Bisexuality and Fandom
|Trope · Genre|
|See Also:||Mspec Fandom, Queer Fandom|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- In the Animorphs YA series, Marco was hinted to be bisexual, and coauthor Michael Grant confirmed they had feared that publishers or networks would not allow an explicitly bi character at the time the series was coming out.
- There is some debate in the Legend of Korra fandom over whether Korra and Asami are bisexual or lesbian. Given that both have been in relationships with Mako, general opinion likely leans more towards the former.
- Dr. Remy Hadley in House, M.D. is bisexual and was shown in relationships with both men and women.
- Eleanor Shellstrop in The Good Place was confirmed to be "super bisexual" by William Jackson Harper, who plays Chidi Anagonye.
- Jacob Frye in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - After much fan discourse over Jacob's interactions with Maxwell Roth, the official Assassin's Creed Tumblr account posted that "Jacob Frye is bisexual. This is canon. The end." Many fans ship Jacob with Maxwell, who was confirmed as canonically gay.
- Kassandra and Alexios in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey are functionally bisexual, being able to romance/sleep with men and women. However the developers have not stated a canon sexuality for them, as the game design emphasizes player choice.
- The same goes for Eivor in the follow-up game, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.
- Billie Lurk in Dishonored - In Dishonored 2, the player can find an audiograph recorded by Billie which states "I've loved a number of women and even a couple of men".
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses has eight bisexual characters:
- Byleth, the player avatar
- Edelgard von Hresvelg, leader of the Black Eagles
- Dorothea Aranult of the Black Eagles
- Linhardt von Hevring of the Black Eagles
- Mercedes von Martriz of the Blue Lions
- Lady Rhea, who is not playable but a very important NPC the player can build support with (though she can only be romanced on the Silver Snow route)
- Jeritza von Hrym, a Crimson Flower-exclusive unit
- Yuri Leclerc of the Ashen Wolves (Paid DLC only)
History of the Genre
Discourse and Meta
- Bisexuality and Fanfic
- Mulder's Bisexuality: An Interpretation of His Band of Gold (May 1998) by Sonya Schryer - The X-Files
- One of the funniest things about harry potter is how jkr accidentally made harry incredibly bisexual. (2016 or before) by transpoe - Harry Potter
When NPCs in video games can be romanced by a protagonist regardless of the protagonist character's gender, this is sometimes deemed "Playersexuality" and has been criticized as poor representation.
Biphobia in Fandom
- Any other bi people who are into fandoms and shipping sick of bi erasure?
Harry Potter with the bi pride flag, fanart by Siggi, 2017.
Assassin's Creed fanart featuring Ned Wynert holding a large trans pride flag, Leonardo da Vinci with a rainbow pride flag worn as a cape, and both Jacob Frye and Kassandra sheltered under a large bisexual pride flag. The Assassin's Creed symbol in rainbow colors is above Leo's head. By A Random Trickster, 2020.
Communities & Resources
- "The Bisexuality Report: Bisexual inclusion in LGBT equality and diversity" (PDF). Centre for Citizenship, Identity and Governance, The Open University. 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2020.
Bisexuality generally refers to having attraction to more than one gender.
- Flanders, Corey E. (March 15, 2017). "Under the Bisexual Umbrella: Diversity of Identity and Experience". Journal of Bisexuality. Retrieved 8 January 2020.
Bisexuality as a single identity encompasses so many different meanings and attractions and behaviors for people who explicitly identify as bisexual. The general identity definition most commonly used, attraction to more than one gender, then leaves room for the multitudinous expressions of that identity.
- "What is Bisexuality?". Full Read. Retrieved 8 January 2020.
Bisexuality is a dynamic spectrum that includes all sexuality that isn't limited to one sex.
- u/yokartikdahaneler (22 July 2017). "On Korra's (and Asami's) sexual orientation". r/korrasami. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Jackman, Josh (1 October 2018). "The Good Place star reveals that Eleanor is 'super bisexual'". PinkNews. Retrieved 3 February 2021.
- Wright, Steve (14 June 2018). "Assassin's Creed Odyssey gay, lesbian, straight, bisexual, asexual relationships are possible". Stevivor. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Cole, Alayna (27 September 2017). "Avoiding the avoidable: Why 'optional' queer content isn't solving the diversity problem (and how to fix this)". Gamasutra.com. Retrieved 12 March 2021.
- Solar, By Arin (3 March 2021). "Are Player-Based Romances in RPGs Representation?". Game Rant. Retrieved 12 March 2021.