn't get any bigger because of the capacities of the house (plumbing, etc.)"  In attendance were Beverly Sutherland, Kathy Resch, Carol Hunterton, Ellen Kobrin, Nan Lewis, Marguerite Marasculo, Laurie Huff, Barbara Storey, Vicki Clark, Jean Ensling, [Billie Phillips], Nancy M., Bev Volker and Nancy Kippax, April Valentine, Marion McChesney, Terry Sylvester, Carolyn Venino, Merle Decker, and Diana King.
KiScon 1990: Puzzle Book
This con appears to have generated a puzzle zine. The zine is undated, but one of the illos has the date 1990 on it.
See KiScon Puzzle Book.
- it was billed as the first KiScon as it was the first open convention, unlike the invite only small gatherings that took place in the 1980s.
- it was held in Texas at the Wilson World Hotel in March, 1999
- convention reports can be found archived here.
- the convention performed Lezlie Shell's skit “Not Spock's Brain”, that had been written for Escapade a few years earlier.
- 14 panels were offered: Pornography! Are we reading and writing it?; The Love Boat: Is there a conflict between True Love and Military Responsibility?; A roundtable discussion of The Writer’s Life; Crack! Slam! Bonk! Why do we love to hurt them so?; Character Assassination! Kirk (or Spock or McCoy) would never do that!; Who’s that? Where? Talking about the different genres of K/S; Identity Crisis. If you had to choose, who and where would you be: Kirk or Spock, on the top or on the bottom?; Who would you be, Kirk or Spock, on top or bottom?; Violence in K/S; Is Spock a virgin?; Are Kirk and Spock Gay?; The Colors of Love: K/S art and how we adore it. Why are we so Obsessed?, along with panels on the writing process and fan art.
- the K/S themed cake was rectangular with a green shell border and in the the center it had an illo by DWE from the 1990s: Kirk and Spock in the shower, trimmed in black icing.
KiSCon 1999: Vid Show
The following playlist is from the 1999 vid show.
- Eye Of The Tiger By T'Rhys
- Wild One By T'Rhys (music: by Christopher Otcasek)
- Old Souls By Gayle F And Kathy Resch (music: Jessica Harper)
- Red Baron By Kandy Fong (music: The Royal Guardsmen)
- One Is The Loneliest Number by The Z Team?? (music: Three Dog Night)
- I Am Your Captain by S/M Videos (music: Grand Funk Railroad)
- Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Caren Parnes (music: Bonnie Tyler)
- 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover by Kandy Fong (music: Paul Simon)
- Its All Coming Back To Me Now sung by Celine Dion, vid by Kandy Fong
- The Dream Is Still Alive sung by Wilson Phillips, vid by Sarah Adams
- I Did It My Way sung By Elvis Presley. Date 1987. Vid by Shane Shellenbarger
- The Wind Beneath My Wings - ? (music: Bette Midler)
- No Satisfaction by Kandy Fong (music: The Rolling Stones)
- Old Friends/Bookends by PRZed. Date 1992 (music: Simon & Garfunkel)
- Every Road Leads Back To You; vid by California Crew??? (music: Bette Midler)
- Star Trekkin’ by Kandy Fong (music: Grupo Impulso) (this vid has also been attributed to The Z Team or California Crew)
- Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better by Kandy Fong (Kirk/Riker) (music: Ethel Merman)
- A Mocked Time. A 15 Minute Slideshow By Kandy Fong feat. A Medley Of Songs (partial list)
- Right Place Wrong Time- Dr. John
- Love Potion No. 9 - The Clovers
- No More Mr. Nice Guy - Live Version - Alice Cooper
- Love Is Strange - Mickey & Sylvia
- I'm Not In Love - 10cc
- Physical - Olivia Newton-John
- All by Myself - Eric Carmen
- The Logical Song - Supertramp
- Do You Want To Know A Secret - The Beatles
- Just a Dream - Jimmy Clanton
- Lookin' For Love - Johnny Lee
- Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino
- Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - Rod Stewart
- I Get Around (Mono) - The Beach Boys
- Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles
- Light My Fire - The Doors
- 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
- Where The Boys Are - Connie Francis
- Bye Bye Love - The Everly Brothers
- The Girl Is Mine - Michael Jackson
- The Great Pretender - The Platters
- I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home (Live) - Grand Funk Railroad
- Help! - Live - The Beatles
- Blowin' In the Wind - Bob Dylan
- Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
- Wake Up Little Susie - The Everly Brothers
- Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
- Beat It - Single Version - Michael Jackson
- See You Later Alligator - Bill Haley & His Comets
- My World Is Empty Without You - The Supremes
- The Logical Song - Supertramp
- On the Road Again - Willie Nelson
- Midnight Blue by ? (music: Louise Tucker)
- The Way We Were by ? (music: Soundtrack Version Barbra Streisand)
- In The Air Tonight By T'Rhys (1994)
KiScon 1999: Con Reports
Deanna, Maelen, Kaki, Laura, everyone, please forgive the lack of visual descriptions on this report. I could just scream, because there was so much beautiful art work on K&S that I won't be able to describe. I hope some people are able to receive the K/S Press in hard copy, as most likely the next issue will have pictures of the art work and activities. This memorable event was held in Dallas TX, at the Wilson World Hotel. I had to take two planes each way, and I'm scared to death of flying. But the con was more than worth every nerve racking air pocket. Of course, having a couple of slash stories to read while on board the aircrafts didn't hurt matters, as they kept me somewhat distracted from the anxiety. The only thing I noticed was this sudden need to have lots of cold, very cold beverages. That ice cube bath that Killa and Greywolf discussed prior to the writing of Crazy Fingers would have come in handy. (Laugh.) My eternal gratitude to the writers of Water Hole, Out of the Big Black, Buttercup, Rhapsody, and Rain Pour O'er Me. Yes, yes, yes, I confess! I read a P/Q story while on my way to a K/S Con. I hope K&S won't consider that cheating, because I can't even say the experience with P&Q meant nothing to me. What can I say? I guess I can't always be a two man woman. (Grin.) I was met at the airport by Jenna and Shelley, and though we'd never seen each other before, they had no problems locating me. I arrived on thursday and the con was to begin the following day, (March 26, Leonard Nimoy's birthday.) But even the night before we got a taste of the things to come during the convention. there was a little stage set up with some marionettes of Spock and Kirk in the hospitality suite. The idea was for people to create little scenes with the puppets, putting them in rather compromising situations. There was video equipment set up to tape the skits. Unfortunately, I left on the very day that the skits were to be shown, as I had to work on Monday. The stage settings were interesting. Spock's room had all this red drapery. I found myself remembering a story called The Red Room, which appeared on ASCEM about a year ago. There were huge cardboard cutouts of Kirk and Spock on the bed. Some of us had our pictures taken lying next to the cutout of our preference, stroking them in all the appropriate places. Spock couldn't have looked more relaxed. (Grin.) You'd swear he'd never again have to worry about pon farr. The first day's activities began with a panel on the K/S relationship and its evidence in canon. The discussion was similar to that in ASCEM, where specific scenes in TOS were closely examined. We each got a souvenir zine with the poems and stories submitted for the K/S writing contest. Congratulations to the people that won. The video room was well stocked, with TOS montages depicting the K/S relationship, K/S music videos, as well as movies and shows where Leonard and Bill had appeared. I'm sorry to have missed the Strigas Affair from the Man from U N C L E, but I think that watching that bath tub scene of Leonard's in Cat Low more than made up for it. I hear that if you play the movie on a machine that shows the frames individually one can see *everything!* Oh yum! Nothing like the sight of Nimoy's gorgeous lean body rising from that bath tub. (Sigh.) How appropriate to view this before bed. My gratitude to the ladies who described the visuals on this. You know who you are. The birthday bash was delightful. Jenna and other ladies were generous to provide us with K/S birthday gifts. There was a candy dish somewhere, well stocked with pink and green chocolate penises. I chose the green one, of course. It looked quite substantial. I haven't had mine yet, but hear these come with cream in the middle to simulate the substance in the real ones. (Blush.) Now if those chocolatiers would only remember to make the green ones with double ridges! Instead of playing "Pin the cock on Spock", we were each given red lips with adhesive in the back, to place them on the body parts of the boys that uh, we were most interested in. By the time we were done, there wasn't any area of their bodies that didn't have a pair of lips stamped on it. I focused my attention on Spock, but there were plenty of ladies more than ready to attend to Kirk's desires. The boys got roughly the same amount of kisses. Our special guests didn't pop out of the cake, but were on it, in all their naked glory. A very talented lady from Houston did these icing figures of Spock and Kirk standing in a shower spooning each other. Mmmmmmmmm!! Worth ignoring the calory count people! Jenna and Dusky delighted us with some K/S filks. somebody needs to get "[What