|Date(s):||A really long time|
|Medium:||Oral Tradition, books, movies, tv|
|Country of Origin:|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
This page is about the archetypal character Robin Hood and the fandoms that have developed around him for at least six hundred years. For the page about the fan and editor, see Robin Hood (fan).
First Fandom: in the ballads
Robin Hood is a character from British folklore, the bold outlaw and skilled archer who lived in the greenwood with his band of men, probably dating back to the 13th century. Robin's earliest literary appearances are in 15th century ballads. The Merry Men traditionally are Little John, Will Scarlett (or Scathèlock), Much the Miller's Son, Friar Tuck, and his ladylove is Maid Marian. His named enemies are the Sheriff of Nottingham and Guy of Gisbourne. Robin has a legendary skill with the English longbow, lives on deer (then the perquisite of the king and the king's nobles alone), steals from the rich and gives to the poor.
Robin Hood appears as a fictional character in many novels: the most notable are:
- Ivanhoe by Walter Scott, 1819. (Robin Hood first appears in Chapter XIII.)
- The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle, 1883.
- Robin Hood by Henry Gilbert, 1912.
- Robin Hood and His Adventures by Paul Creswick, 1917.
- Bows Against the Barons by Geoffrey Trease, 1934. This is the first children's novel to firmly depict Robin Hood as a champion of the oppressed - of the downtrodden peasants against their Norman overlords.
- The Sword in the Stone, by T. H. White, 1938. White has Merlyn describe Robin Wood as a "Saxon partisan".
- The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green, 1956. Much more closely based on the ballads than any of the other novels: Green viewed this as a retelling of the earlier stories, akin to his work retelling the Greek and Roman myths.
- The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley, 1988. A modern revisioning along "realistic" lines, closer in spirit to the 1934 Bows Against the Barons than most of the intervening novels.
- Robin Hood (1922)
- The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
- Robin and Marian (1976)
- Robin Hood (1991)
- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993, parody)
- Robin Hood (2010)
In TV series
- Robin Hood Bold Outlaw of Barnsdale and Sherwood - Robin Hood resources online.