|Type:||fan-run fan con|
|Founder:||Kate & Anne|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
KisMet is a small fan-run slash convention held in the UK. Its primary focus is K/S and Star Trek fandom. The convention also publishes a convention zine (ex. the 2005 convention zine featured "A Yeoman's Tale" by K'Chaps that was later re-published in T'hy'la #28). The first convention was held in 2005. The second convention was scheduled for 2009 but had to be canceled; it was however, rescheduled for 2011. A third was held in 2013, and a fourth took place in September 2016.
From the 2011 flyer:" This convention will concentrate and clearly focus on TOS and offers panels as well as quizzes, caption competitions, bring & buy, raffle, episodes, movies, a zine library – and much more! There will be also a Con zine and contests - best K/S drabble * best K/S limerick * best K/S cartoon."'
The 2011 convention was held on August 19, 2011 in York, England. People from the UK, the US, Belgium, Germany, and Czech Republic attended.
One attendee wrote a detailed convention report: "As a small con, the programming was all very informal. We had panel topics, and while some were quite structured...[others drifted on and off topic, but it was all very interesting and it's quite remarkable to be able to go for a whole weekend on one pairing without running out of things to talk about. Even the mpreg panel held my interest, and that's saying a lot!...Other than the panels, we had a quiz, in which my team only managed third (albeit with a person missing), but as a splendid commiseration prize I got a lovely K/S pen and post-its in the lucky dip...And of course I spent far too much money on old zines. There was also a really cool competition involving pictures on the walls illustrating a scene from a fic, with one accompanying paragraph, from which you had to guess the fic title. I was utterly hopeless at this. There was a lot of "oh, that's that fic where...y'know...", but titles? Titles are hard. tracionn ended up winning with a grand total of 5/15 (I think?), whereas I managed a paltry 3. There was also the con zine, featuring haikus, limericks, drabbles and fics on which we had to vote...." 
Kismet 2013 was held the weekend of August 9 - 11 2013 in Buckinghamshire, UK.
This Kismet Con was the third that Anne and Kate had run, and this time it was held at the Lane End Conference Centre, an almost ideal Con venue, set in lovely grounds: I even meant to explore these more, but it was such an engrossing Con, I never really did! Many of us had been here last year, for KisCon 2012, and it was great to be back. The facilities were of a high standard, and the food was lovely, with plenty of fresh fruit and tempting choices. Sharing meals and chatting is always a wonderful part of a Con, isn't it?
But on to the Programme: our Organisers had devised a fascinating, to borrow a term, schedule of activities and panels, some intriguing, some just fun! We had an effective ice breaker game involving guessing which Trek character name we'd each had pinned to our backs, and when I was Sarek, my good friend Joan was Amanda, which was fun! At the opening ceremony on Friday evening, Anne introduced our guest of honour, drum roll..., Elise Madrid! Elise was a great guest, running several panels and I hope she enjoyed herself. I think she did. I'm pretty sure we all did. Meeting old and new friends in K/S is a lovely aspect of Cons and Anne and Kate had thoughtfully arranged us into teams for activities on both evenings: we played a game called K/S Connections and took part in The Big Quiz! Fiendishly difficult, I might add, but great fun. I think my teams came a respectable second or third and we were well pleased and relieved with this! Some of the so-called connections were obscure in the extreme. An amazing feeling when we got some correct, though! As for the panel topics, we talked about humour in K/S, diverse sexualities (during which I learned new things!), compared classic with reboot Kirk and Spock and looked at the concept of a non This was a most satisfying Con indeed. It ran smoothly and it was evident that the Organisers had worked hard to achieve this. I appreciated how Reboot Trek was an integral aspect of the K/S we all talked about if we chose to include it A true example of IDIC indeed! The Con charity, about educating young women in the Third World, was well chosen. The Con packs, in useful tote bags, were a delight and I loved the way that T'Rracionn's beautiful Con artwork, featuring Kirk and Spock at different times in their lives, was reproduced in many forms. A shame I couldn't do the anagrams or the picture quizzes, but I guess I was too busy pestering everyone to buy yet more tickets!Well done to all my fellow attendees, who made the Con such fun and a huge thank you to Anne n Kate, our Con OrganisersExtraordinaire for the most wonderful Con Experience! ! YAY! 