Do We Do With A Drunken Vulcan]]" on tape. It's a riot! It was nice to see S.R. Benjamin at the con. We didn't meet till the birthday bash. Jadona Walker drove from LA to get there. (tipping my hat to the tenacious lady.) During the panels, parties, and other activities Shelley Butler kept treating us to these hilarious reports from StarFleet's Quartermaster on Kirk's requests for a water bed, a Vulcan oak bed, and lubricant. Hope they get published in the next issue of the K/S Press. On Saturday morning there was a most interesting panel by two Scottish ladies, Fiona James and Ray Newton regarding the early days of K/S. I had no idea the first K/S stories were so tentative. It seems that the first writers didn't even know that the closeness between the characters would take on a romantic dimension. I was impressed by the difficulties these ladies experienced finding other fans of K/S. The political climate was such that you paid a rather steep price if identified as a "slasher". One of the ladies told a story of how her package of K/S zines from the U.S. had been confiscated by British Customs. Luckily, the bureaucrat who opened it thought she had no idea of what she was receiving. Had that not been the case, her job would have been on the line, at the very least. Listening to Fiona and Ray was a most sobering and humbling experience. Sometimes seeing the stories and discussions generated on the net regarding slash makes me forget about how difficult life can still be for the people who write this stuff. One lady from Oklahoma spoke of needing to keep her K/S zines under lock and key, given that from time to time the police takes to raiding video stores containing films not proscribed anywhere else. In one instance they grabbed the list of customers and went after the people who'd rented an "objectionable" film. Those repressive days of your [sic] are not yet over, and I'm grateful for the reminder. I could've kicked myself for not taking my Guinan costume to wear at the Dress Uniform Party. Well it's not exactly like what Guinan wore on the Enterprise. My costume looks like something designed by Q. (Laugh.) Anyway, the people that did pack early and brought their costumes were quite creative. One woman used this glittery thread to make the webbing that was on Miranda Jones' dress. After seeing the Vulcan robe someone was wearing, I felt like I needed a change of wardrobe. (Grin.) Jenna sang a rather haunting song about Spock's meld with Kirk to make him forget the pain of losing Rena. There was a certain desert flavor to the melody. The other songs were very nice, but I liked that one the most. Jenna brought her play dough to the party, and some ladies engaged in a rather interesting penis making exercise. Their creations would put any xenobiology illustrator to shame. If you hated "spock's Brain" don't toss it yet. Shelley buttler and other ladies used the ep to put together a hysterical skit entitled "The Search for Spock's Cock." God I hope someone videoed that! The hotel was very nice. the rooms were comfortable, clean, and inexpensive. The hot tub was conveniently located near the video room. I must say that I didn't mind succumbing to the warmth of the water, as I replayed the image of Leonard bathing in Cat Low. (Sigh.) I roomed with two lovely ladies who are dedicated Leonard fans. guess what we talked about! All in all, it was a wonderful slumber party. My gratitude to the ladies who organized it. If another K/S con is held, I'll be happy to bite the bullet and jump on another plane to get there. 
Where to start? What to say about one of the most wonderful cons I have ever attended? We took a vacation and swam in the sensual waters of K/S and the basked in the heat of Kirk and Spock and ate in the all-consuming, delicious world of K/S. Hey! Who says I never use metaphors?
Every day and night was filled with terrific activities and things to do—especially memorable was meeting so many K/Sers whose names I’ve only seen in zines for years. Actually seeing these people in person for the first time was really an extraordinary experience.... So many events went on at the same time that no one could do everything, so I can only tell the highlights of my own experience....
- the main thing I want to say is that this was the most unique event for a K/Ser. For three days and nights the whole group of us got to immerse ourselves in Kirk and Spock. No one could have prepared me for the level of energy that flowed, nor at the same time, the huge sense of relaxation that came with the freedom to talk about Kirk and Spock so openly and freely without the constraints of regular life...
- I attended fascinating panel discussions on Kirk and Spock’s relationship, on what K/S means to me and got involved in many lively arguments such as how wonderful Command Decision is and why (because certain people with absolutely no taste whose name startswithaJandendswithanNandhasaOANin the middle don’t appreciate its finer qualities) and whether Kirk and/or Spock are gay. I got to lead one of the panels dealing with K/S art which was so fun to be able to express my feelings about drawing and how my emotions get so tied in with the subject matter. Drawing them is a lot like writing about them, I realized, in that I think about them deeply and focus all my attention on them....
- every attendee got a marvelous goody bag filled with Star Trek playing and trading cards, a notepad, a pen, two flexible bandages, the contest zine, an envelope to mail in your vote of the contest zine, a number that represented the birthday gift you’d receive, chocolate kisses and a box of crackers. Friday night was the gift exchange night in honor of K/S birthday and the gift exchanging was hilarious! You could exchange one gift only twice and certain gifts were highly coveted like a Star Trek tricorder or a gold embossed log book. But the highlight was Dianne’s birthday K/S cake that she herself had frosted with a gorgeous DEW picture of Kirk and Spock in their naked best....
- Saturday morning we all joined for a breakfast buffet and eagerly anticipated the opening of the dealers’ room. The whole day was taken up with the frenzied buying of so many new and old zines and collectibles...
- Also during the day, the Reading Room was open with lots of good zines and the Video Room was going with lots of videos that I missed! Can’t do everything— even though I wanted to and all at the same time, too....
- Of course, all through the day, the Hospitality Suite was open and it was stocked with lots of delicious food including Robin’s whole wheat chocolate chip cookies (“They’re good for you, so eat lots of them”) and butterscotch cookies. This doesn’t count the tray of vegetables and dip and chips and fruits and cheese and peanut butter and.... And Jo and Liz’s shocking and delicious (or is that shockingly delicious?) candy penises. What would any hospitality suite be without the life sized cardboard Kirk and Spock (from Carol Davis, of course) that someone (Terri and Carol?) put into the bed under the covers and stuck a cigarette in Spock’s mouth and a dialogue balloon near Kirk’s mouth: “Was it good for you?”....
- And the marionettes of Kirk, Spock and McCoy with a setting of Spock’s Vulcan quarters with a red velvet bed and various accoutrements hanging on the red curtained backdrop! Claudia G. and I had a great time with it and we were going to do a scenario that would have been videotaped, but we never had the time. We kept seeing each other for two days and saying “Oh, we’ll meet later to rehearse.” It would have been glorious...! Use your imagination to know what went on in that bedroom ...
- After a delicious buffet dinner (vegetable lasagna— my fav), the entertainment began with fun and games like a Play-Dough Vulcan Cock Making contest (you just had to see the results!) and prizes. The festivities were interrupted with that surprise “This Is Your Life, Jenna Sinclair” I mentioned above and then Jenna, Dusky, M.E. Carter, and Marci performed some gorgeous songs with guitar and oboe accompaniment. Then I got to participate in a play that Lezlie Shell wrote called “Not Spock’s Brain”, so you know what part of Spock’s anatomy it was that those pesky aliens stole. The most hilarious part was the entrance of Fiona James playing Scotty. The moment this lady opened her mouth and that Scottish brogue came out, everyone, including me, was on the floor. And I recall saying my lines to Cathy P. who played Spock and to Karen Dates who played McCoy and Michelle Arvizu who played Chekov (with the cutest Russian accent!). The whole play was absolutely wild and afterwards it was all a blur (Brain? Brain? What is brain?)... 
- ...there were fantastic, spirited panels going on at all times, and the video room, and the reading room, and the dealer’s room open certain times. Getting the new zines was great; and treasures of the collectibles kind. It was fun being able to sell my duplicates at the community collectibles table, too. I wish I could have joined in all the panels, from Why are we so obsessed, to Who would you be, Kirk or Spock, on top or bottom? to Violence in K/S to the writing process to art to...there were 14 panels and each one was wonderful. And wonderful Lezlie kept us in line on timing, etc., because of course we could talk for days about each of these subjects. Nothing better than to have a place where continual discussions on specific K/S subjects was going on.
