Marvel Cinematic Universe
Marvel Cinematic Universe (short: MCU) is the shared universe that is the setting of the superhero films independently produced by Marvel Studios. It is divided into three phases, The first two phases are completed. Phase three began with Captain America: Civil War on May 6, 2016.
Also set in the MCU are the television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013-present), Agent Carter (2015), Daredevil (2015), Jessica Jones (2015), Luke Cage (2016), Iron Fist (2017), and several Marvel One-Shots. Upcoming television shows that are to be set inside the MCU are The Defenders (2017), and The Punisher (2017) on Netflix, Inhumans (2017) on ABC, and Cloak & Dagger (2018) on Freeform.
- See also: List of Marvel Universes
Fanfiction set in this movieverse focuses on the characters that appear in the movies, often using additional background information from the comics and Norse Mythology. Stories may include characters from other Marvel Comics-related films, such as Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and The X-Men. These kinds of character crossovers are (for the time being) non-canonical and unofficial as far as the movies are concerned; different film studios own the movie rights to the various characters. Sony owns rights to Spider-Man, Disney (previously Paramount Pictures) owns rights to The Avengers, and Fox owns rights to The X-Men and the Fantastic Four. Fans ignore these limitations, supported in this by the fact that in the Marvel Comics, all the characters of the Marvel Universe interact and often appear in each others' comics.
In February 2015, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced a licensing deal that would allow Spider-Man to appear in the MCU, to a largely positive reception from fans. Tom Holland made his first appearance as Spider-Man in the MCU with a minor role in Captain America: Civil War, and will appear in his own film, Spider-Man: Homecoming in 2017. Marvel Studios has also explored the possibility of incorporating other MCU characters into future Spider-Man films, with Robert Downey Jr. confirmed to be reprising his role as Iron Man in Spider-Man: Homecoming.
Fanvids and fanart such as picspams also take a similar approach for the MCU fandom, adding additional characters from the other Marvel films such as X-Men Movieverse, Spider-Man/The Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.
- See The Avengers Movieverse, Iron Man Movieverse, Captain America Movieverse and Thor Movieverse for more details about the fandom specific to each sub-series.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe MultiFemale // One Woman Army by Cantrous
- MultiMale Marvel Cinematic Universe // Talk Dirty by Cantrous
- Marvel Cinematic Universe Miltiary Industrial Complex // Hey Ho by thuvia parth
- MCU Dance Off by lim
- Captain America and Bucky are Just Friends (2015)
- On Shipping: What’s Disney’s, What’s Yours, and What’s Mine (2015)
- MCU Meta Directory by Domenika Marzione (domarzione)
- MCU fanwork production //Wherefore Art Thou Thor? by yourlibrarian (2015)
- Stuck in the 70s? Pop Music in the MCU by yourlibrarian
- Marvel Metas, a Tumblr blog collecting various meta pieces about various characters
- Previously titled "Avengers: Infinity War Part 2"; In July 2016, Marvel removed the film's title leaving it "Untitled" for now Wikipedia. The film name was announced in Dec 2018 witht the release of the first trailer.
- Originally going to be a film, it was changed into a TV series after Agents of Shield used the Inhumans storyline.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (Television). Wikipedia. (Accessed 21 November 2016).
- Robert Downey Jr. Joins 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'. The Hollywood Reporter. Posted April 21, 2016. (Accessed November 21, 2016)