Kismet 2016 was held in High Wycombe, 2-4 Sept 2016. Attending members came from the U.K., Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, the U.S.A., Belgium, and Austria. Highlights of the convention were a Trek-themed concert on Friday night, the great Kismet quiz and the vidshow on Saturday night, an art show and auction, a large raffle (the proceeds of which were going to The British Lung Foundation in memory of Leonard Nimoy who died of COPD), and several competitions. A zine library and a book browsing box were available throughout the weekend.
"It’s fate, it’s destiny, it’s KISMET! And IT IS HAPPENNING!
From the organisers Anne & Chrissy:
Kismet - The K/S Convention in the UK will welcome fans again in 2016, this time to celebrate 50 years of Star Trek!
- Where? At Lane End Conference Centre, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, UK
- When? 2nd - 4th September 2016
- How Much? £235, all inclusive. This includes a single room with ensuite bathroom, all meals, refreshments, games, quizzes, fun and joy, of course!
- We are open for registrations from September 2015.
.....I’ve been to and with this con twice and can assure you it’s gonna be SO MUCH FUN. Also, the location is wonderful, lovely and perfect for a nerdy slashy con weekend."
Friday, 2 Sept 2016:
- Every Kink But The Kitchen Sink (Presented by: Angel Grace)
- Yes, I have! Here's the opportunity to meet and get to know everyone in the group. Can you say "Yes, I have"?
- Opening Ceremony (with an especially created vid by Rhaegal)
- The Kismet Concert: Listen, laugh, cry, and sing-a-long! (Performances by Soral, Samy and Blackbird Song)
Saturday, 3 Sept 2016:
- Always Number One: has Spock always been "number one" for Kirk? (Presented by: Anne)
- Cracking Up: Humour in Star Trek & K/S (Presented by: Soral and Tydomin)
- Remembering Leonard Nimoy: bring your favourite memories of our best beloved Vulcan to share (Presented by: Blackbird Song)
- Vidding Workshop: always wondered how it's done? Dying to give it a go? Come along and find out all the secrets to making a good songvid! (Presented by: T'Lara & Rhaegal)
- Alternative Session for those with no technological abilities or interests! A fun game (created by Arwen)
- We DO Speak of it amongst ourselves – writing Pon Farr: a look at how (and how well) writers have tackled this ever fascinating topic (Presented by: Dunyazad)
- Histories, Mysteries and Lover Victories: K/S was the first slash fandom. How was it in the beginning and how does it stack up against other "/" fandoms now? (Presented by: Elise Madrid)
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Modern K/S Fandom (But Were Afraid To Ask): We're not afraid to tell you! (Presented by: Arwen)
- Gene Genie: Medicine in the 23rd Century (Presented by: Lynn)
- The Kismet Quiz: sharpen your pencils and your brains and show off your knowledge – if you can! Prizes for the winning team members!
- The Kismet Vid Show!