- I didn’t by any means find enough time to hang out watching the songtapes and various ST, WS and LN videos, but there was absolutely great stuff being shown. All the songtapes most of us have seen were wonderful, but there’s also a gorgeous “K/S Moments” tape by Linda Wan. The Friday night K/S Birthday party was so fun, and we all got the presents! I hope there are enough photos by everyone. That was one amusing sight—the whole room of us in our little paper party hats from the “crackers” provided by our Britishers. Then, according to the numbers in our con bags, we got up and each said a few words of introduction and got our presents and pinned the kisses on the Kirk and Spock, oh yes. And then got to “steal” each other’s presents. And the Saturday night fancy-dress party was fabulous! I personally love costuming, and this was either costumes or “Sunday best” or any other creative thing. What a splendid group of women! We are 20- something to 70-something. Is this fun or what?
- And the skit, “Not Spock’s Brain” by Lezlie. You can imagine what body part this was about, then, if not his brain. This was more than hilarious. I’m sorry I can’t quite remember everyone who was in it, but each was fabulous in her part (and it was a special treat to have a real Scot do the Scotty part). You’ve got to see, though, Shelley Butler as James Kirk. A very happy Shelley Butler, in her meaning of the word. One particularly creative thing was Dianne’s set of K/S drawings by various people--mostly explicitly sexual--which she made into collages inserting photos of herself! These have to be seen to be believed. I also laughed till my face was sore when playing with the Kirk and Spock marionettes, with Carol D’s fabulous sets--the Vulcan bedroom in all its glorious detail, and a bridge set with a center seat just ripe for trysts.... Another bridge set in the hospitality suite provided the backdrop for the Kirk and Spock fully- jointed action figures to do their very creative thing.
- One of my favorite things was late Sunday night in the hospitality suite, when Jenna was telling us beautiful pre-K/S stories from old genzines most of us hadn’t read. She’s got that steel-trap memory, and it was such a pleasure lounging around listening to these beautiful, intense K/S love stories. 
- it was held in Texas at the Holiday Inn Select Airport South in March, 2001
- The K/S Press 56 (April 2001) has many con reports
- additional convention reports can be found archived here.
- panels included: Oh, Spock, Harder!: Sex scenes we have known and loved, “Into the Pit: Tales from the Fanzine Editors," a poetry panel with Robin Hood and Kathy Stanis, Shelley Butler hosted a panel on fan art, Virgina Sky offered a panel on photo-manips.
- Jenna Sinclair wrote the 45 minutes con skit Cinder-Spock. The play translated the “Cinderella” story into the K/S scenario with a large glass cock-ring substituting for a glass slipper
- the themed cake this year sported a DEW illo of Kirk and Spock were lying on the bed with penis shaped candies on the border of the cake that were green and pink.
KiScon 2001: Art Show
From a con report published in KS Press #56:
"The art contest had more than twenty entries, and it was difficult to decide with all this luscious new art. Some voters were compelled to go back and look at the entries over and over again. Their drool marks hardly made any stains on the art at all.... When the winners were tallied, Liz from England had made a clean sweep of all three
places. Lovers' Passion won third place, Bath Time took second, and the much-admired Lonely Warrior took first place. Congratulations to Liz, and hope she enjoys thezine gift certificate and other prizes."
KiScon 2001: Vid ShowFrom a con report published in KS Press #56:
"The songtape contest was a big success with more than an hour of new songtapes to enjoy. They were first shown on Friday night after the Birthday Bash and then re-shown on Saturday afternoon, so everybody had a chance to see, and re-see, their favorites. Third place went to The Story of My Life by Karen P. Second place went to a compelling song called "The Call and the Answer," perhaps one of the most K/S-like songs ever written. That was also created by Karen P.. And first place went to Wild Thing! by Liz W, with one of the most creative uses of Amok Time footage weVe seen. If you run the part where they are fighting on the sand backwards and in slow motion, guess what it looks like? Since first and second places were so close, both songtape creators got first place certificates for $20 towards a K/S zine from any K/S editor. We hope to compile all the entries on a tape that will be available for KSP subscribers to buy, but it won't be until after Shore Leave. Karen has a few more songs she wants to add to her group, and that's when it will be ready. So all of Liz's and Karen's vids will be available at that time."
- was held March 26 - 28, 2004 2004 in Irving, Texas.
- it was billed as the third KisCon
- a website was set up. An archived copy can be found here.
- held May 2 - 4, 2008 at the Airtel Plaza Hotel in Van Nuys/Los Angeles, California
- Fan Guests of Honor: Gayle F. and Jenna Sinclair
- a copy of the archived website can be found here
- programming included panels, a Vid Show, an Art Show, a Dealer's Room (Saturday only), and Friday and Saturday night parties
- “Traditional Stories vs Cliches” (Do you have some storylines you can read over and over again and never get tired of? )
- “Pimping K/S” (What episodes would you show to “prove” K/S?)
- “Flawed Heroes” (Kirk and Spock embody the best of heroic tradition. But they are both very complex men, and have had their differences along the way, from the times during TOS when Spock has challenged or questioned Kirk’s decisions (“Arena”, “The Apple”, “The Way to Eden”, etc.), right up to Star Trek VI. Fanfic writers have often explored “the dark side” of Kirk and Spock, from dealing with Tarsus, to the many “why Spock went to Gol” stories, to stories dealing with the distance between then in ST6. How might these differences make it difficult for them to get together in the first place? How would their differences affect their relationship “after the first time”? What do you like/dislike in these sorts of stories?)
- “Star Trek 11” (How will having entirely new actors play Kirk & Spock affect the fandom?)
- held June 24-26 2011 in Los Angeles, California
- Fan Guests of Honor: Kathy Resch and seperis
- from the online flyer: "... celebrate 45 years of the epic romance between Kirk and Spock, the pairing that invented slash fandom and remains the most enduring! Over the years, fanfiction has taken Kirk and Spock through the Mirror Universe, Alternate Universes, and now we have the Reboot Universe. In 2011, we mark their 45th anniversary with a celebration of K/S in all
- the charity auction rasied $755.37 to the AIDS Research Alliance, and $271.79 killabeez towards the up-keep of the K/S Archive. its incarnations."
KiSCon 2011: Panels/Programming
- 9am Why did Spock go to Gol? (TOS)
- 10am Who tops and bottoms? (TOS/reboot)
- 10am Finding TOS fic (TOS)
- 11am How did you come into K/S fandom? (TOS/reboot)
- 11am The impact of Spock/Uhura in reboot (reboot)
- 12pm An intro to TOS for reboot fans (TOS)
- 12pm The outing of slash (TOS/reboot)
- 1pm Break for Lunch
- 2pm Episode viewing & discussion #1 - Journey to Babel (to 3.30pm) (TOS)
- 2pm Why aren’t there more AUs in reboot fandom? (reboot)
- 3pm Zines: past, present and future (TOS) (Presentation by zine editors Kathy Resch & Alayne)
- 4pm How do TOS and reboot characterisations differ? (TOS/reboot)
- 4pm The mirrorverse (TOS/reboot)
- 5pm K/S in the ‘old days’ (TOS) (Presentation by Guest of Honor, Kathy)
- 6:30 Meet the Guests of Honor
- 7pm Break for Dinner
- 8pm Opening Ceremony (Opening Ceremony to include fun activities such as an ice-breaker, games and quizzes with prizes)
- 9am TOS round robin (TOS)
- 9am Kirk/Spock/McCoy (TOS/reboot)
- 10am History of K/S art (to 11.30am) (TOS/reboot) (Presentation by artists Caren Parnes & Gayle F.)
- 10am Popular tropes in TOS/reboot (
- 11.30am The Science of Star Trek (General) (Presentation by astronomer)
- 12pm The TOS timeline (TOS) (Caren Parnes)
- 1pm Break for Lunch
- 2pm Episode viewing & discussion #2 - City on the Edge of Forever (to 3:30) (TOS)
- 2pm How to write good sex (TOS/reboot)
- 3pm Why is K/S so enduring? (TOS/reboot) (Kathy & Alayne)
- 3.30pm How to photomanip (General) (Presentation by artist)
- 4pm Is RPS OK? (TOS/reboot)
- 5pm What goes into making a vid (General) (Gayle & Caren)
- 5pm Transferring K/S to the net - ethics (General)
- 7pm Babel Banquet & vid show (Babel Banquet to include CosPlay 'Most Favored Costume' competition and prize-giving)
- 9am Are controversial TOS eps still controversial/relevant? (TOS)
- 9am Reboot round robin (reboot) (Ash)
- 10am Art Auction (led by Caren)
- 11am Vid show discussion (TOS/reboot)
- 11am Taboos in K/S fiction (TOS/reboot)
- 12pm Reboot meta (reboot) (Presentation by Guest of Honour seperis
- 12pm Fiction inspiration of early K/S fans (Gayle & Kathy)
- 1pm Break for Lunch
- 2pm Ebook hardware (General)
- 2pm Episode viewing & discussion #3-Amok Time (to 3.30) (TOS)
- 3pm What K/S story had the greatest impact on you? (TOS/reboot)
- 4pm Closing Ceremony
- 5pm Dead Dog Party
KiSCon 2011: Con Reports
The convention gift bag included "second hand Star Trek books from a couple of book dealers on ebay, so everyone got a Star Trek novel, together with their name badge, KiScon program booklet.....a lovely KiScon button designed by tracionn, a hand-made KiScon bookmark by another (non-LJ) attendee, KarraAnn, Belgian chocolates from Evi, a K/S fridge magnet (made by rhaegal) and a voucher to spend in the dealer's room."
