Captain Marvel (film)
|Creator:||Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (Directors and screenplay), with Geneva Robertson-Dworet (screenplay)|
Based On: Captain Marvel by Stan Lee & Gene Colan, Carol Danvers by Roy Thomas & Gene Colan
|Country of Origin:||US|
|External Links:||Wikipedia, Official Website|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Captain Marvel is a 2019 superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Carol Danvers, produced by Marvel Studios. It is part of the greater MCU canon, and includes fan favourite MCU characters Nick Fury and Phil Coulson. This film introduces Monica Rambeau, Maria Rambeau and Yon-Rogg to the MCU.
Carol Danvers was a highly anticipated addition to the MCU and many of her fans were looking forward to her debut in her first standalone film.
Saying I'm ecstatic seems an understatement. I've been waiting for this movie for over 15/16 years, though its only in the last ten that a movie could be considered even possible. (Since the MCU began). Since Iron Man I've been looking out for Easter eggs/references/cameos (does anyone else remember the rumours that the blonde woman in A1 that gets rescued by Cap was Carol?) in every MCU movie.
Some of the fandom were confused by the appearance of the character in early leaked photos, which lacked the character's iconic suit and hairstyle from the comics. There was much discussion and theory crafting as a result of the photos.
The femslash pairing of Carol Danvers/Maria Rambeau was the most popular pairing immediately following the release of the film, and it remains the most popular in this fandom. Gen works featuring these two and Maria's daughter Monica Rambeau are also common.
Other pairings include Carol Danvers/Yon-Rogg.
There are also many works focusing on Goose, the cat formerly known as Chewie in the Captain Marvel comics.
[Topics to expand upon: Smilegate, calling Captain Marvel a Mary Sue(before release), feminist comments by actress, backlash and boycott attempts]
- “I think the Maria dynamic is really important in this movie. She is the representation of love in this film” by persehpone
- My uh favorite part of the Captain Marvel movie was when Carol and her “gal pal” bought a house and raised a kid together and had a sweet summer wedding and lived happily ever after thank you by isakisol
- mcu’s best married couple by anitheas
- smooch by thisartwillperishallthatihate
- The Danvers-Rambeau Family, before it all happened by gibbarts
- What Fandom Racism Looks Like: Only 33 Words in a Trailer by Stitch
- One thing I’m salty Endgame didn’t address at all: Were Maria and Monica dusted? by takaraphoenix
- captain marvel thoughts by hexenmeister
Archives & Links
- Tags: Captain Marvel 2019, Captain Marvel Film, Captain Marvel Movie, captainmarveledit
- Love and Support for Captain Marvel movie on Tumblr, a microblog dedicated to stand up for the hate for the Captain Marvel film.
- Comment by reddit user TheLadySif_1 on Media Fandom Project (Input Wanted!) discussion in r/CaptainMarvel, January 2019