Sunday, 4 Sept 2016:
- The Search for Plot: Can every story really fit into one of a limited number of plots? (Presented by: Chrissy)
- Logical or Highly Illogical? Are the Vulcans really what they say they are? (Presented by: Samy)
- The Yin & Yang of Kirk & Spock: the blending of similarities and differences that make the K/S magic (Presented by: Caren P)
- Good & Bad Sex Scenes (Presented by: Ilana and Blackbird Song)
- The Science of Star Trek: as entertainingly explained by a real live scientist (Presented by Rhaegal)
- The Kismet Art Auction: a chance to buy some of the glorious pieces that have been on show all weekend! (Presented by: Samy and Caren P)
- The Closing Ceremony (with an especially created vid by T'Lara), followed by prize giving and raffle draw
- K/S Art Slide Show: wallow in some of the gorgeous K/S artwork produced in recent years (slideshow created by T'Racionn)
List of all vids shown at the con in order of appearance:
Opening Ceremony, Friday, 2 Sept 2016:
Rhaegal: I Gotta Feeling (premiere) (not online)
Vidshow, Saturday night, 3 Sept 2016 (VJ: Larissa Bernstein):
Mortmere: Jeeves Trek
Bellizaria: A Thousand Years
T. Jonesy & Killa: Falling in Love (not online)
Joe Eva: Oblivion
Zi (YT: Lys Blanche): We’ll Never Die
Jess Brown & Fiona Graves: Friend in Me (not online)
Rhaegal: Landslide (not online)
AnnaKnitsSpock: Fight Song
Ashayavar: Hey Jealous Lover
BrTutty: Crazy in Love
Killa & T. Jonesy: Knights of the Round Table (not online)
Silver-Thyla: I’ll Never Find Another You (premiere) (not online)
Here’s Luck: The Test
Bluefairy1113: All I Need (vid on YT is unfortunately muted)
Starcrossedgirl: White Rabbit
BrTutty: Say You’ll Never Let Me Go
T. Jonesy: You’re So Vain (not online)
Indrikhole: Brothers Under the Sun
Putnik68: The Bad Touch
Chris Soto: Wind Beneath My Wings (not part of the competition) (VCR-era vid; not online)
EimeoMoon: Save the Last Dance
MissSheenie: Spock’s Down on his Knees (not part of the competition)
Helen & Virginia Sky: Hello Again (not online)
Yorki (YT: parapandaful): Officer’s Tango
T'Guess: Desert Rose
MissSheenie: Spock's Fantasy
Jess Brown & Fiona Graves: Hero (not online)
Severny Sneg: Home is Where the Heart is
Imaginary Sanity: Can’t Help but Love You
Melodysheep: The Good of the One (Nimoy tribute)
RDJrAdmirer: Cosmic Love
Mortmere: Touch Me
Nessa: You (download from vidder's site)
Severny Sneg: The Road is My Home
Rhaegal: Hello (not online)
T. Jonesy & Killa: When I’m 64 (not online)
Qingniao: My Body is a Cage
T’Lara: Kirk Fu
Lithaveta: The Lightning Strike
Xkelociraptor: Time Will Tell (not online)
Closing Ceremony, Sunday, 4 Sept 2016:
T’Lara: L’Amour Toujours (premiere)
KISMET VID COMPETITION: The Search for the Best Songvid
All songvids that were shown during the con weekend were eligible (unless otherwise noted) for the songvid competition and were voted on by the attendees at the end of the con.
There were two categories. The overall tone of the vid determined its category.
▪ “Humour”: upbeat and fun vids, angst-free, comedy
▪ “Drama”: vids with a more serious tone, character studies, including all kinds of angst
... in the category "Humour": Putnik68: The Bad Touch
... in the category "Drama": Qingniao: My Body is a Cage
Zine & competition
This year the con zine was published in digital form only. The authors were only disclosed after the convention to keep the voting anonymous.
Elise Madrid: Awakenings
Hetusa: Appropriate Levels of Communication
Patricia Roe: The Meditative State (Or, Feelin’ Groovy)
Vulcan Lover: The Stones of Truth
Soral: Playing Scrabble
Vulcan Lover: Together Now (Embraced)
Anne Elliot: Cut Point
Blackbird Song: An Unexpected Diamond
Hetusa: Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder
Angel Grace: The Recipe
Ashaya T’Reldai: Object of Desire
Anne Elliot: Sign Of The Times
Vulcan Lover: This Love (My Privilege). The K/S Anniversary Poem
Hetusa: Vulcans Flames
Anne Elliot: I Remember it Well
... Best Short Story: Anne Elliot: Cut Point
... Best Poem: Vulcan Lover: This Love (My Privilege). The K/S Anniversary Poem
Rhaegal won Best Costume for her Kara, the Eymorg from "Spock's Brain".
... Best Photomanip: T'Racionn
... Best Original Artwork: Samy
... Best Photomania: Caren P