- The Opening Cermony and Friday Night Entertainment: "Friday evening was the official opening ceremony. As everyone sat down, it was lovely to see people who have been going to K/S cons for over twenty five years sitting side by side with con first-timers. All day we'd run panels, some of which were TOS or reboot specific, but most of which were both, with no boundaries between the fans - everyone enjoying the discussions immensely. It really was IDIC in motion, and such a lovely sight to see. We started the Opening Ceremony with this awesome vid  by rhaegal just to set the tone of the weekend and get some excitement going.
- After that, we wanted people to break the ice, so we'd pre-arranged people into teams and played some games. The first involved finding out the things people had in common and putting them on a flip chart - the whackier the better! After that, we did a quiz and then finally a game where we divided each team into threes, where number ones had to draw a picture of a word, number twos had to make a word out of play-dough and number threes had to act the word out. All the ones were given the same word, then all the twos were and so on. Round one we kept fairly simply, but round two, they had to draw rimming, make a Vulcan kiss out of play-dough and act out sex in the captain's chair. I thought I was going to burst a blood vessel I was laughing so hard at the antics around the room - it was completely hilarious! The winning team were each given vouchers to spend in the dealer's room.
- We finished off the evening with a delicious red velvet cake with K/S icing from a picture by Suzan Lovett which graced the cover of Jenna Sinclair's zine, Legacy 2 - with both of their kind permissions - which we'd had especially made for the con.
- Saturday held another series of events: This was the day designated 'cosplay' day, with some people wearing their costumes all day, while others waited until the evening to show off their creations. We also ran a 'Design Spock's Cock' competition, encouraging people to come up with 2D and 3D creations from stuff we'd bought especially. It was hilarious watching people coming up with designs!"
- Saturday night was the "Babel Banquet - with either costume or formal attire requested. Gayle F. kindly donated packs of gift cards with a selection of her artwork on them, and rhaegal had made up a program for each person with the menu and a list of the vids to be shown after the meal. We also included three tokens at each setting for everyone to hand to the people whose costumes they liked the most with the person with the greatest number winning a special KiScon mug and vouchers for the dealers room. That turned out to be lyricoloratura who came as an amazing Andorian complete with blue skin and antennae with marymonroe coming in runner-up with her Marlena from the mirror!verse costume."
- The Saturday night vid show: "After that excitement, we darkened the room for the vid show, which I'd spent the previous six weeks getting together with the help of an amazing group comprising Kathy Resch, Gayle F, Caren Parnes, Morgan Dawn, Mary Van Deusen, killabeez and Kandy Fong. We ended up with almost twenty fanvids, including some of the very first ones made in the early 80s, some of which had been remastered, (and wonderfully, several of those vidders, such as Caren Parnes and Gayle F were at the con), as well as those made especially for the con by bersakhi and spirktrekker42. The show was amazing, not just because of the fantastic vids, but the energy in the room, with everyone laughing at the funny moments, crying during sad moments and singing along to the songs. It was a really magical evening." 
- From another attendee: "I didn't get to see much of the con itself - I sat in for most of the writing sex and vid panels, which were really fun, but if anyone posts reviews of other panels please link me as I'd really like to know what actually happened at this con! I also got to watch Amok Time with a full room of K/S fans, which was so much fun. The opening ceremony itself was probably the high point of the con for me - the energy level in the room, and seeing all the older and newer fans mixing together and the hilarity of people trying to draw rimming and model a blow job with playdoh, or act out sex in the captain's chair - I really wish we'd been filming that! The banquet and vidshow on Saturday night was also great fun, although my green makeup didn't survive the density of ST3 vids! Some of the costumes were really spectacular, especially the Andorian who won the costume contest (I don't know if she's on LJ - any ideas?), and marymonroe's the gorgeous mirrorverse Marlena who came in second." ~ 
- arminaa's convention report with photos is here.
- seperis "kiscon 2011' convention reports are posted here.
KiSCon 2011: Art Show
- Images from the convention's art show (click for larger versions)
KiSCon 2011: Vid Show
- KisCon Opening Ceremony 2011 by rhaegal
- Razzle Dazzle by Killa & T. Jonsey (TOS)
- Total Eclipse of the Heart by Caren Parnes (TOS)
- Samson by Michelle (TOS)
- Even Brighter Than The Moon by Ryulix (Star Trek (2009))
- I Dreamed a Dream by Chris Soto (TOS)
- My Best Friend by Jessica Tominez (Filk)
- Naturally by spirktrekker42 (Star Trek (2009))
- Wind Beneath My Wings by Linda Brandt (TOS)
- I Want To Hold Your Hand by bersakhi (TOS)
- You Belong With Me by circeve (Star Trek (2009))
- Born This Way by spirktrekker42 (Star Trek (2009))
- The One by Gayle F. and Morgan Dawn (Multifandom)
- Leave You On The Pavement by Michelle (Star Trek (2009))
- Crossroads by Mary Van Deusen (TOS)
- Now We Are Free by bersakhi (TOS) (inspired by Killa's story "Bitter Glass")
- Forget by darlaprOduction (Star Trek (2009))
- Dante's Prayer (remastered) by Killa & T. Jonsey (TOS)
- The Test by heresluck (Star Trek (2009))
- Hallelujah by gin1119 (TOS)
- Its Friday Night by estalitall (TOS)
- HeadLOCKHearT by Keriaty (Star Trek (2009))/(TOS)
- Old Souls by Gayle F and Kathy Resch (TOS)
KiScon 2012 was held June 29th - July 1st 2012, Buckinghamshire, UK.
KiSCon 2012: Programming
- Registration and Open House
- Opening Ceremony
- Pub Quiz
- Is Spock a virgin? A lot of fic assumes that Kirk is Spock's first, but how likely is that to be true? Does he have a string of past lovers? If he lost his virginity during the series, was it to Kirk or to one of his women-of-the-week? What is it about virgin Spock stories that make the trope so popular? Mod: Blackbird Song
- Round Robin - Reboot. Collectively create a story by adding sentences or paragraphs in turn. Mods" Jaylee, Dracavia
- 10:00. I'm a doctor, not a relationship counsellor! What is Doctor McCoy's role in K/S fanfiction, and how does he relate to Kirk and Spock? Mods: SORAL, Beederiffic
- 11:00 Break
- 11:15. Trope or cliché? Aliens Made Them Do It, Sex Pollen, Everyone Thinks We're Doing It, Fake/Forced Marriage and/or Bonding: Certain plots appear time and again in K/S fiction. Do you enjoy reading different takes on these tropes, or have they become clichés? What's the difference between a trope and a cliché? Mods: Larissa Bernstein and weebeanie
- My mind to your mind...Telepathy, mind melds and bonding a frequently strong components of K/S fic, and are often treated as highly romantic. What would it really be like to have a telepathic partner? And what would be the challenges for a Vulcan of bonding with a non-telepath? Carenp and Blackbird Song
- Movie-era K/S. The first six Star Trek movies, observed with slash goggles, present Kirk and Spock's story as an epic romance. What are your favourite types of movie-era fic, and what would you like to see more of? Mods: KarraAnn aka LJ: CJMasters
- 13:00 Lunch
- 14:00 Why K/S? Often cited as the first slash pairing, K/S is certainly one of the most enduring. What drew you to the pairing, and what keeps you here? Mods: Carenp
- 15:00. Looking forward to STXII. With a new movie due out next year, what are we looking forward to, and what are we afraid of? How is new canon going to affect K/S fandom? Mods: KarraAnn aka LJ: CJMasters
- The end of the Five Year Mission. What happened at the end of the mission to send Spock to Gol? What about the decade or so that passes between The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan? Mods: Carenp
- 15:45 Break
- 16:00 The Science of Planet-Building. Astronomer Rhaegal presents the latest results on planets outside the Solar System, and discusses what affects the habitability of planets and how they can be presented more realistically in fanfiction. Mods: Rhaegal
- Vulcan sexuality. From pon farr to hand porn: how does Vulcan sexuality differ from Human, both in canon and fanon? Mods: SORAL
- Fan writing to professional author. Fan writers going professional has become a hot topic. Are you considering it? Tips on how to, plus the pros and cons. Mods: Amanda Warrington and Beederiffic
- 19:30 Babel Banquet Featuring the Costume Competition
- 21:00 Vid Show. Mod: DarlaProduction (the closing ceremony vid was Kirk/Spock: The Epic Love Story)
- Kirk Prime. Many K/S fans feel bad that Spock Prime is stuck in a universe with out 'his' Kirk. How have stories convincingly got him to the reboot universe? What other viable methods can people think of? Mods: Blackbird Song
- Round Robin - TOS. Collectively create a story by adding sentences or paragraphs in turn. Mods: Eleanor
- 10:00 Art Auction. Mods: Carenp
- 11:00 Break
- 11:15 What makes a good mission fic? Episode-style plots can make a story unique, but can be difficult to write. What makes a good plot, and as a reader do you appreciate mission fics or feel that the plot detracts from the K/S? Mods: Ashura
- 12:00 The recs panel. Which K/S fics have had the greatest impact on you? Share your favourites and acquire some recommendations for additional reading material. Mods: weebeanie and Susanne
- 13:00 Lunch
- 14:00 Amok Time. Watch the slashiest of TOS episodes with other K/S fans. Mods: Christine
- 15:00 Closing Ceremony. Mods: Rhaegal and Amanda Warrington
Kiscon 2012 Vid Show
- Alright With Me by EdithyNeko
- Forever by Kerinaty
- Take my Hand by MkbSTARDDiapason
- We'll Be Okay, I'm Not Going Away by xTheHarleQuinOevilx
- Time Will Tell by XKelociraptor
- Save the Last Dance by EimeoMoon
- This is Entertainment by MorraMorgenstern
- Crawl by EdithyNeko
- lost by Estatitall
- Total Eclipse of the Heart by Caren P
- Oh Death/Spark by Bigmamag2
- So This is love by Atlanta23410
- Constant Angel by Rhaegal
- What Sound by ROJrAdmirer
- Castle Walls by hotandcoldcollision
- Hide and Seek by Atlanta23410
- Pieces by DariaPrOduction
- You'll Pull Through by Kerinaty
- You're My Everything by Kerinaty
- Mystery Dance by MaryCrawford
- Extraterrestrial by Kerinaty
- I Touch Myself by Spirksbuttbaby
- Forget by DariaPrOduction
- Closer by Killa & T Jonsey
- Written into Your Book by XKelociraptor
- A love Story by EimeoMoon
Kiscon 2013 was held in Boston on November 1-3, 2013. Guest of Honor was Greywolf the Wanderer
During one fan fundraiser to raise money to attend the convention, a panelist discussed her concerns over filming a panel explaining that people had been fired for attending the convention. She later clarified.
"I seem to have misunderstood an email shared with a KiSCon runner. In an earlier post, I mentioned being unable to film the whole panel because, in the past, people who have been found out by their work were fired for simply attending.
While this, and other horrible things, has happened to some fans for general participation in the slash and K/S fandoms, nobody has been fired for specifically attending KiSCon.
Nobody has been fired for attending KiSCon.And even if they had, I retroactively realized that was not something I should have shared with you guys so casually. If I worried you or made you second guess attending, I apologize. Those are cases of extreme reactions, and I should have made that clear."
KiSCon 2013: Programming
Friday November 1st
- Can women be t'hy'la, too? (TOS mainly) Its focus as a relationship between two men tends to discredit/ignore female relationships of any kind. Could we apply "t'hy'la" to Uhura/Saavik? T'pring/Stonn? Amanda/Sarek? How do you deal with this issue in fanfic, and how might it affect Kirk, Spock and those they know?
- Military vs. Civilian (Both) Star Fleet has always had an uneasy mixture of military and non-military, as pictured, anyway. What would a more realistic depiction of the Fleet consist of? And what stories might it engender in future films/TV?
- KHAAAAAAAN! (Reboot) Let's talk about him and his impact on AOS Kirk and Spock so early in their friendship. What impact has he had on fan-fiction since STID premiered?
- How has K/S affected LGBTQIA fans in real life? (General) Might it have helped us to come to terms with our own sexuality, or with the often-scary process of coming out? Might it have helped us to be more supportive of those we know and love who are LGBTQIA?
- Race in Star Trek (Both) How do the Roddenberry and Abrams 'verses compare? How does it play out in fanfiction, especially as it relates to K/S?
- IS A SHIP JUST A SHIP? (Reboot) It's been almost 50 years since TOS. What are the good, the bad and the ugly aspects on the Reboot Enterprise? What parts on the ship would you like to see and what should they do to update them? Examples...Kirk's cabin, Spock's cabin, Rec Room, Arboretum, the Bathroom.
- Rehearsal for dance
- JJ Abrams won't be directing the 3rd Reboot film (Reboot) Hallelujah moment or tragedy? What should happen in it?
- Opening Ceremonies ('til midnight) - Festivities, Performance, Quiz
Saturday November 2nd
- Will homophobia be gone in the 23rd century? (TOS mainly) Will homophobia be gone in the 23rd century? What would that do to the UST between Kirk and Spock - especially in TOS?
- What does it take to be a Captain in the Star Trek universe? (Both) How are TOS and reboot Kirk different in their captaincy? What are their greatest strengths and failings? Does Chris Pine's Kirk have what it takes to become a truly great captain, or is he already there?
- When did Spock and Kirk get together as more than friends? (TOS)
- How does writing fanfic teach us about elements common to all good storytelling? (General) Should it be held to professional editing standards for grammar, spelling and readability?
- What makes a classic fanfic classic? (Both) What are the greatest fics to date in TOS and Reboot, and why? Let's discuss!
- How do the different 'verses compare, regarding the characters' histories? (Both) Tarsus IV in TOS, the destruction of Vulcan in Nu!Trek, Kirk's family background – just a few examples of differences that could have profound effects on Kirk and Spock's development.
- 12:00 How did K/S fandom and fan-fiction get started? (TOS) How did interested fans find out about each other in the days before the Internet? How did the zines start and proliferate? What impact did it have on the Star Trek fandom as a whole, and on the slash genre?
- 1:30 Lunch break
- Episode redos (Reboot/TOS) What TOS episodes would you like to see done with the Reboot boys? What did or would each set of Kirk/Spocks bring to the episode?
- What legacy has Star Trek given the world? (TOS) More to the point, what legacy has K/S fan work given to the world of fandom?
- Defining 'Canon' (TOS mainly) Special Guest Brittany Diamond speaks on how we define canon regarding K/S, and gives a breakneck recap of "Spock's Brain". Fasten your seatbelts!
- Sow's ear into silk purse (TOS) Some of TOS's worst episodes contain some of the best K/S moments. What could the writers have done better?
- The mindmeld (Reboot mainly) What extra snippets might have slipped through into the mindmeld that might impact Jim over time?
- An Interview with Greywolf the Wanderer: Our Guest of Honor talks about his journeys in life and writing, and answers questions from the audience.
- Babel Banquet and Vid Show (to 1:00 am)
Sunday November 3rd
- What is the future of fandom? (General) Are zines obsolete in the Internet age? Will KiScon, KiSMET, Escapade and other such fan-run conventions continue?
- How would those close to them (e.g., Sarek, McCoy, Carol Marcus) react to the news that Kirk and Spock were lovers? (TOS)
- Auction and Raffle
- Strange New Worlds (General) Presentation by Featured Guest Rhaegal on planets beyond our solar system, how they function, and how we can use this to fuel fanfiction and fanart.
- 1:30 Lunch time
- Humor in Star Trek (TOS mainly) Humor is a feature of the TOS series and many of its films, yet much of the fan-fiction seems to focus heavily on more dramatic and traumatic elements. Is humor an integral part of the Trek universe, and to the Kirk/Spock relationship? Does it manifest differently in TOS and Reboot?
- Walk, don't run (Reboot) Should the next movie slow the pace a bit and deal with more social issues?
- Kirk seems to be fast-tracking his friendship with Spock (Reboot) Is this because of what he saw in the meld with Spock Prime, or is he just lonely?
- How does the mind meld affect Kirk and Spock? (TOS) They have melded several times in canon, but they're both private, guarded people, and Spock is not fully Vulcan. How do they cope with the short- and long-term effects of this "terrible lowering of personal barriers"?
- Amok Time Viewing, discussion and mutual squee
- 5:30 Closing Ceremony
- 6:00 Dead Warrigul Party ('til midnight)
KiScon 2013: Vid Show
- Like Father Like Son, Born A Fighter by Romanse
- I Think About You by Bersakhi
- The Marshmallow Song by Bersakhi
- Star Trekking A Life of Memories by ?
- Out of Reach by T’Lara and ShirAmber
- Won’t Let Go by T’Lara and ShirAmber
- Jizz In My Pants by Triplexpoint
- Love Story (Reboot version) by Triplexpoint
- Love Story (TOS version) by Triplexpoint
- The Man’s Too Strong by Killa and TJonsey
- Bleed To Love Her by Killa and TJonsey
- Closer by Killa and TJonsey
KiScon 2013: Con Reports
"The [panel] recap of Spock’s Brain went over better than I ever imagined it would.
A girl did a genuine spit take
A girl did a genuine spit take
It was so beautiful.And the discussion of whether or not they considered K/S canon, and how we define relationships as canon, was thoughtful, hilarious, open-minded, well rounded, I could go on forever."
"Spent the day in panels talking about the Reboot, the military in a Trek verse, and who should replace JJ. Met M.E. Carter, theshipscloset, thisthylafeeling, blackbirdsong, and triplexpoint! Saw giant dancing penises (the green one was appropriately double ridged). Watched K/S vids in a room full of other people, then ended the night hanging with Greywolf the Wanderer, CanneDeBonbon, and Mary. It’s 2:22am."
"kiscon today was epic hngggh and I was shaking so hard when they showed my fanvids that I dragged the bestie over and sat at her feet while she ruffled my hair.......(I did Jizz In My Pants - remastered the original version - and a TOS and an AOS version of Love Story)....and everyone is so amazingly nice and I cannot even and there are awesome people and tomorrow I must get all their emails, tumblrs, livejournals, what have you."
"The ladies at this convention are truly, truly incredible. I’m already defensive of slash fans in general, but I will fight to death for these women. I can’t tell you how many of them have technical and engineering degrees, are going for a SECOND masters, or are otherwise highly educated. And if they don’t have copious schooling, that in no way stops them (or anyone) from being capable, sensitive, intuitive, intelligent, passionate people. Everyone has their own personal ties to Star Trek and K/S. The outpouring of fic, conversation, and fearless sharing resulting from that is enough to make me teary. This is art making an impact."
"KiScon was brilliant, easily one of the best weekends of my life. It was amazing to meet people whose work I have read or viewed, put faces to online friends, and to gush over Britney from TSC (who actually knew who I was, and I just died). Also Candy drew me tiny Santa Spock Prime, and he’s coming home with me. My rec list has grown, and Mary has promised to send even more! Absolutely sad to be leaving. Everyone was welcoming and interesting, and I look forward to another one in the future."
"guys we are playing cards against humanity now at kiscon and its so ridiculous and inappropriate now that none of us can even and we are literally crying, screeching, laughing and screaming WHY ARE SOME OF YOU NOT HERE."
"@Rhaegal physics talk, awesome! Kepler’s death, tragic."
"Just spent $70 on drawings of William Shatner. #goodlifechoices"
was held in Seattle, WA on October 30 - November 1, 2015. Guest of Honor was Syn Ferguson. The con was dedicated to Stacy Doyle, KiScon's long-standing webmaster, who passed away in 2014 just before completing the website for KiScon 2015. Killa kindly volunteered to take over the running of the site.
From the Kiscon 2015 website:
"WOW! Who could have believed that when (some of us) were watching those first episodes of Star Trek back in the 1960's what it would spawn: Fandom, the first underground Slash Zines, some of the first Fan Vids, four Star Trek sequels, 12 movies (soon 13) and now multiple generations of Star Trek and K/S fans. No matter what your ST niche is, people ages 7 to 70 can all proudly say the same thing:
I AM A STAR TREK FAN!
We live in a world that has Star Trek terms and sayings so embedded they have become part of the everyday culture. People who never watched a minute of any Star Trek know what a "Phaser" is, what "Warp Drive" is, what a "Communicator" is (the US call them cells) and now... they're beginning to know what "Slash" is.Some of you have asked why we are celebrating these monumental events in 2015 rather than 2016 (the actual 50th birthday). Well… when asked, our K/S group said they wanted it in October 2015. This way they would be able to attend KiSCon 2015 and still be able to attend the BIG 50th celebrations in 2016, the ones where our boys will be guests."
KiScon 2015: Programming
- Diversity in Slash Pairings: Outside Your OTP, or discussing K/S/Mc, K/Mc, and S/Mc (Greywolf)
- How the death of a star affects the writing of fan-fiction (Blackbird Song)
- Why has K/S been so enduring? With all the other fandoms that have proliferated, what is it about K/S that keeps fans interested? (Cate)
- Why is it that so many K/S fans have been long-time fans of Sherlock Holmes, too? (Lyra)
- How has the portrayal of Kirk and Spock, and their relationship, changed over the years? (Killa)
- Creating fictional Vulcan worlds: language, mind arts, mores: how writers go about constructing head canon. (Lari)
- Where Does Slash Fandom Go From Here? Same sex marriage is (finally) the law of the land in the US and many other western counties and same sex relationships are more accepted. Before, slash was a underground fandom. Now it is more out in the open and "out of the closet." Will slash will remain an off shoot of fan writing or be absorbed into the main stream? What will this mean for slash writing/art/vids and consumers of slash? How will it affect the slash community? (Judy, Lari & Kathy)
- Why Spock is So Sexy: Is it the Ears or Is it the Brains? (Soral)
- 13:00 Lunch
- Vid: Mind Meld (pt 1) William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy interview each other.
- Story Recs: What are your top 3 K/S stories and why? (List to be generated and circulated to all members) (Carolyn Spencer) (Amanda)
- The Aging Couple: K/S after a Certain Age (Rhaegal)
- The Reboot movies: what did you love and hate about them? What would you like to see in the next movie? (Amanda)
- Outdoor Trek: TOS from Screen to Stage (My Daroga & Joy)
- Pon Farr: the Ultimate Ultimatum (Trekker)
- Interview with Syn Ferguson (Kathy R & Caren P)
- Meet the Guest of Honor - Syn to introduce herself and answer your questions.
- 20:00 Opening Ceremony
- Writing believable SF is a challenge, but K/S writers also have to contend with an alien central character. What do you love and hate about the way Spock is portrayed? Which stories or writers would you recommend? (Amanda)
- TOS round robin: Everyone gets to write a line or a paragraph of the story without seeing what everyone else has written – the results are usually hilarious! (Syn)
- Do we anthropomorph Vulcans without readily contemplating what it means to be alien? What is it is it about earth that is the same as Vulcan and what different? How does this affect how a species thinks? What can we learn from each other that may influence our fan fiction? (Soral)
- Homophobia through K/S: This panel will explore the topic of homophobia in two ways - what can research on K/S tell us about changing ideas of homophobia and sexual norms in the United States, and should K/S (and all slash) be viewed as homophobic/fetishizing. (April Callis)
- Four decades of classic K/S vids (Lari)
- What message does K/S (or Star Trek/TOS) still hold for our world today? (Blackbird Song & Ashaya)
- Bisexuality as K/S Reality? Kirk & Spock are attracted to women, repeatedly; does it matter? (April)
- KiSCon and Other K/S Cons. Over the last several years there has been a decline in the number of writers, artists, and vidders in K/S as well as KiSCon members. There was a spike of new fans after the first reboot Star Trek movie came out but most have moved on to other fandoms and have not returned. Many were disappointed with the 2nd movie and so it did not re-energize K/S. Will this affect the future of K/S and KiSCon? Will there be enough interest to keep it going into the future? Will there be more pure KiSCons? Will we have to change with the times and expand into other slash fandom's in order to continue having cons? (Judy & Kathy)
- 13:00 Lunch
- Vid: Mind Meld (pt 2) William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy interview each other.
- What is it about Spock (both TOS and Reboot) and Sherlock that makes us want to break their cool? A discussion on these fascinating men, how they are similar and different. (Mary)
- Science Talk (90 mins) By Rhaegal
- Kirk vs. Kirk: Characterization Conflict in and out of Canon (My Daroga & Joy)
- Hurt/Comfort: why does it remain so enduring? (Blackbird Song)
- Catspaw Cosplay Gala & Buffet, followed by Vid Show & Sing-A-long and Dance hosted by Lari
- Reboot Round Robin Everyone gets to write a line or a paragraph of the story without seeing what everyone else has written – the results are usually hilarious! (Soral)
- The spirituality of K/S: spiritual themes in TOS/AOS in general, and more specifically relating to t'hy'la or the nature of Vulcan bonds. (Lari)
- Art Auction & Raffle with Caren P.
- Remembering Leonard: Discussion and tribute vids (Lari)
- 13:00 Lunch
- What are the similarities and differences between the TOS and reboot characters? (Gwen)
- After the high water mark of Reichenbach Fall in Series 2, fans have been largely divided about the turns the series took in S3--especially with John's cold behavior toward Sherlock and the transformation of Mary as a divisive character in His Last Vow. Do you like the changes Moffat and Gatiss made in characterization in Series 3--with Sherlock being generally more sympathetic and John less so? What would you like to see happen in S4? (Caren P)
- How did you come into K/S fandom? What were your influences? Were you in slash fandom before or new to it?
- What books were your biggest K/S slashy influence? (Blackbird Song)
- Closing Ceremony
- Amok Time - Everyone gets to cheer on KiScon’s favourite episode!
KiScon 2015: Con Reports
"I just have to say how much I enjoyed KiSCon. The programming was amazing for a small con–there was always something to do in the rec room, and a diverse selection of discussion panels. My gratitude to the fabulous organizers. I woke up with a hoarse throat this morning from all the laughing I did (great vid show, amok time viewing, k/s cards against humanity, spock bending over a scanner jokes, hilarious group fic writing). Honestly, it was my best con experience ever. What a friendly, intelligent, creative, and passionate group of people. I felt honoured to listen to and speak with everyone I met this weekend. Not to mention the huge fic rec list I now have! Although I’m a newb to this long standing fandom and have spent most of my time lurking, I feel really inspired to come out of my shy little box more. If my schedule fits, I’m definitely attending the next KiSCon!"
"There were about 50-60 people attending and it was such a nice ‘vibe’ all weekend. It was a good mix of ages, old/new fans and people that were fans of TOS and/or Reboot. Sure there were people who were old friends, and sure there were a few groups, but there was no cliquishness or negativity (far as TOS vs Reboot or the like). As someone that never settled into a group, I felt very welcome to sit anywhere and just hang- and I’m not a person who normally does that.....I have to say, pretty much every conversation I was a part of or witness to was that delightful mix of thoughtful /intelligent /well researched conversations and penis jokes. So many ‘smart’ conversations. So many dick jokes. Like I said, I found my people."
"I had the absolute pleasure of attending 2015 KiSCon in Seattle and I couldn’t be prouder of or happier with our K/S fandom. We had amazing discussions that spanned philosophy, religion, societal expectations, SCIENCE, and more that were anchored in K/S and Trek but were inclusive and informative on an individual basis. I learned so much, and enjoyed the overwhelming kindness and excitement shared among folks of a range of ages and backgrounds. I was able to meet new friends, and connect with the people behind the names I know so well from the beautiful stories they’ve told. I got a perspective of the incredible history behind this fandom from the folks who made it happen, and I was truly inspired. I can’t wait to start posting my next fic and I am deeply grateful for all the hard work by the folks who organized this wonderful con."
"KisCon has accomplished the impossible. I love K/S more than ever - didn’t think I could love it more. Star Trek fandom is so amazing - such fantastic, intelligent, caring people. I couldn’t ask for better!"
"I CANT HANDLE ALL THESE FANVIDS YALL I AM DYING"
"There is in fact a 3D art contest at KiSCon (the Kirk/Spock fan convention) devoted to “give us your best representation of what you think Spock’s dick looks like.” This is reason #974,958 why everyone should go to KiSCon."
"So I guess it’s official.
Fandom has ruined my life.
Mama always warned me about them there Star Track conventions. “It’s a downward spiral,” she told me. “It starts innocent enough. Oh, I’ll just go to this one anime convention. And then I’ll just go this scifi convention too. A lot of the same people I hung out with at the anime con will be there. It’s harmless enough, right?”
And the next thing you know. You’re buying plane tickets to fly across country, to go to an entire convention dedicated, not just to Star Trek, but specifically to Spirk shipping.This is my life now.
"I have rarely laughed as hard as I’m laughing during this vid screening at KiScon. …or cried. There are also tears. Like omg."
"To All KiSCon Attendees: May your Voyage Home be safe, may you feel invigorated by the enthusiasm we all experienced this weekend, may all your swag and haul have stayed intact, and may you now go forth and boldly create more works for us to endlessly enjoy!"
KiScon 2015: Vid Show
Opening Ceremony (Friday, Oct 30):
- EimeoMoon: Kirk/Spock - A Love Story
- Khiori: Till I Hear You Sing (premiere)<
- Rhaegal: Cry Over Me (premiere)
Four Decades of Classic K/S vids (Saturday, Oct 31): [60 min.]
- "Kandy Fong: It's All Coming Back To Me Now (not online, but on the "Escapade Vid Show Retrospective 1992-2001" DVD)
- Akiv: Help
- bigmamag: Oh Death / Spark
- Caren Parnes: Total Eclipse Of The Heart
- Here's Luck: The Test
- Chris Soto: I Dreamed A Dream (password: chrissoto)
- Indrikhole: Static
- Chris Soto: One Hand, One Heart (not online)
- Mortmere: The Night Watch
- Khiori & Ivy Hill: In This Room (not online; see Fanlore article)
- Talitha78: Closer
- Mortmere: Jeeves Trek
- Killa & T. Jonesy: Bleed To Love Her
- MorraMorgenstern: Another Place and Time
- Rhaegal: If You Only Knew
Vid Party with Sing-a-long & Dance (Saturday, Oct 31): [2 hours; several songvids were especially subtitled for the con]
- EimeoMoon: Save The Last Dance
- Mary Van Deusen: All Out Of Love
- MorraMorgenstern: I Bring The Fire
- T. Jonesy, Killa, Hafital: Razzle Dazzle (no authorised copy online)
- Joe Jojo: Counting Stars
- Mary Van Deusen: You Always Knew
- MorraMorgenstern: This Is Entertainment
- Mary Van Deusen: White Rose
- Estalita11: Fever
- Chris Soto: Wind Beneath My Wings (not online)
- BrTutty: Love Me Like You Do
- MorraMorgenstern: His Love Will Conquer All
- Killa: Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps
- Mary Van Deusen: Yellow Submarine
- Estalita11: Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
- Mary Van Deusen: I Feel The Earth Move
- TheJAMFactor: Common People (W. Shatner's version!)
- Killa & T. Jonesy: Closer (no authorised copy online)
- Mortmere: God Only Knows
- BrTutty: Addicted
- BrTutty: Hypnotic
- Indrikhole: Brothers Under The Sun
- Yunuen: Icarus
- Rhaegal: Constant Angel
- Kerinaty: Kirk/Spock - Star Trek Forever
- MissSheenie: Spock's Down On His Knees
- T'Gin: Kiss Mr. Spock
- Yorki (YT: Parapandaful): Officer's Tango
- Spookyfbi8: Probably
- RDJrAdmirer: Cosmic Love (ST 2009)
- T'Gin: You Look So Fine
- Lucky Jack: Amok Time
- Rhaegal: Dangerous Game (download)
- RDJrAdmirer: What Sound
- MissSheenie: Spock's Fantasy
- Mary Van Deusen: Stand My Ground
- MissSheenie: Tik Tok
- T'Gin: You Fill Up My Senses
- Barbuzuka: Star Trek TOS - We Can't Turn Back
- Pamdizzle, Ivycross & T'Lara: Fun With Jim and Spock
Remembering Leonard: The Leonard Nimoy Tribute Panel (Sunday, Nov 1):
- Rhaegal: A Tribute To Leonard Nimoy
- Mary Van Deusen: 100 Years
- JetpackMonkey: Leonard Nimoy Tribute & Clips Reel (originally created for Escapade 2015, edited for KiScon)
- EimeoMoon: Our Farewell
Closing Ceremony (Sunday, Nov 1):
- T'Lara: I Drove All Night (premiere)
The con DVD "KiScon 2015 - The Official Fanvid Collection" features a selection of 29 gorgeous fanvids - not all of them made it into the shows (due to time constraints - they were on my playlist, though).
|Number on the disc||Title||Vidder(s)|
|1||Kirk/Spock: A Love Story||EimeoMoon|
|3||Oh Death / Spark||Bigmamag|
|4||Sleeping With Ghosts||Butterfly|
|5||Total Eclipse Of The Heart||Caren Parnes|
|6||The Test||Here's Luck|
|7||I Dreamed A Dream||Chris Soto|
|10||Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)||Estalita11|
|11||Amok Time||Lucky Jack|
|13||Another Place And Time||MorraMorgenstern|
|16||Cry Over Me||Rhaegal|
|17||Closer||Killa & T. Jonesy|
|18||If You Only Knew||Rhaegal|
|19||I Drove All Night||T'Lara|
|21||Brothers Under The Sun||Indrikhole|
|23||The Night Watch||Mortmere|
|24||His Love Will Conquer All||MorraMorgenstern|
|25||Razzle Dazzle||T. Jonesy, Killa, Hafital|
The 2017 KiScon was held in Los Angeles 15 to 17 September 2017, once again co-chaired by Rhaegal and Amanda Warrington.
Kiscon 2017: Vid Shows
VJ: Larissa Bernstein.
Classics Vidshow, Friday, 15 Sept:
Bersakhi: I Want to Hold Your Hand (TOS)
Chris Soto: One Hand, One Heart (TOS) (not online)
Mary Van Deusen: White Rose (TOS)
T. Jonesy & Killa: When I'm 64 (TOS) (not online)
Caren P. & Mary Van Deusen: Total Eclipse of the Heart (TOS)
ImaginarySanity: Cosmic Love (TOS)
Khiori & Ivy Hill: In This Room (TOS) (not online)
Bigmamag: Oh Death / Spark (TOS, reboot)
Killa: Dante's Prayer (TOS)
Mary Crawford: Swing (TOS)
Chris Soto: Wind Beneath My Wings (TOS) (not online)
T'Guess: Desert Rose (TOS)
Kandy Fong: Coming Back to Me Now (TOS)
Mortmere: The Night Watch (TOS)
Estalita11: T.G.I.F. (TOS)
Here's Luck: The Test (reboot, TOS)
Opening Ceremony, Friday, 15 Sept:
Rhaegal: KiScon 2017 Opening Ceremony Trailer (TOS, reboot) (not online)
Kandy Fong: A Mocked Time (TOS; slideshow)
Amok Time Reloaded Vid Competition, Friday, 15 Sept:
T'Lanza: Addicted to Love (premiere) (TOS) (not online)
Rhaegal: Pon Farr (premiere) (TOS) (not online)
T'Lara: Gad-eshu'a (premiere) (TOS)
AnnaKnitsSpock: Fever (premiere) (reboot) (not online)
T'Lara & Rhaegal: The Private Life of Vulcans (premiere) (TOS) (WINNER)
Saturday Night Vidshow, 16 Sept:
EimeoMoon: Save the Last Dance (TOS)
BrTutty: Say You'll Never Let Me Go (reboot)
Mary Crawford: Mystery Dance (TOS)
Solar: Two Elements (reboot)
Killa: Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps (TOS)
AnnaKnitsSpock: Fight Song (reboot)
Rhaegal: Wait for it (TOS, reboot)
Baxssy: Falling in Love (reboot)
T. Jonesy: Layla (TOS) (not online)
BrTutty: Crazy in Love (reboot)
CherryLie88: Черная луна (Black Moon) (TOS)
Sarashina Nikki: A Still More Glorious Dawn (reboot)
Estalita11: Fever (TOS)
Imaginary Sanity: Fire (TOS)
Indrikhole: С той стороны (From That Side) (TOS)
T. Jonesy & Killa: Closer (TOS) (not online)
Insolitus: There! Right There! (reboot)
JoeEva: Plak Tow (reboot)
BrTutty: Touchin' On My (TOS)
Kerinaty: Star Trek Forever (TOS, reboot)
Latinistka: Тонкий шрам на любимой попе (A Thin Scar on his Beloved Butt) (TOS)
Lucky Jack: Amok Time (reboot)
T'Lanza: Carry You Home (premiere) (TOS) (not online)
Bellizaria: A Thousand Years (TOS, reboot)
Morra Morgenstern: I Bring the Fire (reboot)
T'Lanza: Yakety Yak (premiere) (TOS) (not online)
Severny Sneg: Home is Where the Heart is (TOS, reboot)
Mortmere: Touch Me (TOS)
Nessa: You (TOS)
MissSheenie: Spock's Down on his Knees (reboot)
Putnik68: The Bad Touch (TOS)
Spookyfbi8: K/S Fight Scene - Amok Time vs. Reboot (TOS, reboot)
MissSheenie: Tik Tok (TOS)
Severny Sneg: The Road is My Home (TOS, TAS)
T'Lara: Fun with Jim and Spock (TOS) (podfic vid of Pamdizzle's parody, with art by Ivycross)
Track list of the con DVD:
|Number on the disc||Vidder(s)||Title|
|1||Rhaegal||KiScon 2017 Opening Ceremony|
|2||T'Lanza||Addicted to Love (premiere)|
|3||Yorki (Parapandaful)||Officer's Tango|
|4||Mary Crawford||Mystery Dance|
|5||Kerinaty||Star Trek Forever|
|7||Sarashina Nikki||A Still More Glorious Dawn|
|8||T'Lanza||Yakety Yak (premiere)|
|9||Severny Sneg||The Road is my Home|
|10||Rhaegal||Wait for it|
|12||BrTutty||Say You'll Never Let Me Go|
|13||Killa||Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps|
|14||MorraMorgenstern||This is Entertainment|
|15||Rhaegal||Pon Farr (premiere)|
|16||Bellizaria||A Thousand Years|
|17||T. Jonesy & Killa||Falling in Love|
|18||Indrikhole||From That Side|
|20||Qingniao||My Body is a Cage|
|21||T'Lara & Rhaegal||The Private Life of Vulcans (premiere)|
|22||BrTutty||Crazy in Love|
|23||T. Jonesy & Killa||Closer|
|24||MissSheenie||Spock's Down on his Knees|
|25||T'Lanza||Carry You Home (premiere)|
|28||Xkelociraptor||Time Will Tell|
|29||Barbuzuka||We Can't Turn Back|
|30||Kandy Fong||A Mocked Time|
- catalenamara, The latest information on KiScon 2019, the Kirk/Spock convention. Posted 2019-07-26 to fandom_calender.
- from A 2007 Interview with Victoria Clark
- from Reminisce With Me/Back To The '80s by Nancy Kippax
- From Vicki's 2007 interview which was published in Legacy.
- From Vicki's 2007 interview which was published in Legacy.
- Marta Rodriguez at alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated
- from The K/S Press #32
- from The K/S Press #32
- Kiscon, did it really happen? by awarrington, July 17, 2011
- this awesome vid
- Kiscon, did it really happen? by awarrington, July 17, 2011
- Kiscon, did it really happen? by awarrington, July 17, 2011
- Kiscon, did it really happen? by awarrington, July 17, 2011
- Kiscon, did it really happen? by awarrington, July 17, 2011
- rhaegal's Kiscon, dated June 27th, 2011.
- KiSCon Updates! - The Ship's Closet, Archived version
- IMPORTANT RETRACTION/CLARIFICATION THING - The Ship's Closet, Archived version
- The panel was fucking transcendent - The Ship's Closet, Archived version
- Spent the day in panels talking about the Reboot,... - indefatigable hoof-taps, Archived version
- in every universe, kiscon today was epic hngggh and I was shaking so..., Archived version
- The panel was fucking transcendent - The Ship's Closet, Archived version
- Sitting at the airport. There are rocking chairs... - indefatigable hoof-taps, Archived version
- in every universe, guys we are playing cards against humanity now at..., Archived version
- Anything Goes — @Rhaegal physics talk, awesome! Kepler’s death,..., Archived version
- Just spent $70 on drawings of William Shatner...., Archived version
- KiSCon 2015, Archived version
- All I Want From Life Is A Damn Good Story, Archived version
- KiScon - A Kirk/Spock Slash Convention — noodleinabarrel: Reverse road trip!! On the last..., Archived version
- KiSCon Report, Archived version
- Cate Writes K/S - KiSCon - KiSCon, Archived version
- Fan. Diva. Crazy Cat Lady. Bring It., Archived version
- I CANT HANDLE ALL THESE FANVIDS YALL I AM DYING - It's Always Springtime, Archived version
- , Archived version
- , Archived version
- no spock, das gay!, Archived version
- Boldly Writing... • To All KiSCon Attendees, Archived version